Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belgian Schengen Visa

We need to apply for a Schengen visa for my wife in a hurry. We will be travelling firstly to Belgium and then onwards to Norway for roughly equal amounts of time.

I am aware of the embassy of the country that seems to be offering the easiest route to a visa but won't mention the country here for fear of upsetting them as we will not be visiting that country.

So, in an effort to do the 'right thing' (as Belgium will be our first port of call), I had a look at the Belgian embassy website to see their prodedures with a view to making an application there.

My spirits were dampened as soon as I saw the letters VFS, but I digress...........

Now, either my understanding of the rules is wrong, I am reading their regulations wrong, I've missed something or VFS have got it wrong.

Take a look here:

http://www.diplomatie.be/london//med...don/mijn_tekst[1].pdf

They seem to offer the less complicated and free application procedure to spouses of EU citizens ONLY if they have a residence permit. For most of us here, our wives have Settlement visas but not residence permits. It could be that a Settlement visa is considered a residence permit but they don't say so and give photograhic examples of what is required.

Would our legal eagles please have a look at the link above. and advise me if they have got it wrong or is it just me?

Also, on the VFS main webiste there is a statement that ALL visa applicants must have Travel insurance. Is it legal for them to insist on EU family members having insurance?

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Flip as the plastic visa wifey has says residence permit so under EU legal shenanigans is it or not? as I suspect your other half has something similar.

Will be interested in the experts reply

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic visa Colin? What plastic visa? My wife simply has a visa in her passport that states Spouse/CP of Mr Flip. That's all I've ever seen - is this plastic visa something new? Are you a British citizen? Or is that her ILR? My wife is still on FLR.

On the insurance matter, I note that the Norwegian embassy state that general applicants must be covered for 30,000 Euros of medical insurance but for the spouse of an EU citizen it says they 'recommend' insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Flip. I went on to your link, and could not find schengen visa, even on search. Visa for Belgium, yes. But not schengen. Maybe a phone call would be easier.

I haven't even got a clue what you and Colin are on about.
    Dave.

Forum Antiquity ความเก่า dan&ploy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't expect sympathy this time Flip if a reindeer suddenly pulls out in front of you whilst you're travelling on your sleigh catapulting you and the present Mrs. Flip onto the hard ice and neither of you have travel insurance.

I don't have clue, not a bloody clue, but I think residence permit and ILR are one and the same.

Post Thanks / Like

The following categories of persons are not required to pay the handling fee for a short-stay visa. They receive their visa free of charge:

• The spouse, children who have not yet reached their 21st birthday and dependent parents of a Belgian or other EU citizen or Swiss national
    • Children under six years
    • School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training
    • Researchers from third countries travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research (2005/761/EC)
    • Representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations
    • Holders of diplomatic and service passports, on condition of reciprocity.
    Old enough to remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

Just apply by post to the German Embassy, you know it makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Plastic visa Colin? What plastic visa? My wife simply has a visa in her passport that states Spouse/CP of Mr Flip. That's all I've ever seen - is this plastic visa something new? Are you a British citizen? Or is that her ILR? My wife is still on FLR.
    Flip,

When wifey did the FLR about a year and a half ago the visa is not put in the passport but you get a plastic card similar to a driving licence with photo stating residence card which include all the biometrics etc and does state spouse of and work permitted etc.

Surprised no one else has commented or has wifey got the only one?

colin 244 (British Citizen)

Post Thanks / Like

First I've ever heard of it Colin - my wife's visa is slightly more recent than your wife's and its in her passport. Ex wifes FLR and ILR were in her passport - every Thai girl over here that I know has the visa in their passport.

Dan, I wouldn't dream of going without insurance - I was simply questioning their right to demand it. As for ILR - form of residence permit it may be but I know nothing in the rules that distinguishes between holders of ILR & FLR.

Keith, I agree it does make sense but there is a warning on their website stating that they are very busy and to apply for visas early.

Post Thanks / Like

Flip,

This has been in place a while something to do with ID cards for foreign people and probably FLR as the cards are issued in UK not Embassies i.e BKK.

As you were not aware of the plastic visa card you probably can't answer my question is it ok for Euro or not but maybe someone else can?

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddwjg View Post
    Flip. I went on to your link, and could not find schengen visa, even on search. Visa for Belgium, yes. But not schengen. Maybe a phone call would be easier.

I haven't even got a clue what you and Colin are on about.
    Dave.
    Dave, Belgian Visa - Schengen Visa - one and the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Flip. Are you saying that if a Thai marries a Belgian, and applies for a visa to settle in Belgium, as the wife of a Belgian, that she gets a schengen visa? I don't think that sounds correct.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave she gets a belgium residence permit which can be used in the same way as a schengen visa m just as my wife has a french residence card.
    Old enough to remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

As you know from my previous posts, I am a pedant to the 'n'th degree. I can now after posts from Flip and Ash be confident that a Belgian Visa can not be discerned from a Schengen Visa. As Flip says, they are one and the same.

Many thanks to you both.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Errr hello chaps have you forgotten the plastic visa question? or am I correct.

colin 244

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post

Dan, I wouldn't dream of going without insurance
    I should think so too after the last episode.

colin 244