Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

Default Form MN1 - application for child (naturalisation)

We have our appointment on Friday for my wife and step daughter at the National Checking Office.

My wife to Naturalise as a British Citizen and step daughter to register as a Britsh Citizen (as only 11 years old).

Question on form MN1 for a child under 18.

1.1 Please indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered.

1.2 Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference number.

My wife has ILR and I am a British citizen (born in the UK).

Can anyone please advise what I should write as questions 1.1 and 1.2?

Is 1.2 the number on my daughters ILE (top right hand corner of visa)?

Many thanks
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

The UKBA doesn't expect you to get the relevant section of the BNA right, but in this instance it's 3(1) - registration at the Secretary of State's discretion.

The reference number will be the first letter of your wife's surname followed by a series of numbers, and should be on any previous correspondence you've had from the UKBA. However, if you don't know it, just leave the box blank.

Post Thanks / Like

Had our appointment booked with the National Checking Service since Feb and go this Friday.......now just discovered the translation of our marriage certificate isn't an original translation with the stamp on - it's a photocopy (be it a very good copy)........think when we submitted my step daughters application last year the original was kept by the VFS/British Embassy and they returned a copy instead.

Therefore I go arm in arm on Friday with our Thai Marriage Certificate (original in Thai) and a translated copy in English (but a copy - very good one) - am I likely to get this refused and have to get it re-translated for the sake of a coloured stamp on it......or hopefully will the National Checking Officer allow this slight oversite or possibly not even notice?

All our other translated copies, ie. daughters birth certificate and evidence of sole responsibility are stamped with a blue stamp from a translated agency in Bangkok - it's just the marriage certificate in English is a copy.
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

The checking service can't refuse to pass on an application to the UKBA.

The initial arbiter of whether the translation copy is 'acceptable' will be the UKBA caseworker. However, bear in mind that the case only needs to be demonstrated to the balance of probabilities, and one would presume that as the UKBA has already accepted on 2 occasions that you are lawfully married - once when the initial visa was issued and once when ILR was granted - they'd be on a sticky wicket if they were to now say that they don't accept it.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m0ntecarl0 View Post
    ...think when we submitted my step daughters application last year the original was kept by the VFS/British Embassy and they returned a copy instead.
    Not sure the Embassy should have kept the original in the first place, m0ntecarl0, though besides the point at this present time.

Post Thanks / Like

They kept a couple of original documents that we submitted for my step daughters application, thus letters from the school in Thailand and England together with a couple of photo's and now it seems the original translation of our marriage certificate.
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Post Thanks / Like

Chris. It may seem like an obvious question, but have you contacted them to ask for it back? They should not have kept it.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told (by other members on T-UK) it's common practice that photo's and especially letters are kept when an application is put in.

I only discovered on Tuesday this week (nearly a year after submitting my step daughters application) that the translated copy of our marriage certificate is not the original..........in the scale of things when the application was returned a year ago I didn't check thoroughly - I suppose we were so happy the application was approved that I put my trust in everything was returned (obviously not).

A year on, I will e.mail VFS centre in Bangkok today to see if they would look at returning these to me but as Merseymike kindly advises, I would hope the application for my wife and step daughters Citizenship wouldn't hinder on a photocopied translation of our marriage certificate.

What are the chances (a year on) getting the VFS to post this to us in the UK or Thailand? Unlikely I would think......
    Last edited by m0ntecarl0; 26th May 2011 at 08:39.
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m0ntecarl0 View Post
    ... What are the chances (a year on) getting the VFS to post this to us in the UK or Thailand? Unlikely I would think......
    I can see no reason why VFS would hold any documentation, there is no need for them to have it.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I mean to contact the VFS as they were always the point of call for any correspondence/questions, etc with regard to visa applications.

I will see if I can locate an e.mail/tel no. for the Embassy in Bangkok instead then......see if I have any luck with them.
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather than go through the VFS, I'd e-mail the visa section directly at visaenquiries.bangkok@fco.gov.uk.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also add that they have kept the ORIGINAL that you provided them and as the ORIGINAL is needed by them in the UK you need it returned as you only have a COPY from the ORIGINAL previously supplied, their reply to this may help you out in what you can include with the evidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for info. had an e.mail back from the visaenquiries e.mail (thanks Merseymike) and they are holding some of the original documents/letters and will send them back to me.
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm to anyone thinking of contacting the visa section direct we got back the documents we asked for.......
    ขอแสดงความนับถือคริส