Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default National Insurance number

Hi everyone. Lampao has been here in Wales with me since July 2010 and all going well. She is on a settlement visa. She feels she is now ready to work part time. My question is, how do we obtain a National Insurance number for her please? She will only earn a small amount, approx £100 per week which i think falls below the threshold for contributions, but we want to do everything properly. Many thanks in advance.
    PS Anyone one know how long it takes to obtain the NI number too pls

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

hi yanto had to take my wife to welshpool for NI number the other option is Liverpool

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Alan. Is there a tax office there then? Was it fairly straight forward? What information was required please?

Post Thanks / Like

hi yanto you have to go to jobcenter plus make an appointment on the phone first
    as for info take a utility bill, passport and visa to show her right to work in uk
    easy to do

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Alan. There are Jobcentre Plus offices in Wrexham and Oswestry, we cant use one of those? It has to be Welshpool?

Post Thanks / Like

Full details here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ance/DG_190057

If you're looking for work, starting work or setting up as self-employed you will need a National Insurance number. If you have the right to work in the UK, you will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 (lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday) to arrange to get one. They may require you to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview - see the section 'What happens when you apply for a National Insurance number'.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Paul. Thats the number i called earlier today. Gave them Lampao's details which will be forwarded to the Glasgow office, who inturn, will send out the necessary application form.

Post Thanks / Like

yes had to use welshpool dont do interviews in wrexham or chester i rang them both, crazy i know

Post Thanks / Like

We went through the same process, interview at job centre and the normal amount of paper work to take along, passports, proof of address etc.

The only stumbling block was the job centre we used wanted the place of work, the wife had only a verbal offer in a local restaurant which the job centre accepted so all was well and good.

Ivan and Nong

Post Thanks / Like

I went into the Job Centre who only give you the phone no to apply to. Rang them and had an application form sent . Form arrived within 7 days and a NI no 2 weeks later. Jan started work on the number alone. NI Numbercard arrived 2 weeks ago. No interviews ..nothing just a NI no. All very painless.

Melnathan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    I went into the Job Centre who only give you the phone no to apply to. Rang them and had an application form sent . Form arrived within 7 days and a NI no 2 weeks later. Jan started work on the number alone. NI Numbercard arrived 2 weeks ago. No interviews ..nothing just a NI no. All very painless.

Melnathan
    i heard this of someone else , each county is different i guess

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_link View Post
    Why, alanr? This should, ordinarily, be a simple process.

My wife's application form arrived within a few days of applying by phone in November 2010 to Jobcentre Plus, returned the form signed with photocopy of passport and visa page, and within two weeks had a letter with confirmation of her new NI number, and just last month received her NI card.
    Was probably this one, alan.

Post Thanks / Like

We have received Lampao's application for today from the DSS. Completed and returned. Hopefully thats the end of it

Post Thanks / Like

N.I thresholds 2010/2011 £97.00 - 2011/2012 £102.00

Post Thanks / Like

hi all, rang job centre plus today for advice about daughter-in-law getting a national insurance number and was told she had to have a reason for being issued with one, such as job offer. i told them she wasn't planning to work at the moment and was told she can't get one until she does, iv read on the forum about getting ni number but i can't seem to find what im looking for, any advice would be very grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi tangmo,

It was no problem for my wife to get one. I called the dedicated NI number on the Directgov website. They asked what visa my Mrs had, when she arrived in the UK and why she wanted an NI number. I simply told them my wife was planning to register as self employed (which at the time we were considering). Didn't need any job offer or anything like that. They sent a form out in the post which we returned with a copy of her passport/visa and her NI number came through a couple of weeks later

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks steve i will look into it some more. have you still got the number you rang then i can check it with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Tangmo

call them again and hopefully you'll get to speak to someone else. The same thing happened to me when I made enquiries for my wife. I said she wasn't planning to work yet and was told the same, she doesn't need a card unless she's working or claiming benefits.

Having read some other advice in a different thread, I called them again, spoke to someone else and answered the question differently. No problem that time, they sent out an application form and a letter came back today notifying us of the wife's NI number.

As far as I can recall, when I got my own NI number and card it was a long time before I actually started working and making contributions, and there wasn't any stipulation on when I had to use it, so I can't see why it should be any different in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks millsey how did you answer differently. did you say your wife was getting a job or intended to get work.they also said she would have to go for intetview.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tangmo View Post
    Thanks steve i will look into it some more. have you still got the number you rang then i can check it with mine.
    0845 600 0643

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ance/DG_190057

When starting work or setting up as self-employed

If you start work or set up as self-employed you must apply for a National Insurance number if you do not have one. You do not need to have a plastic National Insurance number card. If you have the right to work in the UK, you will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 to arrange to get one. Lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday and are normally less busy before 9.00 am. They may require you to attend an 'Evidence of identity' interview - see the section 'What happens when you apply for a National Insurance number'.
    If you're not a UK citizen and want to find out whether you have the right to work in the UK, see the link below 'Documents you will need before you can work in the UK'. The other two links below explain how you'll pay tax and National Insurance when working.

What to expect at the 'Evidence of identity' interview

The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). You will be asked questions about why you need a National Insurance number, your background and circumstances.
    You will also have to prove your identity. Bring as many 'identity documents' (originals, not photocopies) as you can to your interview. Examples of documents which count are:

• valid passport (UK or foreign)
    • national identity card (UK or foreign)
    • residence permit or residence card including biometric immigration residency documents
    • full birth or adoption certificate
    • full marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • driving licence (UK or foreign)

If you don't have any of these - or other - identity documents you still must go to the interview. The information you are able to provide might be enough to prove your identity.
    During the interview a National Insurance number application form will be completed and you will be asked to sign it.

What happens next?

If you were asked to provide additional information you will need to do this by the agreed date. Jobcentre Plus will write and let you know whether your application was successful and what your National Insurance number is.
    Tell your employer your National Insurance number as soon as you know it. Do not share your National Insurance number with anyone who does not need it as this might help someone to steal your identity.
    Keep the letter telling you what your National Insurance number is safe as it is a useful reminder of your number. However, the letter on its own cannot be used to prove your identity and you do not need it to apply for a job or before starting to work. It's the National Insurance number itself that's important.
    If you would like written confirmation of your National Insurance number in Welsh telephone the HMRC Welsh Language Helpline on 0300 200 1900. Lines are open from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday.

There was no mention of an interview when I called, but I know some forum members wife's have had them before. For us the form was just sent through the post, nothing more

Steve