Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why so few Premium Members????

Why so few Premium Members????

To Moderators and ALL users of this site

Can someone tell me how many members T-UK has?

I am sure that it is more than 60 yet there are only 50+ Premium Members!! What I’m trying to say is that I find it astounding that we have so few members who financially contribute to this site.

So this message is to all you out there who use this site for FREE advice: Put your hand in your pocket and contribute to a worthy cause. You come here to get information that can sometimes save you £1000’s and then you ******-off without even leaving a tip. What’s £5 - it won’t even buy 20 cigarettes now! Let’s get our annual charity contribution to £1000+.

I love this site; it has a wealth of very knowledgeable people who offer their advice and time for free. This has to be the best Thailand site available on the net.

Rant over

Doug
    ( Mod’s – if this post cannot be seen by all users then please put it in a new thread)
    Last edited by maokaang; 16th Jun 2011 at 13:48. Reason: moved to public forums

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug

Less than 10% of our regularly active members are currently signed up.

It's a mere £10 a year (recently increased from a pitiful £5), all for a good cause.

Click here to sign up for Premium Membership now.

Details of our most recent charity donation here.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    Less than 10% of our regularly active members are currently signed up.
    Less than 10%! That's terrible!
    Champions 20|13

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Each to their own, but 10% is pitiful. It is, of course, up to the individual as to what their conscience deems acceptable. But I, for one, will be increasing my subs to the paltry sum of £10 for my occasional use of this font of knowledge.

I am an avid reader but seldom post as my pertinent experience of Thailand is insignificant when compared to others.

There are many experienced and knowledgeable members on here who give good solid advice to others in need, these members should not be expected to subsidise those who are inexperienced or ignorant regarding Thai issues or problems.

I fall into the latter section therefore my conscience dictates that I should pay for the good sound advice that I have had from many members of this site.

So to all you newbies out there, come-on, cough-up! It's a worthy cause and a damned good website.

Doug

Ban Na Jomtian, Chon Buri, Thailand, Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I support your post 100% Doug. I'm just wondering if its because a lot of users don't have a paypal account ? Not making excuses for the low up-take ... Is there any other method of payment ?

Post Thanks / Like

there is an option for discussing other payment methods

Post Thanks / Like

"these members should not be expected to subsidise those who are inexperienced or ignorant regarding Thai issues or problems"
    How do these members supsidise this site? The premium membership all goes to charity. Many members will already be giving to their own favoured charity and don't need to wear a badge to prove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug K View Post
    There are many experienced and knowledgeable members on here who give good solid advice to others in need, these members should not be expected to subsidise those who are inexperienced or ignorant regarding Thai issues or problems.
    I take Dougs meaning of 'subsidise' to be the giving of advice for nothing. Therefore 'subsidising' those who need the information as they are not paying for it.
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who would like to to become a Premium Member and don't want to subscribe via Paypay, please send A private message to Lee or Paul. ( takes a bit to find if you are not looking for it )

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I sent the money from my online banking to Lee who provided me his details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edcorkie View Post
    Many members will already be giving to their own favoured charity and don't need to wear a badge to prove it.
    I also give to a charity of my choice, but also like to give to this one as:

1. It is an excellent site and I have made a lot (maybe better read a few) friends on here (and probably some enemies too ).

2. £10 is not a great deal to give and it goes to something in the country that i have come to love.

I don't see doing that is "wearing a badge" and "proving I give to charity"

Just MHO
    Champions 20|13

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is one's prerogative whether they choose to pay, or not, for this excellent service.

Though, for what amounts to 0.027 pence per day subs for an entertaining and educational site, and the proceeds to a worthy charity cause each year, I consider 10 pound a reasonable amount to part with, personally.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the advertisements pay for the running of this site? The premium membership is a charity donation is it not?

Post Thanks / Like

No one is obliged to be a premium member and they shouldn't be made to feel that they should.

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely Ed - you are spot on mate. 25% of 1 admission ticket to see your beloved Reds. Not too much to ask really is it, whether you contribute to other charities or not ?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

When I think about how much money I spank when I go out on the lash, a tenner really isnt much, but as others have said, each to their own and all that but come on, if you are a regular on here put your hand in your pocket and lets get this charity donation up to a good amount

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen

Apologies if I have ruffled anyones feathers over this. It was when I saw Paul's post stating that under 10% of active members have signed up that I inadvertently got on my soap-box and possibly spoke out of turn. But when you look at our charity donation this year, it was what? About £300....WOW!

I am not trying to force anyone to do anything they are not willing to do themselves. As I have said previously it's up to the individual. But c'mon under 10%.

As for giving to charities, yeah, I would like to think that we all do it. I always give to: RNIB, RNLI, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research, MacMillan, etc, etc, and I always buy a poppy every year too. Is this so I can look good by wearing a badge.......definitely not!!

Petchy - thank you, that was exactly what I was trying to say..............I think

Handyman - hadn't thought of that angle - I don't know many people who haven't got a PP account - because it's so easy to get one and is sooo useful.

I am happy now, I've paid my subs and I've caused a debate. If this has made some members consider the free information and advice available on this site is perhaps worth £10pa then great. Maybe soon we can get to 11% premium membership, though 50% would be nice .

Take care all and have a good weekend.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug K; 18th Jun 2011 at 01:18.

Ban Na Jomtian, Chon Buri, Thailand, Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug

You have no need to apologize for your comments and thoughts. In actual fact I think its good that you have brought this subject up ... And of course we are seeing a healthy debate. No one is arm twisting here ... I think a lot of members were shocked at the amount raised considering the total membership. But everyone who uses this site ... Be it for advice, or to post a concern or to share some information ... We all have a link to Thailand ... And it would be nice to see a healthy total going to a charity. Its not about what you already give or what the site makes on advertising. A lot of members use this site ... It pays to look at the bottom of the page sometimes and see how many members have logged on in the past ..

This post is about encouraging members to become premium members ... Nothing more.

Forum Antiquity ความเก่า dan&ploy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug,

I am sure you haven't ruffled any feathers; indeed looking at the photos of some members in Pattaya recently it seems few have feathers to be ruffled.

My own reason for not becoming a Premium member is that I only use, and have only used this site, for banter and repartee. My own visa applications were done long ago and whilst I am happy to offer some help mostly I find I am out of date with rules and regulations. So paying for a bit of banter seems a bit much and if I had to do so, well I would just retreat further into my isolated exitence. This is the only forum I read, I can't take the needless aggression of others, so whilst I fully support this forum and have made a number of mostly virtual friends on here, I could also manage without it.

But in any case, so I believe, advertising pays for the running of the site so the membership fees are only used for a charity contributions. As such, living here, I prefer to do my own thing locally, which we do through my company; the last thing was sponsorship of a stained glass window for our local temple.

This is just a personal thing, and worthy though some places are, I don't like to give to places that have religious connotations, and it seems most do. Each to their own.

Post Thanks / Like

DougK. With all due respect. I agree with Dan to a great degree. I have sponsored the building of a new temple in the wife's family's village, and am always giving donations locally, be it in dribs and drabs. I have donated personally on many occasions to this years recipient of the T-UK donation, and a very worthy cause it is. I think it is wrong to presume that not being a premium member, is about the payment.

A person becomes a premium member because it allows them to do more on this site. The number of active members is quite small compared to the overall membership, more's the pity.

It might be a good idea to have a donation button on the site, so that people can add to the fund out of their own generosity, rather than limit it to what some consider an insignificant amount.

Dave.