Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Touch the Dragon
    A Thai Journal

Karen Connelly

Karen Connelly was just 17 when she left Canada to live in Thailand for a year. This book explores the culture, life and people of Thailand. It was awarded the Governor General's Award for Non-Fiction in 1993, and was a New York Times Notable Travel Book of the Year in 2002.

• Click the above link/image for details of this book.
    • Reply to this topic to add your review.
    • Use the Rate Thread link above to submit your rating of this book.
    • Click here to search other titles by Karen Connelly.
    Last edited by maokaang; 4th Oct 2009 at 07:25.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just finished this little gem. I managed to get my hands on a secondhand copy and it has been the best £1.50 I've spent in a long time During the 80's the Canadian author spent a year living in Thailand as a 17yo exchange student and the book is based on her journal. Much of the book details her time living in Denchai, a small village in Northern Thailand and the families that took her in. At times its hard to believe the writing style and detailed descriptions are that of a 17yo (although I believe it took 4 years to compile the book) but she manages to capture perfectly some of the frustrations & "Thainess" that I'm sure most of us have felt at some time.

If you're bored of the usual Thai books, crime fiction, "relationship" books etc then this is defo worth a look

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

This looks good, thanks for the review, you're right the crime fiction stuff being published at the moment is a bit boring especially given the low quality of it
    แอนโธนี่

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the John Burdett & Christoper Moore books but yeah, a lot a rubbish around too.