Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thread: Manao dong

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Manao dong

Has anyone got a good recipe for manao dong (salted limes) ? I have seen a few with slightly different methods but am not sure of the best way - and I don't want to find I have a bum recipe three months down the line. For example, I have seen one method here the limes are boiled gently before salting, and another where salt is rubbed into softened limes and left overnight before salting.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried this and Sea is away. She mosly uses Thai language food webforums . I have though always found http://www.joysthaifood.com/ fairly authentic and there is a version of Manao dong there which involves rubbing it with a stone first.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Richard. I shall certainly use that link in future. In the meantime, I have made my first batch of manao dong. I was trying to make it as a surprise for Pook, but I have now sought her advice (she learnt from her step mum). I think the method below is going to be a "best" recipe:
    VERY gently remove the rind from 10 limes ( for a small storage jar full). Be careful not to pierce the inner skin, as you do not want lemon juice leaching into the brine solution later.
    Steam for 15 minutes in a steamer, or for a bit longer in a colander over a pan of boiling water.
    Let them dry our for a day
    Make enough salt solution to completely cover the limes. a ratio 4 water to 1 salt is fine.Heat the water until the salt dissolves completely
    Add a dessert spoon ( half tablespoon) of sugar and dissolve
    When it is cool, cover the limes in the brine, using a sterilised jar or other sealed container
    Leave for 3 months or longer if you want.
    I shall post a recipe of how to use them in cooking later. Does anyone else wish to xcontribute ?

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

Err I think is the word from here although the other half probably does as grows various fruits over there but currently in LOS enjoying songkran and stuck there due to visa problems

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Colin Nice to talk to you again. What's with the visa issues ? Nothing serious I hope. In the meantime I suggest you make her some manao dong as it should be ready by the time she come back !!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

She didn't pass the speaking and listening test in time for FLR so visa expired whilst in LOS while she was taking care of her mother with cancer and a run away daughter I am going out there in a couple of weeks to see her so I think its more likely she will be doing the receipe for me

Regards

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

That sound like a real pain in the bum Cilon. Best of luck in getting that sorted. At least you are in the right place if you need any advice

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you and your wife, colin. I hope you can get something sorted out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John & Link,

I don't quite know what to do about this so will go to LOS and see what the other half thinks i.e. is she staying there to sort the problem or not If she ditches the problem it looks like start again with visa

Regards

colin 244