Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Yes he is farang and a drunk.
    I hope to buy this nissan if it is as described and can deal a little on the price. Usual stuff he called me and said he has had many e mails and calls, But as I said well its not sold and been advertised many times!! thats nissan in Thailand for you, everyone wants Isuzu or toyota.
    Cant remember the name of the breed of pigs sorry but I will ask again soon, hope to buy them at the weekend if the house is ready. I do know the people who own these pigs and my gf is like a daughter to her, the lady breeds and sells her own pigs and was not going to sell any breeders, but said she would find some for us through her contacts.
    She was unhappy with what was out there so said we could have 2 of hers at a reduced rate so long as we promised to help her if she needed it.
    When I asked what form this help would take, it was merely selling her some breeding stock or youngster back if she becomes short in the near future, as she is selling us 2 breeders. This seems fair to me,(again not that I know anything) I have checked around and with the AG office and good breeding stock is fetching around 15 to 20,000 right know, I can have her 2 that are already pregnant for 24,000. If I also buy a few 1 or 2 month old piglets in 4-5 months they should be an ideal weight(100kg+) to sell on giving me a return profit of around 1500 baht per pig after costs.
    Will let you know how we get on as soo as I can. Thanks for all the listening and responses it really does help to be able to sound off on here.

Ash.x
    Last edited by GTG; 7th Aug 2012 at 04:44. Reason: Some content removed for moderation.

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an expat mate in Korat shrek who is also a pig breeder and has been doing it for some time who says not making a huge profit but its ticking over.

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Smallholder pig farming is very hit and miss , and there are many variables that will determine if you make money or not.
    There is a big difference between having one or two pigs that you raise for your own use , or for a few extra baht , and to actually trying to make a living out of pigs.
    You also need to look at how many other people in the village are doing it ( if you want to sell to the locals ).

To make money as a smallholder , you need to be very hands on from the start , and that starts with choosing your breeding boar , and then you need to know what you are doing when choosing your gilts as well.
    most thai village breeders just have the local thai pig breeds , but they are not very good for commercial farming as 1.They dont have a good conversion rate(turning food to meat) and 2.have too high a fat ratio (the villagers like this but meat sellers like big c , tesco ect dont.).
    Pig husbandry is very important and knowledge of it , and it's not simply a case of throwing a few scraps to them every now and then , there needs to be a proper feeding regime with the food having the correct percentage of protein , carbohydrates , calcium ,salts ect from when they are weaners until growers and to just before they are ready for market .

But I'm sure that shrek has done all his homework and knows this all already.
    Colin & Ying

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus they stink of course. Mai's dad gets regular moans and groans from the near neighbours. He has two pigs, Reg and Arthur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Reg and Arthur
    Good old fashioned traditional Thai names then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    Plus they stink of course.
    Then they are not being kept well.
    I used to work on a pig farm and you never smelt anything unpleasant unless you went near the silage pit.
    The pigs are quite clean animals and don't smell if they are looked after correctly.
    Champions 20|13

Post Thanks / Like

Funniest thing my expat pig farming mate ever told me was about a boar he bought that was gay

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    Funniest thing my expat pig farming mate ever told me was about a boar he bought that was gay

colin 244
    LOL, my first time to hear of this! How can one tell if a boar is gay (or is that self-explanatory to many)?
    -------------------------------
    That that is is
    . ~ Shakespeare, 'Twelfth Night'

Post Thanks / Like

Yes self explanatory Vam and my mate only found out once he had had bought the beast

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shrek48 View Post
    I have found a truck I like in Jomtien and will go see it next week if my money arrives from the uk.
    If you live and work in Kosum. Why do you have to travel East to buy a truck.
    There must be lots of second hand trucks, what's up for sale in and around the Kosum area of Khon Kaen.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Still no net at home ;-(, the family where i AM GETTING THE PIGS their place does not smell so if kept well they should not smell at all. I am doing this only in a small way o earn a few extra baht an would not have a clue how to do it commercially.
    This is purely a project to help the family, mainly the brother earn a few baht doing something he enjoys and knows about. Same as my chickens with grandad although egg sales already pay for the feed and up keep and I only sell at the English dept in school right now.
    The eaters will be ready soon so my gf will start to sell them off and eggs;bamboo; and pig eventually all making us a few extra baht. The gf already sells gecko's for people(like a broker) and earns commission. All the little extra's make life easier.
    As for trucks, in Isaan many people want used so supply is poor and price is high, so I need to look further afield.
    I have been offered a good deal from a dealer friend of the gf on a new Toyota and when I get the spec later I will decide what to do.
    I am only trying to make a good life here really one where I can earn a crust when I retire allowing me to continue to live at a fair standard.
    The truck I wanted in Jomtien sold the night before my money was in the bank :-( so it is looking more and more like a new one will be bought.
    School is still great and I am having a ball most of the time. I am looking to buy 10 more egg layers now which will give me a laying stock of 30 with another 25 coming on from my chicks in the next 4 weeks or so, will see how egg sales go and if demand continues at this rate I will increase stock to meet demand, but only to a level the houses and land will allow, I have no intention of expanding the land usage for the chickens.
    Next wear looking at selling the potatoes in 2-3 months and using the land for sugar or maybe expanding the pig houses and use that fields for them to roam around in and do what pigs do best.
    Although I have done some research all advice and suggestions are greatfully received and noted as I am new to pigs and know nothing really except what I have read, and reading is nothing compared to experience.
    ok have to go teach last lesson now, thanks for the replies.
    Ash.x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your girlfriend is Gecko broker eh Ash? I would never have thought there was much of a shortage in LoS - unless it's those big tokay varmints. If she's exporting them to Malaysia for 250,000 Baht a time, I'd forget the pigs and the teaching and nip down to your local Hummer dealer!

http://themalaysianlife.blogspot.com...-for-sale.html
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Post Thanks / Like

From your link Phil.

Above 1000 grams approximately RM1 million.

, how big do they get?
    Colin & Ying

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

About 50cm/400gms with a lifespan of up to 10 years is about the max I believe Colin. There's a biggish one living behind the fridge in the bar at our village. I might have a go at catching it - or maybe not, they have a hellish bite apparently.

Made me laugh, some of the people selling geckos in the posts at the bottom of the article -

i have 3pcs tokay to sell...
    pls contack me as fast as posible.
    i scare the tokay will die.
    i wish to link up with serious buyers
    who can buy the tokay gecko from me,
    let me know the detail e.g the weight
    and the price tab also other detail like
    the shipping arrangement.
    should the tokay gecko be alive or dead?
    This bloke must have found the Godzilla of all Geckos by the sound of it. 900Gms - 20 Million Baht ?!

I have several Gecko in my hand ready
    to sale in the Thailand since weight grow up
    420 g. and 500 g. 800 g. 900 g just now to
    offer for sale every size that all
    only 20,000,000.00 million bath
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm amazed by this gecko stuff and never knew about it but as the article says all to do with medicinal myths similar to Rhino horn etc and look at the Rhino population so its soon goodbye tokay gecko's

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

I never knew about gecko's either but they are big business, as for a broker yes thats what I would call her but only in a very small way. She puts people who wish to buy in touch with some her friends who wish to sell, this week she had 2500 baht commission from 1 sale, I wish she could sell more!!!
    Pigs, sadly I had a few growing concerns with her brothers commitment to the pigs, He built the house then seemed to lose interest and I am not in the market for having animals that are not cared for and kept to a high standard, they may be food and profit but whilst alive my animals must have a quality of life and be killed humanely. This I insist on, so after a wekk and a half of waiting for brother to go see the pigs we finally went on Monday afternoon, we went to the first farm and I was not that happy with the owner of the pigs and something screamed at me NO don't buy this one. After discussing this with my gf and brother we went to the 2nd farm, me and the gf on my scooter and brother on his.
    We arrived at the farm and brother was not behind us! me and the gf continued to see the pigs and chat to the owner, still no sign of brother after half an hour?? so we vcalled him to find out he had gone home for food and not bothered to tell me or the gf!!! this was to say the least rude and annoying as wasted my time completely. The farmer who had the pigs was very understanding and we chatted for a while longer, I asked to buy some of his warren hens trhat were 4 months old but he did not weant to sell any.
    For some reason we continued to chat and he suddenly said he would sell me 10 hens and 1 cock as I had originally requested, my gf said it was because he liked me and my ideals of keeping stock.
    His farm was amazing, clean, all pigs were ear marked in clean pens in fantastic condition, all innoculations were posted on the walls with all certs, all his pigs were pre sold but he had a few that would be ready soon and saidf we could have some.
    After brothers latest antics me and the gf chatted while at the pig farm and decided pigs were out as we could not look after them and brother was not reliable.
    So we left that farm with the chickens and a had made a new friend/contact for chickens, even though he does nort sell he was happy to give me any help and advice and his contacts for buying chickens. He even lent me his fantastic travel cage and said he would collect from the house in a day or two!!!
    I wish now to look at some other breeds to extend my stock and maybe inter breed who know's??
    I have bought a new chevvy pick up in oceanic blue and love it so much, its so usefull to me.
    The gf is doing ok, we have a few issues from her last relationship where she does a few things that I dont like because she had to get money and food anyway she could, I dont mean anything sexually i mean work wise, so she still does the odd sneaky sale or job and does not tell the whole truth about the money etc, but she is slowly getting to trust me and see's I keep my word everyday, so I am hopeful she will be 100 percent soon.
    Grandad is great and still works hard evryday and he has 2 cows and one has just had a baby so he is happy.\
    thats enough rabbit from me today i have to go and teach 4th period now.
    Ash.x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    Well I'm amazed by this gecko stuff and never knew about it but as the article says all to do with medicinal myths similar to Rhino horn etc and look at the Rhino population so its soon goodbye tokay gecko's colin 244
    So, to feed the Chinese "medical" industry with its dubious benefits, yet another species is being hunted to possible extinction in years to come just as rhinos & tigers are being exterminated today. Tokays aren't quite so high-profile though, are they? Compared to UK, there's precious little in the way of wildlife in my area of Thailand and these types of activities reduce it further. Thailand will be all the poorer for it in the future.

Do I remember Shrek saying in one of his posts that he abhorred cruelty to animals? Perhaps he should remember this when looking at the next instalment of commission for the geckos.

Anybody know about North America's passenger pigeons? There were hundreds of millions - even billions - of them & they were hunted for fun because it was impossible to kill them all, there were so many. Result - extinction in a very short time.

What other creatures will the Chinese decide have medicinal value, when the current favourites are no longer available?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sadly I had a few growing concerns with her brothers commitment to the pigs, He built the house then seemed to lose interest
    Something you may have to get used to, pigs / buffalo / tractor etc etc all great ideas at first until the "no-one want to take care no more tirak"

- - - Updated - - -

and be killed humanely.
    Am sure they will stun them with a blow to the head, usually some sort of mallett or tree trunk, before ramming a knife into their heart

Premium Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Or swing them round by their hind legs smacking their heads against a concrete post. (Not seen that happen with pigs but i have with chickens, not pleasant).

I had to laugh at the last bit of Shreks post, with his mind being full of animals he mentions Rabbits in the last sentence.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shrek mate, you'll have to get used to people who don't want to do things not actually saying "I don't want to do that"

Also, and this is obviously just my own personal opinion, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff regarding your g/f's 100% disclosure of every detail of her day to day life.

If you make too much of a big deal about something you don't like, it can make it more of an issue than it perhaps ought to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you've found a good contact there with the new chicken man.