Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

RSS Feed Four dead in Thai nightclub fire

A fire at a nightclub in the popular Thai tourist destination of Phuket has killed four people and injured about a dozen others, police say.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Post Thanks / Like

RSS Feed Londoner died in Thai disco fire

A 24-year-old man from London was among four people killed in a fire at a nightclub in Thailand, police say.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News UK RSS Feed)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Londoner died in Thai disco fire

They say only four died but I find that hard to believe looking at the damage. I only knew one of the girls, she worked in Soi Eric Bangla and supported her two kids and parents.

S

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As there were (allegedly) no more than 80 people there in the first place, four deaths is an appallingly high ratio.

Reports said the fire broke out at about 04:00 local time (22:00 BST), after the official closing hours.

But there were up to 80 people there who were taking shelter from rain, an executive with the group which operates the venue told AFP.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Tiger is normally packed at that time because the lady bars go there after work looking for customers. Most bars on in the Sois off Bang la close at 3.00/3.30', Soi Crocodile and Tiger 2 normally around 5.

S

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    They say only four died but I find that hard to believe looking at the damage. I only knew one of the girls, she worked in Soi Eric Bangla and supported her two kids and parents.
    As you live here you will know more than most Id imagine.

When I was last there they had just finished builidng a new tiger complex opposite the old one on soi bangla. My understanding was the old was to shut down and this replace it in due course?

This is the old building burnt down i think . Could shoddy maintenance be an issue as they were soon to vacate? I know the lightening strike theory has been rejected by energy cheifs there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We have Tiger, with bars downstairs and a nightclub upstairs, that's the one you know as the "old one", I certainly haven't heard anything about it closing. The new one one a bit further down and opposite also called Tiger, but known by the locals as "Tiger 2", is just one level of bars, and the final Tiger, not really known as anything because no one ever went there is on the road that runs behind Jung Ceylon and has the Tiger Hotel, and that's just closed. Not the hotel as far as I know, just the bar complex.

S

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant find any decent articles on it, but this one relates a little - http://www.phuket101.net/2011/12/new...ong-beach.html

Downstairs in the new building is the beer bar bit and the upstairs to be a huge club and replace the old one. Thats definetly what someone told me at New Year when I was there. Not sure if its true, possibly not even relevant to this tragedy, but the thought entered my head.

RIP to the young man here, 24 is too young

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

"At the time this story is written, only the ground floor has been completed and even if only half of the available bars are rented, it already looks busy and lively. The new Tiger is very ambitious and so vast, it could easily swallow three times the old one."

This is still the case, I didn't know there was a second or third floor as only the ground floor of Tiger "2" is open, and only the bars at the front are taken. It is sad off course that these people died but we hear about this kind of thing all to often now and it doesn't always make the papers. It's down to shoddy maintenance, poor management and that's only on the Thai side. Many of the tourists cause their own problems by getting drunk and picking on the locals, which is always a bad idea, but that's another story.

Do you remember the chap last year that was electrocuted when he touched a power point in the pavement on Bang La in the rain ? Safety standards here are very poor.

S

Post Thanks / Like

Phuket seems to be on a mission to self-destruction at the moment....bad news story after bad news story. I'm guessing as it is the more acceptable face of Thailand is attracts more news story's.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

SDM - Hello

The English guy who died was from Winchmore Hill. His cousin works for my best friend. What a tragedy.

J

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Do you remember the chap last year that was electrocuted when he touched a power point in the pavement on Bang La in the rain ? Safety standards here are very poor.

Remember the Santika fire? It's a fun country but not one where many worry about safety. I wonder if anything'll get done about it?
    Last edited by GTG; 26th Aug 2012 at 02:30. Reason: Irrelevant wind-up removed