Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 39 of 60 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Someone last week stated "I hit a Thai again" so I am not about to name, names on here and cannot be bothered to read all the posts again just to answer this question again.

So I am to walk away, cower down; be insulted, NA aint never gonna happen.
    If your rude to me you will get the same back, if you hit me you will get the same back.
    farrang or Thai or any one I will not tolerate it. I have not come here to be treated like a dog.
    It's ok for a thai to cause me to lose face??????

Good job you lot were not about when Hitler invaded we would all be blue eyed and 6ft by now.

Clothes to fit me!! what an assumption, my shorts are XL and they had plenty and I had bought the there when I was here in November and wanted some more as I was here again......

So lets get this right!!!
    It is ok for this girl to be on the phone to her bf not serving me?
    It is ok for her to be rude to me ?
    It is ok for her to lose money for her boss?
    It is ok for her to make me lose face?
    It is ok for her to call me names because I asked politely for some help(her job)?

My lady friend is just that? am I not allowed a lady friend , sorry didn't realise there was a time limit to having friends after a break up ????
    She (my friend) was not angry with me or cringing inside, she was very angry and upset at my treatment in her town.
    She was the one her spoke in Thai for me and told the boss and the sales lady what I and my friend thought of her.
    On the way home to the hotel I was ok all forgotten, she was furious and appologised many times for taking me to "that stupid shop".
    I knew all the bleeding hearts here would react this way, it's people like you who give child rapists a second chance.
    If her bf wants to shoot me, bring it on. I would rather die than allow people to urinate down my back and try and tell me it's raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Short fuse? where ?? waiting to be served for 10 mins while someone is on the fhone, and being insulted is a short fuse??
    Are you sure? definately a short fuse? 10 mins waiting, mai mee, insulted ?? and I have a short fuse.
    How long before you consider it not to be a short fuse.
    Or do we let the rude people and bullies rule the meek??
    Was it not the bible which said the meek will rule the world? How ?
    They would have to rise get some guts and put right the things the rude; nasty people do before they could rule the world.
    You scare me, you really do, I hope there is not a world war 3 or we are doomed.
    suppose you agree with taking our soldiers to court for murder when they shoot taliban?
    You can close this post my fuse is know short with it and I am bored of lilly livered middle of the rd people who have no guts, would rather put up with rudeness than tackle it and make the world a better place.
    Ash.
    PS I have posted other stuff about my trip but on the TRIP report section where it needs to be!!!!!!!

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

That seemed to be quite an angry post from someone who doesn't have a short fuse.

Good luck with your quest to make the world a better place, although, the analogy with Hitler doesn't really compare with a rude shop assistant. Still, small steps, as they say.
    ไม่ลองไม่รู้

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Thaddeus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shrek48 View Post
    I knew all the bleeding hearts here would react this way, it's people like you who give child rapists a second chance.
    Wow, and I'm called rude and insensitive.

Shrek, here is a little bit of advice for you, it may have been given earlier in the thread, even if it has, it's worth doing again.

There are around 66 million Thai people in Thailand, the vast majority of which suffer from a condition called Thainess, they are not going to change just for you, you do not need to become assimilated to live here, but it is you that needs to adapt to them. Otherwise, it is going to be a very long and painful journey for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Godwin was right.
    Sit a spell, take your shoes off.

Blog Entries

So lets get this right!!!
    It is ok for this girl to be on the phone to her bf not serving me?
    It is ok for her to be rude to me ?
    It is ok for her to lose money for her boss?
    It is ok for her to make me lose face?
    It is ok for her to call me names because I asked politely for some help(her job)?
    If by 'OK' you mean acceptable by UK customer service standards - no it isn't. However, Thai's do not abide by the same rules that farangs are used to. You have to accept that Ash, like it or not. If it's any consolation, I have come pretty close to losing it on a couple of occasions (mostly down to stupid Thai driving habits) and felt that my wife was overreacting by telling me that it's extremely unwise to get into a conflict over such things. It's difficult to bite the bullet sometimes, but far better than receiving it.

She was the one her spoke in Thai for me and told the boss and the sales lady what I and my friend thought of her.
    On the way home to the hotel I was ok all forgotten, she was furious and appologised many times for taking me to "that stupid shop".
    You must have one of a rare breed there Ash. I can't remember an occasion where my wife has waded in on my behalf. The advice I get is usually to 'turn the other cheek'. If it's her that's been badly treated in a shop, restaurant or whatever, then that's a different matter and she'll not hold back. I guess that's why the "Thainess" thread highlights the fact that we will never been seen by Thais in the same light as they see themselves.

If her bf wants to shoot me, bring it on.
    "Who wants it?" springs to mind - and look what happened there.

A 'dislike' for that remark.

Premium Member

Just caught up with this Shrek versus Thailand thread. I firmly believe that if I behaved in such a way with Mai and her family I would very soon be kicked into touch. As others have said you will never change the Thai way of doing things. There have been many occasions when I have not agreed with some of the things Mai 's brother has done for instance but I''ve been told to stay out of it or have decided myself to keep schtum , sit back and wait for Mai to hit him with both barrels. He normally disappears with his tail between his legs for a couple of days before the lure of my recently purchased bottle of c-sip sees him humbly reappear again. The village alco's seem to be able to smell Lao khao from a fair distance away.

I suggest you try a bottle Shrek with a couple of chill out pills. Your one man crusade is doomed to ending in disaster in my opinion.

You scare me, you really do, I hope there is not a world war 3
    Sounds like you're getting close :-S

Good job you lot were not about when Hitler invaded
    I'm going to read your story again to spot the character that acted most like I imagine Hitler would have been, initially I thought your comparissons were through a rage that you must have been suffering due to the horrendous experience.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Harvey at home's Avatar

Actually Shrek you are becoming a little too insulting with your remarks and I suggest that you respectfully back off a little!
    How do you know whether there are posters on the forum who have served or lost loved ones in a conflict that they could not walk away from?

It may well be that the very people on this forum that you insult with your little rant/tantrum, or some of them may well have to come to the aid of yourself if you continue to tempt faith in the reckless manner that you are doing!

It would be ironic or possibly poetic justice if some of the people on this forum who may well be within participating distance of one of your regular skats or should I say attempts to start a mini war did exactly as you said and left you to your own devices.

I will not try to give you advice about who you should "straighten up" shrek becaue you just do not listen!

But I will say Tit for tat is not the answer unless you are an American red neck on the prod and at you age and disposition in Thailand Ash I would suggest that you are not in any fit condition to get nasty with anybody.

Whether you are right, wrong aggrieved insulted, shown up, made a fool of, it just does not matter a jot because you will lose out big style and unless you have "loadsamunny" to get yourself out of the pickle you may well also get framed as the instigator of any trouble you get involved in.

Thais do not pull any punches when their backs are to the wall and funnily enough, like at the scene of a traffic accident, it is all your fault Farang, because if you had not come to this country it wouldn't have happened would it

HI All,

A lady who was a sales assistant was busy talking to her bf on the phone, I perused the fore mentioned items and waited for her help.
    After about 5 minutes of waiting I asked her for assistance and got the stock reply"mai mee", so again I perused the shorts section and found what i wanted on my own.

All this time my lady is looking at costumes for swimming. I again showed the assistant what I wanted and again got "mai mee". Then my lady comes over to help me.
    All this while still talking on the phone!! I dared again to ask for her help to which I got " mai mee" then to add insult to injury she said to her bf not thinking I knew any thai " stupid uan farrang"
    Maybe this shop assistant don't like seeing farangs with a Thai lady.

I only lost it once. In my case it was a young lady who ran into my wife's motorcycle on which I was a passenger.
    We were stopped at traffic lights and she came from behind and failed to stop and hit me on my leg. No stitches needed but it was a nasty cut. When I looked at her she was on her mobile phone. No sorry nothing.
    I gave her a piece of my mind. Later my wife said why you yap yap better you no do that.
    After reading on various forums about Farang confrontations with Thais. I have to agree she was right to warn me.
    Mr Shrek It sounds like you are not learning the Thai way. You are in Thailand and you will have to adapt.
    If you don't it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ canuck1941's Avatar

Let us be grateful that at least now there is punctuation, capitalization, and paragraphs.

I am no expert on thainess but even I know from what I have read that causing a scene as a foreigner in thailand is not good for your health.

It takes a long time to change attitudes assuming they want to change.

Nobody is trying to be little you or tell you what you should or should not do. They want the best for you.

If your episode was about your shopping experience in the UK everyone would have said well done I don't blame you. But you are know living under different rules of engagement.

PS I served in the RAF and saw body bags being carried off VC10's when I worked on aircraft at Brize Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey at home View Post
    like at the scene of a traffic accident, it is all your fault Farang, because if you had not come to this country it wouldn't have happened would it
    I agree with most of your post Harv , apart from this quote , which is not accurate.
    Colin & Ying

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by louialive View Post

If your episode was about your shopping experience in the UK everyone would have said well done I don't blame you. But you are know living under different rules of engagement.
    A good point. Imagine being in a queue at the bank and a Norwegian (very poor queuers apparently) came in and pushed in at the front? How would you feel? All hell would break loose and the invader would be left in no doubt as to his bad manners. To him this might be a reaction he'd never encountered before and see it as totally crazy.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Someone last week stated "I hit a Thai again" so I am not about to name, names on here and cannot be bothered to read all the posts again just to answer this question again.
    In a previous post you said this:

1 - I have never hit a thai person, how many times must I correct this? you talk about my grammar etc what about your reading?
    I clearly admit to hitting as drunken farrang!!!!! NOT A THAI. Learn to read.
    I honestly could not remember anyone here misreading your posts and thinking that this is what you had done. That is why I asked you to clarify. You wrote as if this was a recurring problem

Clothes to fit me!! what an assumption, my shorts are XL and they had plenty and I had bought the there when I was here in November and wanted some more as I was here again......
    What an assumption, Shrek, I am only basing my comments on what you have written here. You have frequently referred to your size here and how you want to lose large amounts of weight, I am only assuming you were telling the truth! Your 'target weight' is about 25 kg more than I am now, and I am considerably taller than you, and overweight. I buy boxers in XXL size and that is in UK sizes which I think you will find are considerably bigger than the Thai equivalent. Maybe the increasing levels of obesity in Thais due to the infiltration of western fast foods has lead to stores selling a much wider range of clothing sizes but I know that in my time in Thailand I would never have bothered looking for underwear there. Maybe you still have a small arse and all your weight is in your belly?

PS I have posted other stuff about my trip but on the TRIP report section where it needs to be!!!!!!![/I]
    You last posted there nearly a week ago, before you went to Bangkok. I politely asked about your trip to Bangkok, I'm always interested in people's reactions to the place, especially relative newcomers. All we got was your rant about the shopkeeper and a mention of the skytrain. You knew the reaction your post would get here, I'm really not sure why you bothered other than to wind people up.

I can't be bothered to respond to all your insults and abuse, they say a lot about your temperament though. In what way do you think your behaviour in the store has 'made the world a better place'? Maybe that's how 'the meek will inherit the earth' - when all the angry people get themselves killed or give themselves coronaries?

A final thought. Why did you not just ask your friend to speak to the shop assistant about what you wanted? You didn't answer any of my questions about how much of what you said was in Thai which would suggest not much.

Given that, I would be cautious about believing that what your friend SAID she said to 'the big boss' (if it WAS them, of course). Also, that anything she said afterwards was what she really felt. One thing that you must have learned by now is that the Thai version of 'the truth' is often simply what they think you want to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prioritypress View Post
    Welcome back, Nick. Some useful holiday reading there!
    Gordie T Geordie

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

There seems to be quite a lot of advice here about the disadvantages of losing your temper, or being overly 'direct' when confronted with difficult situations in Thailand.

Most of it seems to be based on the concept that, if you do, violence will ensue.

This can be the case, but it is not the main reason why people should try to remain calm and polite in these circumstances.

Thai society places a high value on a person's ability to maintain 'jai yen' or 'cool heart'.

You will be respected if you are able to respond to upsetting and frustrating events with moderate and restrained behaviour. People who are unable to control their emotions are, often, regarded as being childish, ill-mannered, or possibly even mentally ill.

Now, this doesn't mean that you should allow people to walk all over you, but confronting rudeness with anger will not result in a 'victory'.

When in the west, we know what cultural 'rules' we're playing under. We know that we can become insistent, display signs of anger through our body language and voice. This usually results in some kind of confrontation, but we regard confrontation as having benefits, it leads to resolution.

In other countries, Thailand included, it doesn't. It makes you look like a small child who can't control themselves.

Who loses face when this happens? You do.

I think that this is, perhaps, the single most difficult cultural difference for people to come to terms with. We have a tendency to regard it as weakness when someone appears not to stand up for themselves. Conversely, Thai people often see the raised voice and finger pointing in exactly the same way!

Undoubtedly, the Thai language is the key to deciphering this difference. There are so many different ways to address people, so many different words to use to denote your position in the relationship between you and the person you are speaking to. The nuances are in the detail. The detail is everything. It can be the difference between everyone smiling and running around doing what you asked them to do, or looking at you like you're something they just stepped in.

Even people I know who are, I would say fluent in Thai, are still light years away from really coming to terms with this phenomenon. It seems that it is so inbuilt in both sets of people that it is next to impossible to explain. Even when it is explained, neither side really knows why the other has their emotional responses set in this way.

For most of us, it's enough to be getting along with to understand that 'jai yen yen' is definitely the way to go. Later, we might begin to understand why.

And it's not just because if we don't, we'll get a slap!
    ไม่ลองไม่รู้

PS I have posted other stuff about my trip but on the TRIP report section where it needs to be!!!!!!!
    Please keep all your excreta in one pile. It makes it so much easier to avoid it.

Just noticed this is post 777 - has to be a lucky number?
    Last edited by manfarang; 18th Oct 2012 at 16:03.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    Thai society places a high value on a person's ability to maintain 'jai yen' or 'cool heart'.
    Aye, shrek, remember that t-shirt? You know what it says on the back, don't you?
    Gordie T Geordie

Quote Originally Posted by canuck1941 View Post
    Let us be grateful that at least now there is punctuation, capitalization, and paragraphs.
    And nasty unhelpful sarcasm

Oops forgot the full stop. Sorry.

I have not visited or posted on this forum for a long time. I am sorry to say guys, after skimming this thread, I honestly feel that some of you need to get a life of your own. In my humble opiniun if I was a new visitor to the forum I would quickly log out. This thread is worse than some of the thai soaps my wife watches over here in Thailand. I used to find the forum an excellant resourse and it definetly helped me secure British Citizenship for both my wife and daughter over in the UK.

We now reside in Udon Thani where we have a very successful English school and yes I have worked in a government school and still volunteer in one. I also have all the relevant qualifications and work permits and visas so I do know a little about teaching English over here.

The point I am trying to make (especially to the Mods) do not let this forum degenerate to the likes of many other forums linked to Thailand. Where a few individuals just bicker about irrelivent points and use the forum as a way of 'point scoring'

Andy