Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRB checks

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CRB checks

Hi
    Most jobs require a CRB check. Just wondering if checks are made in Thailand if wife has only been in the UK for a couple of months.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CRB checks are only made for people who are working with children or have some capacity for being involved with children in some social activity.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Only some job legally require a CRB check. In short
    -Positions where you would have regular access to children under the age of 18 and/or vulnerable people. this does not include serving children/vulnerable people in ageneral food or retail or food environment
    -Postions requiring a taxi licence
    -regulated security position eg door supervisor
    -medical and legal professional
    -police, probation, and prison officers
    -some financial postions
    A full list can be found in the rehabilitation of ofeenders act 1974 (exceptions) 1975 order

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I understand what you are saying. But my question is are the checks carried out in Thailand as well as the UK?. I know when we opened a bank account for my wife the credit checks could only be in the UK, so I wondered if the same applied. CRB enhanced is required for the care industry.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe they do.
    There is a section on the CRB where the police can comment and they could say unable to check anything prior to.... and an enhanced CRB looks back 15 years which would count against in the eyes of the employer as the have a duty of care.
    You could also come unstuck as the employer could ask you to provide a checkable work history equal to a CRB and they may not be able to check, however I have read somewhere on a thread where someone got the police check done themselves in Thailand and had it stamped etc. Can't remember which one maybe somene can remember.

I don't known if that was ok and they got the job

Post Thanks / Like

I've had several CRB checks done since returning to the UK from Thailand, all 'passed' without any qualifying comments regarding the time spent in Thailand. I don't know if they have tightened up the system in the last few years but, IMHO, they were not worth the paper they were printed on, just another money-generating exercise. Based on the information I supplied - basically accommodation addresses in Thailand, where some of the landlords would probably not even have known who I was - I could not see how I could possibly have been given clearance which actually meant something. No information was required at all about my employers.

I know that former colleagues returning to other countries were required to obtain reports from the Thai police, either before leaving Thailand or on submission of fingerprints, with papers processed by an approved representative in Thailand (in my case it would have been the school's government liaison officer).
    Gordie T Geordie

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you in some respects they are a money grabbing exercise as most jobs don't actually require them.

However we are now a blame orientated country and if something should happen to someone in the care facility and it came to light that the checks were not done correctly ie 2 months history checked not 15 years there would much brown stuff hitting a big fan.

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago wifey had a cleaning job in a UK school who required a CRB from LOS which was sent to the police in her home city and surprisingly yes they replied and she was ok i.e the questions were answered No throughout. The school confirmed to us that they had had a response from LOS.

colin 244

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Colin did the police here ask those in thailand or did you

Post Thanks / Like

The School in the UK did it all jimmbo, Dao and I had no involvement in the process other than being told the result and yes she got the job.

colin 244

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

That is good the school did it. Did Dao get a copy of the CRB from the police

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the school sent us a copy of the ok and we included it in the FLR which was rather a good document I thought as support of the application

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    I agree with you in some respects they are a money grabbing exercise as most jobs don't actually require them.

However we are now a blame orientated country and if something should happen to someone in the care facility and it came to light that the checks were not done correctly ie 2 months history checked not 15 years there would much brown stuff hitting a big fan.
    Not sure what you mean, here, Jimmbo. The jobs I was applying for were teaching posts so exactly the sort of job which would require the reassurance these checks are supposed to provide. All that is required is the addresses that you have lived at during the previous 5 years. I don't think this has changed - where does your '15 years' reference come from? I do not believe that any worthwhile checks relating to my activities during that time were ever carried out before the certificate(s) were issued. It would seem to make more sense to ask for details of employers where appropriate.

The money-making aspect has got worse. 10 years ago, a CRB clearance document obtained by one employer/agency within a recent period of time would be accepted by another agency. Now it seems that you have to obtain a new one for each agency/education authority etc. Madness.
    Gordie T Geordie

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    Yes the school sent us a copy of the ok and we included it in the FLR which was rather a good document I thought as support of the application

colin 244
    Hi colin an exact copy of a CRB should be sent to you by the police and posted to at exactly the same time. The employer should not be giving you a copy. These are the rules now and I don't know if they were in place when Dao had her checks. It shoulds say Criminal Records and a long refeence number. It doesn't matter now because she got the job.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์
    Post Thanks / Like

GTG
    my reference to 15 years was they check your criminal record as far back as 15 years in fact it goes back even further and can show records for when you were under 18. What I meant was, would you want someone working with vulnerable people when you could only check their background as far back as 2 months.
    Yes you still need to supply your address for the previous 5 years so they can check in each police authority to ask if there is any further relevant information they would want to add to the CRB. For example they could put something like you are known keep company with a registered sex offender. I am not saying they would put it on there but they could. This would not appear on the National database because you have no cautions or charges etc but may be of interest in certain situations.

It is still the case a relevant CRB is acceptable but no employer seems to want to accept it because of the blame game. If something did happen it would be there fault because they didn't check.

Post Thanks / Like

Continuing from jimmbo60's post at #3, a criterion for demanding a CRB check is "regular access to children under the age of 18 and/or vulnerable people", as he says.

In addition, not only are there specific exemptions to the Rehab. of Offenders Act that specifically require a CRB check to be carried-out, but to demand such a check when the job is NOT on that list of exemptions is a criminal offence in itself, I believe (can legal people on T-UK confirm this?).

Therefore, a CRB check can't be demanded simply because "you might come into contact with a child/vulnerable person at some time during the course of your duties". To do so is ILLEGAL.
    Last edited by Martin & Jin; 2nd Aug 2012 at 07:29.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert, but I believe there are two types - CRB check and Enhanced CRB check.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_link View Post
    I'm no expert, but I believe there are two types - CRB check and Enhanced CRB check.
    correct the first one is basically for people who will be coming into contact with children as part of their job / social activities the enhanced is for people whose job or social activitity involves direct working with children.

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. To make matters clear my wife applied for a job in a retirement home and they confirmed that she had the job subject to CRB checks.( in fact the proprietor told me she was ideal for the job) I know she had a problem in Thailand some time back and the reason for my enquiry was to discover if any problems in Thailand would show up on the report. Jimmbo60's reply is hopeful

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jimmbo,

Yes Dao's check was a while ago and probably only basic CRB not enhanced as posted above.

colin 244