Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Default school trip and a problem

Hi All,

Well thats my first school trip done!! went to rayong for a seminar then onto an evening out then next day to Chachoengsao.
    If you had told me a year ago I would sit on a bus full of Thai's singing karaoke for 10 hours and not kill one of them, I would of called you crazy. I did not kill anyone and quite enjoyed it!! work that out cos i can't.
    Any way to cut a long storey short we ended our trip in cahchoengsao where I left the school trip and joined a firend for a few day's r&r before BKK and teachers license. Whilst waiting for my mate to come from visa run I went to big c and seen a KFC so thought sod the diet Im having one. Sitting accross from me was a large Thai chap early 20's 6ft tall and hefty built, his gf / wife was a bit younger (ages are guesssed) and for some reason he stared at me continuosly, after a while i got fed up so stared back at which point he averted his gaze, great I thought. To my disbelief he started again, this time urging his GF / wife to do the same, then both laughing. This I ignored until the 3rd time, then I rose & walked over to thier table, lent on the table opposite and stared right at them from about 18 inches away from his ugly mug. Then I laughed loud and hard and pointed at them both as they had done to me. I have nevr heard a place go so quiet so quickly and seen 2 rather brown people turn so very white. I then asked in Thai and english" you find something funny about a farang" At this point I was expecting to have to hit him rather hard but to my amazment and relief they left thier food and ran. I went back to my table finished my food and waited to see if security or the police came, but no all was well. I wonder if they learn't any manners or will they just tell everyone they meet they saw a ting tong (baa) farrang today.

I had a great time meeting my friend and we went out and on the whole chachoengsoa is ok but I have never met so many rude; ugly; sour faced; sexy looking ladies in my life. Nearly every bar we went in the girls were sour faced. Many in the shops were the same and people starred long and hard and not with a smile but with distain.
    There however were a few exceptions which saved the day for me AND A FEW (MINORITY) really nice people the sort i am used to meeting in Thailand.
    I went onto BKK to get my teachers license but cannot get it until my final cert here which will be end of the month, no biggy just inconvenient as they said "yes no problem come down, bring proof letter from uni and thgat will do" NO tit.
    On the upside met a lovely sexy suay lady selling tee shirts . took her out for a meal and swapped numbers, and she is from KK and comes back every 4 weeks and wants to move back. maybe lucky me ;-) my original suay lady is still about and wants me to see her, maybe i should who knows???
    Anyway really tired so i flew back today and sod the expense, now off to the laundry and do some work for school tomorrow,
    PS spent 1500 baht on books and posters in a great side stall near big c for my students, and 10 thai to english dictionaries to give as prizes. No wonder I got no money :-)
    ash xx

Ban Na Jomtian, Chon Buri, Thailand, Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh the staring ash !!! Yes it can be a bit unsettling to start with ... But its just normal ... I still get it a lot here ... But I put it down to being the only farang around here. That and being touched ... Another thing you might get ... You will always get the odd encounter ash ... Just ignore is my advice to you ... Its not the Thai way to start a confrontation.

I know Jimmbo and Harvey get they're fair share of stares on the beach

Attachment 4742

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Heehehehe.
    Fuel tank for sex machine

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ ian1208's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ash, I can see some 'writing on the wall' in your post. You will find both 'grief' and 'elation' in some quite unexpected locations and situations you find yourself in.
    Rightly or wrongly, you confronted Thais for staring at you. Get used to it outside the big cities. The mere fact the Thai never took the matter further shows his restraint, not fear. More than you could do.

ian1208
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a funny experience with the wife when we were in Big C in Nakhon Rathasima. Lots of little kids were stopping dead in their tracks when they saw me, it was hilarious. One even shouted "farang" to get the attention of others lol.

I think you can tell when someone is looking at you just out of curiousity, and when they're giving you the evil eye. The KFC incident sounds a bit misjudged and could have gone down hill pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Furious

Quote Originally Posted by shrek48 View Post

and 10 thai to english dictionaries to give as prizes. No wonder I got no money :-)
    Maybe you should look around for a book on grammar as well.

Call yourself an English teacher?
    aka Spud / aka MF

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Shrek by name, schrek by nature? Jai yen yen Ash.
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Harvey at home's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think the bloke on the left in the photo is definitely a candidate for Dan's disease or is having twins, on the other hand it could be a beer belly, sort of reminds me of wolfy!

Oh and thanks Trev, owe you one!

Ban Na Jomtian, Chon Buri, Thailand, Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey at home View Post
    T

Oh and thanks Trev, owe you one!
    Sorry Harvey ... I was going to say Phil !!! But the guy had hair

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Harvey at home's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trevor NG.jpg

Sorry trev didn't want to do it but thought Oh well why not, Taken with my sniping tool when on Skype recently

- - - Updated - - -

It wasnt me, I blame the drink Sor!

"Sorry Harvey ... I was going to say Phil !!! But the guy had hair "

Thats like saying He has a tattoo or two

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Heheheheheehehe

Post Thanks / Like

Was running through a Kampong on a hash in Java and the kids stopped in their tracks turned around and ran, shouting "the Dutch are coming, the Dutch are coming", check your Indonesian history the Dutch weren't the nicest of people when they colonized the Dutch East Indies...

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Had this staring thing as well as people wanting to touch you a while back but it was in the village where I was the first farang to ever go there according to wifey

colin 244

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์
    Post Thanks / Like

Shrek - So what if someone stares at you?

You were lucky you didn't get a good hiding!

Nick

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

experienced it in g/f's village , Lao/Cam border area when a woman almost fell of her motorbike when she saw me , from the shocked expression on her face you would have thought i was stood there naked , but Pan did tell me i was the first farang there.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem, went to the local shop in the village, as i went to pay and put my hand out the lady at the counter backed off and walked into the rear counter.

Mick

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine the stares i got doing my morning alms walk around the village !!!
    Got to say, i agree with prioritypress, you may have been lucky this time shrek but you may be safer just turning a blind. Not saying they were right to stare and laugh, just saying next time may not be such a successful ending !!!

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ash
    why not wave, say, hi and smile, they may still run but its non confrontational and shows the kind, gentle side of you that has been seen by the kids you teach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree, you just have to watch "RealTV" every week to see how many nutcase's and loose cannon's there are about. Especially if they've had their Lao Khao for breakfast. I was explaining what happened in your post to my wife and she says "tell him don't show power, very dangerous". Personally I would always avoid confrontation anyway here at home, but more so in LOS. The "Thai smile" hides a lot

Steve

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Never mind Ya Ba etc Steve

colin 244