Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New B1 English Test for UK Settlement - discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andy22 View Post
    Below in red are some of the indicators for B1 level (threshhold to intermediate. Entry from October 2013 will only be based on speaking and listening. I have my own English school in Thailand and teach at a Government school. I have a good understanding of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in my honest opinion I know very few Thai people who are anywhere near this level. I would estimate at least one year intense study to get from beginner to B1 level.. Just my opiniun guys.

Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
    Can we keep all general discussion about the new B1 speaking and listening test in this topic please rather than in the Family migration changes from 9 July 2012 topic.

Many thanks for everyone's cooperation.
    Last edited by Tobias; 15th Jun 2012 at 16:18.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this going to be a new separate test? Or will my fiancées IELTS results be enough evidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this going to be a new separate test? Or will my fiancées IELTS results be enough evidence?
    Of course this requirement does not come in until October 2013, and I do not think it is yet clear. For example, will some nationalities be exempt? US Citizens? Australians? etc etc? And what certificates will count? For example if someone has passed the Cambridge FCE exam, which is at the right level but includes not just speaking and listening but also reading and writing, it would seem bizarre if they need to take a further speaking and listening test.

When Nat first came to the UK back in 2001 she studied for and passed the FCE. She found her studies, at the Brasshouse Lanaguage Centre in Birmingham, fascinating given that whilst she had learned a lot of English in Thailand, she had never before heard sayings such as "raining cats and dogs" or "playing gooseberry", and lots of other things like that.
    John

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

With regards to the new B1 requirement - does that mean ALL applications after october 2013, or only those those that apply after july 2012.

My wifes visa granted in april this year - so in two years time when applying for ilr what english level will she have to be at?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently they will publish the full details of the english changes "early next year."

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

so my wife was meant to start college in september to do an esol - what would you think is the best thing to do? carry on and do that course?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by changnoi View Post
    so my wife was meant to start college in september to do an esol - what would you think is the best thing to do? carry on and do that course?
    Of course, the whole point of ESOL is to learn English!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by changnoi View Post
    With regards to the new B1 requirement - does that mean ALL applications after october 2013, or only those those that apply after july 2012.

My wifes visa granted in april this year - so in two years time when applying for ilr what english level will she have to be at?
    From October 2013 all applicants must pass the Life in the UK Test and the B1 English speaking and listening test.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

Changoi

the way i understand it, it applies to ALL applications of ALL kinds after October 2013.

If your wife applies for ILR in 2 years time (April 2014) she will be subject to the new B1 test, which comes into play in October 2013.

She will have to pass the LITUK test, and an english speaking and listening test at level B1.

Post Thanks / Like

changnoi, the answer to your question is :-

The immigration rules in force before 9 July 2012 will still apply to you from 9 July 2012 until settlement, if you qualify for it. This includes the existing maintenance requirement and a two year probationary period to settlement. From October 2013 you will need to pass the Life in the UK test and a B1 level English speaking and listening qualification to qualify for settlement.
    As regards the course she intends to start in September, is that pure ESOL, or does it include a Citizenship content?

Also, roughly what is her English language ability at the moment? She will need to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship test, and the alternative of an ESOL/Citizenship course will not permit her to apply for ILR.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As your wife's current visa will expire after Oct '13, like mine, she will have to apply for ILR under the new B1 English + LITUK requirement. From what I've read the ESOL with citizenship will be made obsolete for applications so if the whole point of doing the college course was to qualify for ILR it may be worth waiting until the new English requirement is announced. That's what I've been lead to believe from posts on the new rules thread anyway?

Steve

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

tobias i meant with regard to ilr. it was the esol with citizenship. so these courses are now no use for ilr - or am i mistaken? she is currently at a2 level. just wondering if a different course would be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

just wondering if a different course would be better
    As Millsey's post #5, the new English test requirement won't be announced until early next year

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mr Meister, the requirements have been announced already. From October 2013 ALL applicants for ILE must pass the Life in the UK Test and an English speaking and listening test at level B1.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So what do the "announced early next year" requirements relate too?

Post Thanks / Like

Tobias, I think Steve was referring to the content of the new B1 test, which is yet to be announced.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve. I'll have a look in the statement of intent again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What will be announced later is the identity of those institutions and service providers (and which of their qualifications) will be recognised for immigration purposes. Level B1 is a well established grade with the examination content decided by those institutions that offer such qualifications.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, what I meant was, there's not much point paying money and starting an ESOL course now if next year that course is not announced as an acceptable qualification to meet the Oct '13 requirements. Maybe better to wait until after that announcement before starting on a course, if the only reason for doing such a course is to meet the requirements of future visa applications?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I disagree, the whole point of ESOL is for the student to learn to speak and understand English!

The sooner that happens the better I would have thought. The more practice a student has in English the better it will be for them when approaching the B1 English test??

No reason not to attend an English course now. Practice makes perfect ...
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, Steve

From October 2013, all applicants for settlement will be required to demonstrate a knowledge of language and life in the UK by passing the Life in the UK test and by presenting a speaking and listening qualification at intermediate level (Common European Framework of Reference level B1) or above. This language requirement, together with a knowledge of the values that underlie British society, will help ensure that those who settle here are able to participate in British life and are better able to gain employment.

The speaking and listening qualification must be secure, robust and generally available in the UK. We will consider these criteria over the coming months and will publish details of acceptable speaking and listening qualifications early next year. An applicant who presented, and had accepted, an English language qualification at B1 level or above in connection with a previous application to the UK Border Agency should be able to continue to rely on the qualification as evidence of B1 level speaking and listening skills, provided that no doubts have arisen about its genuineness.

- - - Updated - - -

Using an ESOL course as a means of practicing english to help achieve B1 is a good idea in principal, but unfortunatey there will probably be some people who wont be in a position, financially, to pay for both the ESOL course and whatever studying/course is needed to meet the new B1 requirement.

I can understand why some might change their plans and opt out of ESOL, now that it wont be recognized for ILR applications.