Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the cost to transfer a bike into another name ??

S

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know ? Chop chop I'm going to get it in the am tomorrow

Seriously though I have never bought anything secondhand here before.

Also for any seasoned biking gentlemen out there, is there anything I should look for on the bike. All I really know is if you turn the loud handle around it goes like stink.

It's a six month old Kawasaki Ninja 650r, with only 1600 km on the clock. I've agreed 200 with the seller
    and I won't pay him (all agreed) until my name is in the book, and I have the book and keys. The seller (from Bury St. Edmunds ) lives in BKK and has no time to use it.

Any advice would really be appreciated. ((But don't take too long about it. ( kidding))

Regards

S (Stephen or Dave to the locals here, true and a long story)

PS, it's red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you'll find the onus of paying for the transfer is part of the bargaining process and can rests with either party. I've bought second hand vehicles here and paid it myself and also have the vendor pay it. Can't help you with the cost though, it was a while ago and lost in the mists of time.
    Phil.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry should have said, we've agreed to split it.

Regards

S

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a nippy bike SDM

colin 244

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, when I lived in blighty I had three Porsche 911's in succession, and they were fairly nippy. But I had a go on one of these Kawasaki 650's a few weeks ago and was blown away (almost quite literally) by the power and speed.

Before I came to Thailand I had never had or ridden a motorbike, and have been sensible working my way up the power bands. First 125 cc Honda PCX for four months, then a CBR 250cc for 8 months. I will keep the Ninja for longer I think because bigger bikes aren't really sensible for Pa Tong, but ultimately I want to go to 1000 cc plus.

They are dangerous but boy do they make you feel alive !!

S

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ ian1208's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you take a day out (a long day) at the Kaeng Krachan Circuit in Petchaburi. Not exactly local for you but you can test your skills (read limits) on the new mount
    27357410.jpg

Nice winding track with undulating surface. Be warned, there nought there except the track although someone will find you and ask for track fees
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably like the old original German F1 track where you are allowed to drive your own bike or car round the track where Lauda burnt and a speed freaks dream but the place is littered with expensive wrecks

colin 244

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian1208 View Post
    I would suggest you take a day out (a long day) at the Kaeng Krachan Circuit in Petchaburi. Not exactly local for you but you can test your skills (read limits) on the new mount
    Looks amazing, but I will just take a drive out to Krabi with a friend with a similar machine. Once you get off the island the roads become much less congested, longer straights, tight and relaxed bends.

S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I had never had or ridden a motorbike, and have been sensible working my way up the power bands. First 125 cc Honda PCX for four months, then a CBR 250cc for 8 months.
    Quite a difference between a 250 and a 650 (I know, stating the obvious). I did that jump many many moons ago, Suzuki GT250 to Suzuki GS550EN, but I had the backing of being an RAC/ACU trained instructor and a lot more months on the road than yourself, but even so, the difference was scary.

Enjoy the bike but take things easy (to start ).
    Champions 20|13

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We are using a private agent to assist since the Land Vehicle office is a mad confusing place and because bike was originally registered in Chiang Mai. It's going to end up costing about 3000.

S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Quite a difference between a 250 and a 650 (I know, stating the obvious). I did that jump many many moons ago, Suzuki GT250 to Suzuki GS550EN...................Enjoy the bike but take things easy (to start ).

Sorry only just saw this.....

Have now seen and agreed to buy it firmly, just doing the transfer paperwork now. The chap selling just gave me the keys and said " go for a spin and call me when you are back"

All I can say is that, again s a former 911 owner, that I have never known such power in a machine. I cannot imagine what a 1000cc + would be like !!!

Thanks for your words of caution. I try to have respect for the bikes and not take silly risks, but maybe the danger is what makes it such an exciting form of transport !

S

PS tried to upload a photo but can't seem to do from ipad

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the power can get you out of trouble, SDM, sometimes get you in...

Post Thanks / Like

Photo when you can SDM as sounds like a mean machine do you remember the old "green meanies" back in the 70's/80's i.e. Kawasaki in green and going from memory the purple ones were the 750's (sadly 2 mates killed on these) so take care on your new aquisition

colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the Kermit, I flipped a 750 in the New Forest, would have got top points in an Olympic event, luckily not a mark on the bike, but the power was phenominal!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    Photo when you can SDM as sounds like a mean machine
    I will when I get home and can do from my PC. It is really quite stunning, but in the meantime this is it, same colour. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=201...6D7Q5qXb-X0kM:

S
    Last edited by SDM; 11th Aug 2012 at 04:16. Reason: Added link

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Right all the paper work is done, just need to get it from Bangkok to Phuket, and I'm not riding it (although looking at the performance maybe I should say I'm not piloting it)

Apart from sending it in the post does anyone have any other idea who I can get to ship it to Phuket ? I've send a mail to DHL and awaiting an answer.

S

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All the people that I've spoken to that have done this sort of thing have all used Thai Post. Apparently their service is very good. Any particular reason you don't want to use them, or are you just exploring all the options?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy selling the bike has asked me several times what post office I am using, and he says he only has one key to the bike. Probably nothing, and my name is in the green book. Just a niggle at the back of my mind.

S

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're worried about the key, why not ask him to send it separately by registered mail?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I will collect it from him on Tuesday, I just wonder why he is so curious about how I will transport it, by what post office. He only has one key and I know it would have been sold initially with two, could he rock up to the post office later with another key and take it ?

My problem is I don't trust no one*

S

* double negative for effect only