Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Car Insurance for duration of LOS Holiday

Any advice from the ex-pats who may be in the know on this question or others that have done it would be more than appreciated.

Can I purchase some form of comprehensive insurance in LOS to drive the Thai family Pickup for about 3 weeks ? If so where and any idea of the type I would need and rough costs?

Thanks

Kev

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea for "one off policies" Kev but as LOS generally follows UK Insurance rules non existant so you would be better to be added to the existing policy as a short time driver (will maybe find out there is no policy though )

Good Luck

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

remember..............if you have an accident you will (by default) be to blame, regardless of the circumstances

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    remember..............if you have an accident you will (by default) be to blame, regardless of the circumstances
    That's not true m8 , Ive had two accidents here , and was not to blame on the first one , although the second was my fault.
    The police do not get involved at all , apart from marking the road and stopping the traffic so that you can move your vehicle out of the way.
    When the accident happens , you call your insurance and they come to the scene pretty quickly and sort everything out.
    No insurance wants to be liable , so your insurance guy will come to an agreement with the other drivers insurance and they sort it.
    The driver who is to blame's insurance will pay the costs.

The police do not get involved at all , apart from marking the road and stopping the traffic so that you can move your vehicle out of the way.
    When the accident happens , you call your insurance and they come to the scene pretty quickly and sort everything out.
    No insurance wants to be liable , so your insurance guy will come to an agreement with the other drivers insurance and they sort it.
    The driver who is to blame's insurance will pay the costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same here. I was at the tail end of a queue at traffic lights and a young Thai lad saw my stationary vehicle too late and skidded into the back of me. My wife was out of the passenger seat in a shot, taking photos of everything and a policeman who happened to be standing at the side of the road got the cars moved over to the side and after having checked licences, ID's/passport etc, cleared off. Both Insurance company reps were on the scene in minutes and after speaking to the other chap and an earful from my wife, they informed me that the Thai lad had accepted it was his fault and the damage would be paid for by his insurance company. All dealt with very smoothly and a top-notch job was done for the repair. No complaints and if anything, it was a lot simpler than the claims process as I remember it in the UK.

Having said that, I have heard of cases where a Thai involved in an RTA has no insurance and the other party (if insured and is a farang) has been clobbered with the reasoning being that 'if you were not in Thailand, the accident wouldn't have happened'. Inscrutable Thai logic - how can you argue with that?
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phetchy View Post

Having said that, I have heard of cases where a Thai involved in an RTA has no insurance and the other party (if insured and is a farang) has been clobbered with the reasoning being that 'if you were not in Thailand, the accident wouldn't have happened'. Inscrutable Thai logic - how can you argue with that?
    I have heard of these stories as well Phil , but I dont believe them.
    If you have Insurance , there is no way your insurance is going to pay for something that is not your fault.
    If the other party does'nt have insurance , then your insurance will only pay for the damage to your car , but they will go after the other driver for the excess and the the cost of repairs.

If however you dont have insurance , well that might be a different matter , and , depending on the policeman that gets there first , it'll be the one with the best negotiating skills that comes out on top ,LOL

I think that any foreigner that drives here without fully comprehensive insurance , is just looking for a whole lot of trouble.
    Colin & Ying

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks all.......... but where does one get it?

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by storm1fishing View Post
    That's not true m8
    maybe but it certainly feels like the farang is always liable

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why you feel like that Linne as the guy from the insurance takes care of everything , you don't need to speak to the other driver at all if you don't want to , and the police just checks your licence , so no real conversation there either.
    On the other hand if you never had insurance , it would be a completely different kettle of fish.

I'm curious as to your personal experience of having an accident in Thailand , that makes you feel that way.
    Colin & Ying

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster1953 View Post
    Thanks all.......... but where does one get it?

Kev
    I've had a car in Thailand for several years and our comprehensive insurance has always covered the car, not the person, so anybody who drives it is insured. I understand that also applies with the basic (third party) insurance everybody must have to be able to tax their car (it was actually part of the car tax payment until a year or two ago). I don't know if that applies to all comprehensive policies but it certainly does to the ones my wife's family have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sumrit, did you just go via a broker, agent, or insurance company direct?

I am not sure about the Families (newly acquired) Pickup.... not seen it yet, but when I asked about the insurance for it, I was told "Pickup 3 years old, don't worry, everything OK, not like drive everyday Bangkok, only small village".

Now we are talking very rural village here and poor family (don't ask how they managed to afford to buy and pay for the Pickup – it’s a long story), so, what "everything OK" means is anybodies guess, and if insurance is in any way avoidable (and tax for that matter) or can be paid later or at another time..... well I think I already know what the answer means!

Why don't they say..... "No Have".... Then we can move on.... anyway, back to my question..... can I get Comp Insurance for a few weeks whilst I am there?

Kev

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster1953 View Post
    did you just go via a broker, agent, or insurance company direct?

Why don't they say..... "No Have".... Then we can move on.... anyway, back to my question..... can I get Comp Insurance for a few weeks whilst I am there?

Kev
    Our first car was a new pickup and the dealer arranged 'one year free' insurance with (I think) Bangkok Insurance and we renewed with them for a couple of years before my wife found a cheaper quote, but I'm not sure how she got that (I'm in the UK at the moment and she in Thailand but I'll try and find out). I know those insurances were all on the car with anybody covered to drive them. I've personally never known of/spoken to anybody who's needed to get short term cover just for themselves on a particular car.

I know to get any vehicle taxed you must show a years basic (third party) insurance at the same time and that insurance again is on the car with anybody covered to drive. So, assuming your families pickup is taxed you will be covered at least by third party insurance.

Just one other thought, when my neighbours bought a new car a couple of months ago with a bank loan taking out comprehensive insurance was a condition of obtaining that finance. So if the family used finance to pay for maybe there was a similar condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what circles you mix in I'd suggest...if you read someone like Stickman then the whole of Thailand is against him, yet somehow he remains there. I'd imagine if your in bars with Expats constantly moaning about this and that, then yeah it would probably seem pretty bad but how many of them actually do have Insurance (or trusted in their Ex Girlfriend/Wife to buy the right policy) ?? Even in the UK if you don't have Insurance you can expect the long arm of the law to be on your case....

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ ian1208's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask your family if they have the 'big' insurance. They will know what it means. If they haven't, you should still be insured 3rd party as it is part of the license/road tax but check with them because I seem to remember something about foriegn drivers having to be declared.
    I insure my car for the 'big' insurance (full comp etc) for about 420 quid a year. Until last year I would simply take out fully comp for my duration. I week was circa 16 pounds gaining a little discount every week you add.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ian1208 View Post
    Until last year I would simply take out fully comp for my duration. I week was circa 16 pounds gaining a little discount every week you add.
    Thanks Ian,

That sounds just what I want…. So can I ask where did you get it (An Insurance Broker, Bank, Insurance Office?) and the Insurance Company (Lloyds, Cornhill, Direct Line, etc)?

Thanks
    Kev

Post Thanks / Like

Kev,

I think Ian means he gets added to the Thai annual policy when he's there for a trip which is basically what I said at the start of this thread. You certainly won't get temporary cover from here looking looking at the Insurer's you quote but some of the big UK Insurer's like Aviva and Allianz (yes German before someone says it) have local arrangements with a Thai Insurer where they will have a stake in if not owned outright (wifey's cousin has a Norwich Union tax disc holder in his pick up.

A good example was in the Insurance Press today with Aviva reportedly selling it's Korean and Sri Lankan businesses.

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Colin.... Misunderstanding in my typing.....

I understand that prior to last year Ian used to take out short term Insurance for the duration of his trip from a Thai based company (somewhere)... and now he has an annual policy.

When I quoted "What company... Direct Line etc" It was sort of tongue in cheek...I meant the Thai equivalent, i.e. the Thai Insurance company that he used, and where in Thailand he got it from (Broker, agent, Bank, etc).

Maybe it was a top up of the cars "basic insurance" or it could have been a totally separate policy, just for him alone.... I'm not sure from his post.

But, it is the “fully comp short term cover” that I am primarily looking for, preferably as a separate policy or failing that possibility, then I would look at a top up of the existing cars basic cover (if indeed the family have this in place to start with).

Sorry for any misunderstanding...

Kev

Post Thanks / Like

No worries mate I was just giving an honest UK Insurance persons view on your question and if as you say there is a basic Thai policy in place yes agree top it up to Comp when your there although no doubt the Thai Insurer (if the policy exists ) will try to sell you annual cover regardless.

colin 244

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ ian1208's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kev, before we had our own car the family (stupidly in my opinion) only had whats called Por Ror Bor insurance which is the basic. They did however always inform the company that 'the farlang' was going to drive. I don't think there was any hike in price. I was always a little afraid I would get caught out. The wife had 1st class policies even when her car was held together with chewing gum and tape. The insurers (axa or something) would add me without any hassle and just a paperwork fee of a few hundred baht.
    Now that we have our own car, we decided to insure with 1st class annually. I believe from memory (to drive the other family members heaps of khe) it cost me something in the region of £12 per week for a period of 3 months. It was arranged through the local broker. Just ask your family to ask the broker to upgrade the insurance while your there. Make sure the certificate that they issue clearly states its 1st class.
    This is the company who insures us now;
    http://www.viriyah.co.th/
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with viriyah as well Ian , excellent service , I should know , I've used them twice in the last year
    Colin & Ying