Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

Default A1 test !!! dont understand it ?

Hi guys !

Am getting confused about this A1 test stuff . My wife has recently been to bkk and did a test for Listening and Reading and passed well above the score you need . Now she is telling me that she needs to pass a speaking and writing test as well. Now she has given me a link to the company website ets toeic i think there called and the example she has been given of the test is level b1 - c2 . now ive asked her bout this and she says there isnt an a1 test on its own it is all together eg a1 a2 b1 b2 c1 and so on . So i would liked to know why she is being made to take all these levels ? if she only needs a1 ? so has the uk level requirements changed ? or has anyone else came across this ? . If any 1 could explain this it would be a real big help because i am having difficulty understanding it from my wife . thanks for taking the time to read this guys hope to hear from some one soon thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should be aiming your question at the authorities who endorsed the various service provider companies in the UK and abroad, very few of whom actually provide A1 level as a stand alone test, meaning you pay more, as you are discovering. Maybe someone got a few freebies as a consequence?

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your confusion, but I'll try to provide an explanation.

Those aged between 18 and 64 who wish to apply for settlement visas for the UK need to show a pass in the speaking and listening elements of an English test provided by one of the UK Border Agency's approved providers. The list of approved providers can be found at:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...lish-tests.pdf

The test has to be at at least A1 level on the Common European Framework. A pass at a higher level is still valid, but bear in mind the certificate still has to be awarded by one of the UKBA-approved providers.

There are four elements to a language test: speaking, reading, writing and listening. As stated, those applying for intial settlement status need only pass the speaking and listening parts. However, most UKBA-approved providers do not do a speaking and listening test in isolation. From what you have written, it seems that TOEIC provides a listening/reading test and a separate speaking/writing test. This has the effect of compelling an individual to take (and pay for) two tests in order to meet the requirement to have passed both the speaking and listening elements.

Why do the providers work it this way? Well, I don't know. Cynics might suggest that it is to get people to pay for 2 tests when, if they arranged it differently and conducted a speaking/listening test alone, only one would suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

hi mate thanks for your reply . what do you mean by few freebies ?

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

I think 'Caller' is suggesting that perhaps someone at the UKBA got a day at the races or a slap-up nosebag at a fancy restaurant in return for including a given test provider on the approved list.

Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merseymike View Post
    Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.
    Especially when senior civil servants and training companies are involved!
    Last edited by caller; 4th Aug 2011 at 22:12. Reason: Clarify meaning!