PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been stopped by customs at LHR

colin244
23rd Apr 2007, 17:12
Personally I have been stopped and searched on return from my last 4 trips (in 18 months) and apart from a few cigs over nothing as declared in the green channel which is getting a bit annoying but hey its their job however I am interested if other members are getting the same ie arrival from BKK or is it me?

Please do not post its you :D
Thank you
colin 244

colin244
23rd Apr 2007, 17:12
Personally I have been stopped and searched on return from my last 4 trips (in 18 months) and apart from a few cigs over nothing as declared in the green channel which is getting a bit annoying but hey its their job however I am interested if other members are getting the same ie arrival from BKK or is it me?

Please do not post its you :D
Thank you
colin 244

mellowsailor
23rd Apr 2007, 21:34
It might be you! - if only because your name and date of birth are similar to someone who is of serious interest to them. I once was held up at Eva Air checkin for 20 minutes or more without explanation until the station manager arrived and took a look at me and my passport and then told me it was because of someone with very similar details on their "Not to Fly" list.

ash
23rd Apr 2007, 22:16
There is no choice for never been stopped :confused: must be my honest face :angel:

ash

Marcus
23rd Apr 2007, 22:36
Same as Ash!

The only time I've ever had trouble was entering Korea with Dao and a suitcase full of fresh mangoes and other Thai fruit and veg. Had them all taken off us. :cry:

Should have known better!

mikew
23rd Apr 2007, 22:54
i have been stopped at manchester and liverpool on the last 7-8 times,i believe they have a profile and pull over everyone who fits it.

fish
23rd Apr 2007, 23:29
Never been stopped, this may be as early in the morning in the winter LRH never seems to have any heating working so maybe all the customs staff are huddled round a candle to keep warm. :lol:

Phillip & Joy
24th Apr 2007, 00:03
I've never been stopped! Maybe something to do with always flying with Etihad and my departure point to the UK being from Abu Dhabi. This time flying in with Thai Airlines direct. Fully expecting this to be the first time I get stopped

db1
24th Apr 2007, 00:57
Only once in about twenty flights from Thailand never on another flights same as Ash must be my honest face :)

smarty
24th Apr 2007, 01:07
Same as Phillipp. Have always used Etihad (Gatwick) & never been stopped. Gatwick had sniffer dogs checking everyone (all flights) when I last returned on 1st March !! Mind you, there was a flight just in from Jamaica. Out to LOS again tomorrow using Etihad from Heathrow.

Lucky
24th Apr 2007, 02:04
Never been stopped returning from Thailand in around forty plus trips. Honest looking chap that I am ;)

siamsteve
24th Apr 2007, 02:48
Ditto never been stopped coming from Thailand

rob c
24th Apr 2007, 03:00
Same here, never been stopped coming in from Thailand. Last time I was stopped it was arriving from Columbo in around 1992. Before that was 1988 in Tel Aviv, strip searched that time, didn't have to bend over though thankfully! :eek:

prioritypress
24th Apr 2007, 03:25
Never been stopped.

It amazes me... people put thousands of ciggies in their luggage, which is x-rayed, and then wonder why they've been stopped??? :help:

Nick

Gary & Nok
24th Apr 2007, 04:11
Never been stopped either :) and that's flying direct and via middle east.

BigRed
24th Apr 2007, 04:13
I've never been stopped in my life, must be more than 100 trips to various destinations.

BigRed

colin244
24th Apr 2007, 05:18
Looks like its me then ;)
colin 244

oldoldgit
24th Apr 2007, 05:40
Colin,
Do they ask for your autograph also? you do look similar to a famous American actor, was in a lot of cowboy films. :)

Have never been searched also.

prioritypress
24th Apr 2007, 06:16
Originally posted by prioritypress:
Never been stopped.

It amazes me... people put thousands of ciggies in their luggage, which is x-rayed, and then wonder why they've been stopped??? :help:

Nick

Just remembered, was stopped once by passport control on the way out of Gatwick :confused:

Nick

cardiffnoddy
24th Apr 2007, 14:10
Been stopped 3 times at Heathrow though wasn't the last time I was there. I did ask the customs official the last time I was stopped why I kept getting stopped and was told it was because I was a young male travelling alone from Thailand. Though I'm sure on one occasion I travelled via Kuwait.

upcountry
24th Apr 2007, 14:14
I get stopped nearly everytime, my wife did coming over to the uk for the first time as well. I have had them peeping up me arse as well...

Casey Jones
24th Apr 2007, 14:26
Got stopped entering Australia many years ago. That involved questioning & an in depth search. Got stopped at Hong Kong by the visa stamp dude. He & 3 of his mates nearly died laughing comparing me to my passport pic before they eventually let me in. :confused:

colin244
24th Apr 2007, 15:40
upc,

Glad I'm not alone them but haven't had an inspection yet however the nice young men at LHR customs seem to enjoy delving into my dirty underwear (without gloves) :eek:
whilst trying to have a normal coversation about the weather etc :crazy:
colin 244

colin244
24th Apr 2007, 16:18
oldoldgit,

:lol: I have also been known to be a bit robotic as well :D
Regards
colin 244

colin244
24th Apr 2007, 16:20
cardiffnoddy,

Maybe I should take it as a compliment HM Customs think I'm a young man :D
colin 244

colin244
24th Apr 2007, 16:23
mikew,

Your probably right and unfortunately I seem to fit it :rolleyes:
colin 244

Noi & Nick
25th Apr 2007, 04:27
Never been stopped at any airport.

In my youth I used to be a caver, and went on two expeditions to the Atlas Mountains.

On one we were stopped by Moroccan customs crossing the border into Ceuta (Spanish Morocco) in an old Land Rover with two mates (can't think what he might have been looking for :angel:).

Pristine customs officer in a very clean, neatly pressed uniform started to feel around under the vehicle when a look of distaste crossed his face. He withdrew his hand, now covered in a mixture of old engine oil, diesel and camelsh and angrily waved us away. As I drove off I could see in the mirror him wiping his hand on a wall, trying to get rid of the muck.

On a previous trip, this time in a group of 16, we were stopped by UK customs getting off the ferry at Plymouth.

"Where have you been?"
"Morocco."
"What's in these rucksacks?"
"Caving gear."
"Let's have a look."

He opened the first, and the stench of caving gear worn, but not washed, for 6 weeks wafted out.

"God, that stinks! ****** off out of here," he said as he let us go.

rolyshark
25th Apr 2007, 05:49
Only ever stopped once at LHR and never returning from LOS.

However,until 5 years ago,I was regular stoppee at just about every entry/exit point.

Been stopped three times leaving East Midlands by Special Branch and twice at Harwich.
Stopped on every single return to Harwich 2/3 times pa from 1982-98.
Stopped at East Midlands inbound (about 20%)
Stopped at Manchester twice inbound. (100%)
Stopped at Birmingham twice inbound (100%)
Stopped at Gatwick once (50%)
Stopped at Dover (about 30%)
Stopped at Southampton (100%)

Stopped at Austria/Yugoslavia border-incident involving Serbian drug smugglers/dogs/machine guns et al
Further hairy event in No Man's Land Greek/Albanian border,which had all the hallmarks of making the evening news as an international incident.
Never been stopped in USA-they don't let me get that far,visa refused in 1980.

In all the stoppages/searches never had anything confiscated or had to pay duty on anything.

If ever you see me in a queue at an airport,get behind me and you'll breeze through :)

cardiffnoddy
25th Apr 2007, 09:02
I just remembered about 15 years ago I got stopped and searched for drugs at Harwich going to HOLLAND!!! Who takes drugs to Holland? :lol:

GTG
25th Apr 2007, 12:45
Many years ago, I was Inter-railing with a mate and we had spent a pleasant few days on a barge in Amsterdam with a guy who provided my mate with a generous quantity of nature's finest to get him through the rest of the trip. We took a train to Hamburg and, to be honest, I never even thought about the fact that we might get a visit on the train from the border police.

I was having a nice quiet sitdown in the toilet when we crossed the border and was most disgruntled by the hammering on the door and the shouting which I assumed was just an impatient passenger. When I eventually opened up I was shoved up against the wall and frisked while another cop searched the cubicle. All the time I was wondering what had happened to my mate and his dope and I was surprised and relieved to find him sitting in the carriage with a daft, stoned grin on his face. I couldn't really relax for the rest of the journey and was glad to leave the train, though still twitchy as we walked past police in the station.

When we eventually got settled I asked my mate how he hadn't got caught and managed to look so relaxed. "Oh", he said, "I was having a quiet smoke when I saw the police getting on the train so I hid the dope in your rucksack and you've been carrying it ever since!"

johnb
25th Apr 2007, 13:06
Mam and I were stopped in Lisbon last summer, first time ever for us. Bearing in mind I am a distinguished elderly headteacher and not exactly prime suspect for drug or armament offences, I blame my wife !!

They asked me to open the first suitcase...clothes and more clothes. The second please sir....right on top of more clothes was a plastic bag of fresh chillies....ah, sir, very piquant, said the customs officer with a sense of humour. OK off you go. He didn't ask us to open the third bag which was stuffed with fresh green papaya, holy basil,ka-chai root(can't spell), kaffir lime leaves,pomelo, etc etc. you name it..it was all there apart from drugs, weapons and more than 90ml of Hugo Boss(worst crime of all these days).

John B