Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A1 English Test for settlement visa

My Wife is in Scotland with me now and is heading back to Thailand at the en of January. i need to get her the English test for the settlement visa. i am finding it hard to get anyone in Scotland. does anyone now any places in scotland doing this test or even in Bangkok. the ones i have found are all in London.
    Thank you Denis

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one centre in Edinburgh, Dundee and in Glasgow.So where about's in Scotland do you live?

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

1 Pitman Training Centre
    26 York Place Edinburgh
    Telephone: 0131 477 7639 0.78 miles
    Click here for location map and further details.

2 Overgate Learning Centre
    Level 10 City House Overgate Learning Centre Dundee
    Telephone: 01382 227172 58.16 miles

3 Adelphi Flexible Learning Unit
    12 Commercial Road Glasgow
    Telephone: 0141 565 2661 66.00 miles

4 System Group
    English Gate Plaza Botchergate Carlisle Cumbria
    Telephone: 01228 574000 119.52 miles

5 Learning Links
    Unit 28 Lynnwood Business Centre Newcastle upon Tyne
    Telephone: 0191 2734281 147.12 miles

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denisd75 View Post
    My Wife is in Scotland with me now and is heading back to Thailand at the en of January. i need to get her the English test for the settlement visa. i am finding it hard to get anyone in Scotland. does anyone now any places in scotland doing this test or even in Bangkok. the ones i have found are all in London.
    Thank you Denis
    We could test her in Bangkok if you don't get sorted before she leaves UK. Click on our ad to get our website, and there click on the 'A1 Test' link.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Visa2Go
    Sorry to hijack this thread, just wanted to know is it correct that once the test is passed then it is "only" valid for 2 years, so for example if my GF took the Test now Dec 2010 but did not apply for a settlement visa until Dec 2013 then even if she passed now then the Test result would no longer be valid at that time?, is it a 2 year validity period?
    Thanks
    John

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneAlanShearer View Post
    Hi Visa2Go
    Sorry to hijack this thread, just wanted to know is it correct that once the test is passed then it is "only" valid for 2 years, so for example if my GF took the Test now Dec 2010 but did not apply for a settlement visa until Dec 2013 then even if she passed now then the Test result would no longer be valid at that time?, is it a 2 year validity period?
    Thanks
    John
    From the horse's mouth - FAQ on EMD's website:-
    "
    How long will the test results be valid?

The certificate is valid for a period of 2 years from the date of issue."

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Visa2Go

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lamai,

The addresses you gave for Scotland unfortunately do not do the new tests. I have contacted over 20 colleges and language schools in Scotland, only Stevenson Colege in Edinburgh knew about the new tests and they wil not be able to test until sometime in the New Year.
    As yet I have been unable to find anywhere to do the test in Scotland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canadaguy View Post
    ... only Stevenson Colege in Edinburgh knew about the new tests ...
    canadaguy, these 'A1' tests are not actually 'new'. They have been about for some time - the only thing 'new' is the requirement to have passed (at least) the level A1 test to apply for settlement.

These are not specific 'immigration' tests - like the Life in the UK Test.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember if your partner holds a degree in Thailand (and anywhere else I'd guess???) for a course that was taught in English, they do not have to take this test.

Post Thanks / Like

But be careful when your wife tells you she has a "degree". A friend of mine's wife has 5 or 6 degrees. All were presented by a member of the Thai Royal family with photos in "cap and gown". These degrees were in "swimming pool maintenance", "dress making", "hairstyling". etc. etc. They were the equivalent of what we would call diplomas, I suppose.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Canadaguy, Is your wife in the UK..If so, What visa does your wife have?

You can view www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk and find a center near you. If not. Then telephone the UKBA|.

Post Thanks / Like

Lamai,

This is not about the LiUK test.

Keith

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

She is applying for "Further Leave to Remain"
    I have contacted almost every college and language school in Scotland. Yes many knew of A2 access level, which comprises 4 parts, only two of which are required for A1 as required for her visa application. All the colleges will only take students enrolled for a course, none will test without this. There are no private businesses like EMD UK in Leeds that I, or any of my friends, can find in Scotland.
    Her degree was only partly done in English, therefore it will not be considered for this. (Incidentaly, we have spoken to the partner of a large Accounting business who checked her degree, I can assure you it is not for "dress making" or something similar, and is at a level only marginally lower than the equivalent here)
    UBKA were their usual help, none. They only kept repeating "look at the web site", the only Scottish entry is SQA. SQA do not test, they only approve other bodies for testing. All the contacts they gave me will not do this test.
    So we still have nowhere to test that does not involve a 900 mile round trip. This is an unbelievable situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Lamai,

This is not about the LiUK test.

Keith
    Maybe not but its an alternative
    Old enough to remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe an alternative, but not when there is only a short time to obtain a certificate.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Tobias - Appreciate that each of the approved test bodies have had qualifications equivalent to the A1 test for some time. However the way that they organise these tests is very much tied up to studying with them for several months and then conducting the tests.
    Living in the same region as Canadaguy my initial investigations were just as fruitless as his. Having spoken with him I know that he has thoroughly researched all possabilities in Scotland and his findings are disturbing.
    You could argue that a number of us are caught in a change-over period (ie partner entered before Nov 29 deadline and therefore did not take the test in BKK) however the system is not set up around the country for people to take the test on demand.
    Fortunately EMD in Leeds do the test weekly and I was able to arrange for M to take the test whilst we were visiting family in Manchester. As Canadaguy states there is no such facility in Scotland and there is a total lack of knowledge at the colleges / test bodies of the new requirements and potential needs. I would assume that the situation will be similar for the colleges / test bodies in England / Wales.
    Whilst at the test centre it was interesting to briefly speak with a Chinese girl who spoke perfect English, has been in the UK for 3 years and has just completed a Masters. I would suggest that she was better educated and spoke better English than the person taking her for the test !!
    The knowledge and information provided on this site has been invaluable to me throughout the VV & VAF process however I think that this topic needs to be reviewed in more detail. The situation is not as clear-cut as might be initially thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canadaguy View Post
    Maybe an alternative, but not when there is only a short time to obtain a certificate.

It takes an hour ?? Assuming she reads english studying the book requires a week or so.
    Old enough to remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    It takes an hour ?? Assuming she reads english studying the book requires a week or so.
    I think your cart is in front of your horse ash, as this requires a decent level of English, Entry Level 3 I believe.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'A1' Speaking & Listening test for the certificate to support a settlement application lasts about 10 minutes.

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Visa-2go,

Despite what other subscribers have been saying, it would appear that Pagan1 and myself have the facts as they pertain to our situation, correct. The A1 Assessment is a very short test, and if the applicant can speak and understand basic English, there is no need for any course work , or enrolment in classes.
    The only problem is where to do it.