Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

I will be travelling to Bkk mid October to marry my thai g/f and then submit the Visa application.

Is it true that the application must be submitted online or can we just do it in Bkk at Regent House in Bkk ?
    I was also thinking about completing the online application myself (i.e not the applicant) is this ok ? as they ask for an email address in case of query.
    I am hoping that my then wife will be able to travel to the UK approx end of December (if processing times allow) and therefore I am unsure if I am able to complete the online application right now, or do I need to wait until say end of september (i.e 3 months before end of december)..

Thank you

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ RichardSt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll receive some much more in-depth advice on this from other members but you need to also print off a copy of the online application when the submission is made in BKK.

We made our application at the start of May after the changes were made (in early April) but were not advised by the consultant that we used; therefore my partner turned up with the application printed out in a file and we ended up having to pay an agent at the VFS 500B to submit the application online for us.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Graham,

I am also heading over in mid Oct to get married! Good luck to us

I believe that the application has to be submitted online, and a paper copy needs to be taken to VFS (as Richard says).

I don't think there is a problem with completing the application yourself. On Part 10, Declaration, it asks if you used an agent or representative. Just say yes, and write your own name. Thats what i did on the last V/V.

The processing times are bad now, up to 12 weeks, like you say. I'm not sure that there is much that you can do until you are married though...

We have decided to get the legal part done as soon as i get there, so we can get the visa app in. Then we will have the ceremony later in December, when some of my family come over.

Cheers,
    Mal

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mal, and good luck to you in october

I read somewhere that the application cannot be submitted more than 3 months before the date of travel or visa start (not sure which), and also not sure if this only applies to Visit Visas ? hopefully someone can advise on this issue

Thanks

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Graham.Mal...Good luck to both of you

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just been through this process, you definitely have to do an online application, when you fill in the online form you can return to it and complete bits later but you must log in no more than 7 days before you last logged in or it gets wiped, we both filled in certain details and used a shared email address.
    After completing the online form we had to wait a week for an appointment to submit documentation

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you have to apply online.

I was married in May, and due to a number of issues (dont change her name), my wife didnt go to put it in until mid June. She was informed that she had to apply online via the website, although someone did look through it and state that it was well prepared and we should go forward.

I did this for her as it has to be done in English, and as my wife had called me at 5am, i had a couple of spare hours. It was written as if she had written it, not me. I was told not to put Yes in that box but maybe its ok.

It didnt take long as I was just typing it from the application i had a copy of. However, it was then another 2 weeks till she had an interview to take in all the additional paperwork, and the money.

Now were another 8 weeks in, and we still dont have an interview date. If you are planning for December, you will need to be luckier than me.

Also, beware Buddha days, and be aware of the time taken for paperwork and translations. 1 day to go to the UK embassy. Wait till tomorrow for your clearance, get that translated and then go to the Laksi (Ministry of Affairs) to get that okayed (brilliantly placed on the other side of Bkk). Thats day 2, if your lucky. Then get married, and get that translated. Day 3, but do you want to doing translations on your wedding day. So thats 4 days, with no problems. Thats just your side. Your wife also needs clearance from her amphoe. Also, you cant get married in the registry office on the weekend.

If i was doing it again i wouldnt rush it as it makes no difference. I arrived on Thursday, and got married on the following Wednesday. The most stressful and unromantic week of my life, but glad to have got it done and looking back I learnt so much in that week.

Good luck, and if you need any more info feel free to ask.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jess & Seabass.

Seabass, sounds like you had a stressful time trying to get it all done quickly and having the weekend slowing down the process too. Luckily for me I arrive on a saturday and get married a week later on the sunday, so I should have mon-fri to get things sorted (however i do think there is a buddha day on the friday).
    I now think I am being a bit unrealistic with hoping to get the visa granted by end of december due to the current processing times.
    I think I will take your advice and not try to get everything done in the first few days as, like you said it was a very stressful and unromantic time.
    Im disapointed to hear you had a 2week wait between submitting the online application and going to hand in the supporting documents. I was hoping to still be in thailand at that time.

Thanks for your info, and hey I hope your wife gets the visa soon.. Good luck

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I'll be marrying in October. I am in the process of putting together a schedule of things to do and where to go thanks to the forum.
    I have started the on line SV application but have a few problems. I will of course have a folder with my info that I want to submit while I am over there. So will not want an appointment until that date.
    I am also writing it as if I am already married but only engaged.
    It was so much easier doing the VV application and just turning up to submit it.

Also, beware Buddha days, and be aware of the time taken for paperwork and translations. 1 day to go to the UK embassy. Wait till tomorrow for your clearance, get that translated and then go to the Laksi (Ministry of Affairs) to get that okayed (brilliantly placed on the other side of Bkk). Thats day 2, if your lucky. Then get married, and get that translated. Day 3, but do you want to doing translations on your wedding day. So thats 4 days, with no problems. Thats just your side. Your wife also needs clearance from her amphoe. Also, you cant get married in the registry office on the weekend.
    Bye
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find that you can make your Visa application online or in person.
    The wifes recently got VV was applied for in person.
    If you make it online you still have to take a paper version to the VFS.
    Wife did not make an appointment,Just turned up and handed it in.
    Buy cheap, pay twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by fish:
    I think you will find that you can make your Visa application online or in person.
    Hi Fish,

i've noticed that on the VFS website before too. So why do the majority of people say that you have to apply online first, and then make an appointment?

also, i'm sure i've heard of people that have applied online, then just turned up with paper app at VFS, not making an appointment. I suppose it just means that you will have to join the queue, with other applicants.

It would be annoying to wait until we were married, then apply online, only to find that we had to wait maybe 2 weeks for an appointment!

I guess we could apply online before we were married, but fill in the form as if we already were. Then make an appointment for a later date, when we will have all paperwork ect.

Any thoughts?

I'm pleased i will be over in Thailand for 3 months...

Member สมาชิก
    Rainham, Greenwich, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

We submitted a child settlement visa, we did all the online thing here in the UK, then our lass went over to LOS to do all the rest.
    She was saying that it is well worth doing all or as much as you can online as its very very busy at the office, no waiting around as you book your appointment online at the same time.
    Just a tip if it helps, I do know that there is a fair bit of a wait for visas at the mo, from submitting to getting the visa was 6 weeks, which I think was pretty fast, but I here it can be up to 3 to 6 months at present.
    Anyway good luck

Nick & Ay

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Mal:
    Originally posted by fish:
    Hi Fish,

i've noticed that on the VFS website before too. So why do the majority of people say that you have to apply online first, and then make an appointment?
    I have no idea, maybe they do not read the info properly.
    Buy cheap, pay twice.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I realise i may have been negative, but I was just trying to tell you now rather than let you find out in Bkk.

WIth Buddha days, there seemed to be different levels of them. Some are catch all, some are civil service only, and the British Embassy work to UK Bank Holidays I think. I still dont really understand, and Im not sure how you can find out.

All the best, and make sure you take some lightweight reading material and a cushion.

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the British Embassy work to UK Bank Holidays
    I think you will find they enjoy the Thai ones as well

colin 244
    I am not a number, I am a free man

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mal,

I had originally planned to complete the application online in the UK in order to get the appointment sorted to hand in the paperwork, however I would need to know exactly where and when the wedding took place as these questions are on the VAF4 application.

As of right now, I dont know when or where I will be legally married as there is a lot of work to do before that i.e affirmation, translation etc.

How are you getting around this issue ?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Graham & Chayanisa:
    Hi Mal,

I had originally planned to complete the application online in the UK in order to get the appointment sorted to hand in the paperwork, however I would need to know exactly where and when the wedding took place as these questions are on the VAF4 application.

As of right now, I dont know when or where I will be legally married as there is a lot of work to do before that i.e affirmation, translation etc.

How are you getting around this issue ?
    Hmmm i don't think there is a way around it! I've looked checking all the info required on VAF4, and as you say, there are some details that can't really be proved until after the wedding. My gf also wants to get her passport changed to her new name too...so that will take an extra few days. I know its not necessary, but that's the way we want to do it.

So for us, i think we will have to wait until after wedding, and got new passport details before filling in the online app. and if there are no appointments available, just turn up at VFS.

Luckily, we are not in too big a rush. If we get all the paperwork sorted within 2 weeks, i'll be happy with that.

Sorry i couldn't help any more... good luck.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

Alternatively, you can write on the online form that the date/place of marriage will be confirmed at the time the application is submitted. You can then enter the correct details on the paper form once you are married.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Merseymike, if im understanding you correctly, I can complete the online application as you said, select a suitable appointment (one in which I know will be after I am married), then attend Regent House to hand in the updated paper application and supporting docs.
    This would be great as it saves having to complete the online application when in thailand and then maybe waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment.

If I have misunderstood, please let me know..Cheers

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

That's correct.