Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Premium Member

Misguided, bitter rant? Are you serious? After everything the bib have put these families through with their sheer stupidity and ignorance I'm amazed she's still going.

I agree about David Miller, had it happened on another island it would never have been raised.

In regards to travelling to France or England the difference is in the attitude of both the police and govt. Would Cameron come out and say "the terrorists are 100% not British." Would the British police go on a man hunt through local Muslim communities trying to locate suitable candidates for the death sentence who reassured potential tourists that the bad guys have been caught? If tourists were being murdered in a French holiday hotspot would the authorities allow the killers to roam freely in order to save face and the image of the country?

I don't read any criticism of the general Thai public myself. To me it's an attack on the BIB which is thoroughly justified.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok agreed, a bad choice of words on my part. Apologies for that. My point was mainly that to advise people not to go there at all is taking it out of perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Don't disagree with your points Todd, but I'm trying to remember ANY murder of a foreigner for which a Thai has been prosecuted.

Having grown up in the 70's / 80's I remember the amount of false evidence the police used here in the UK to convict people, I think Thailand is 50 years behind us, but 20 years ahead in their ignorance is bliss / mai pen rai attitude.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    I wonder if those "liking" or sharing the post would condemn travelling to France for the risk of being shot by terrorists? Flying, well, anywhere for the risk of being blown up or shot down? Heading into central London for the risk of being stabbed to death for a mobile phone?
    Probably not. There's a big difference between the risk of being a victim of a crime and feeling that the crime not being taken seriously or investigated properly by the police in that country.

On the other side of the coin. I went to bed yesterday after reading about the Brit girl involved in an accident in Thailand & the appeal for blood donors. The following morning I was reading about the response of those in Thailand queuing at the hospital to give blood.
    You mean that incident where the girl's friend, a farang, put out a message on Facebook for other farang travellers and expatriates to come to help because the hospital didn't have enough A- blood? And lots of farangs came to help? (Less than 1% of Thais have this blood group).

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Don't disagree with your points Todd, but I'm trying to remember ANY murder of a foreigner for which a Thai has been prosecuted.
    That policeman who shot 2 tourists in Kanchanaburi eventually got prosecuted for it, despite his colleagues being reluctant http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2016/...-thailand.html

Back to this case, http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2016/...ce-on-koh.html

"..What if I told you that when we went to Thailand to bring Hannah home, we were offered the opportunity to go to the Royal Thai police headquarters for an ‘official update’… but that, on arrival, we were taken into a large room, left for 5 minutes before the door opened and around 200 journalists were allowed into the room and we were ambushed by this mob of hungry journalists shoving cameras in our faces…

The thai police chief had no intentions of giving us an update… after all, the bungled investigation meant he had nothing to tell us. The invitation was so that he could make money out of our misery. The press had paid him generously for 5 minutes to capture photographs of our family."
    Last edited by livingwithathaigirl; 12th Jan 2016 at 11:47.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Tomorrow, Wednesday on channel 4 there is a programme called MURDER IN PARADISE filmed in Koh Tao.

RSS Feed Thai beach murders pair appeal

Two Burmese men convicted of murdering two British travellers on a Thai beach lodge appeals against sentence and conviction.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News UK RSS Feed)

RSS Feed Thai beach murders: Convicted men lose death sentence appeal

The Burmese men were sentenced to death for murdering two British backpackers in Thailand in 2014.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

No idea who committed the murders, but the police's handling of the whole matter has been a disgrace.

Member สมาชิก

If this happened in the UK it would have been thrown out however this is Thailand.
    The handling of it was very poor and investigation flawed.

I am sure I read somewhere that one of the police officers gave a press statement saying no thai person could have done it.
    I kind of feel that if they accused a Thai person then they feel it would impact the tourist industry hence why they have accused these 2 males.

I read somewhere that the families of the victims were happy with the verdict. I can't put myself in their shoes as I haven't experienced what they are going through but I really don't think that the right people have been convicted.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Bangkok & Iraq

One wonders if the death sentence would have happened if they had been Thai, or whether a few a few days in the Temple would suffice

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

The guys who live over there will know this but I was told by a Koh Tao hotel manager that the entire island knows who actually did this.

Completely disgusting, I really feel for those 2 guys. I hope some form of clemency can be given.

As has already been said, the prosecution's case would be thrown out in any civilised country - the DNA fiasco is shameful.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

are these the burmese guys ,if so a set up they was thail who did it yet agian a reason to avoid police and any one in uniform in thailand keep away thats all i can say

Premium Member

Has there been an update?

The first thing the clown in charge and PM said was 'this isn't a Thai crime' or words to that effect. Hence the circus that followed.

It was always going to be a case of blaming an immigrant or 2. It probably always will be. Let's face it even the police are under orders to get it cleaned up without the tourism industry being hurt. That order comes from the very, very top and nobody dares to challenge it. I dislike the BiB with a passion but they have no control or influence over these incidents. Those in power do and abide by the injustices.

The only others that DID have a say were the victims' families and the so-called team of UK police who investigated themselves. The fact that both are content with the findings suggest that either the police have got it right OR they have been hoodwinked themselves. I personally believe they are too smart for the Thai BiB to con them so maybe, just maybe they do have the right people. I can't see any other reason for them accepting the Thai version of events.

Anyone wishing to flame should read my previous posts where I was in full support of the accused Burmese.

The problem comes when people assume that Thailand is a country where justice prevails. It so obviously does not and in many everyday occurrences not just crime. In a system where skin colour, age, wealth, social standing, family name all take precedence over ability or what is right how can anyone expect different?

I haven't heard any updates on that scumbag who killed the 2 kids whilst speeding in the inside lane or the police chief who set his dogs on a 3 year old child for peeing up his wheel. One thinks I never will either.

RSS Feed Thai beach murders: National Crime Agency unlawfully shared data

Reprieve says the National Crime Agency "secretly handed over evidence" to Thai murder police.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

I really fear for these 2 guys. This case stinks and has done from the start. Last year I was talking to the manager of a hotel on Koh Tao who told me that everybody on the island knows who killed the couple and it wasn't the 2 Burmese men.

This BBC story by Jonathan Head says all that needs to be said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35170419
    Last edited by Flip; 1st Sep 2017 at 00:14.

Premium Member

You could show a video of the real culprits in the act of the murders all over social media and the Thai authorities wouldn't reconsider. They know as well as any of us its a cover up yet too much money and too much face will be lost to back down.

Rookie มือใหม่

I think this is bad for Thailand's tourism. This would scare potential visitors and local visitors. I hope this would be solved immediately.

Premium Member

"I think this is bad for Thailand's tourism. This would scare potential visitors and local visitors. I hope this would be solved immediately."

It was......Thai style! And for those exact reasons. Foreigner on foreigner crime. Don't be scared of coming to Thailand on holiday, its the land of smiles, no harm will ever come to you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    You could show a video of the real culprits in the act of the murders all over social media and the Thai authorities wouldn't reconsider. They know as well as any of us its a cover up yet too much money and too much face will be lost to back down.
    Sad but true.

What I find laughable with this and other similar cases - like the Phuket land scandal guy who supposedly beat himself up and then hung himself in his prison cell - is that they seem to think that people actually believe their story lines.

When the story of the beach murders first broke, some Thai official or other went on record stating that "no Thai person could have done this". Like, only foreigners committ murders in Thailand - he seemed oblivious to things like 16 year old technical college students killing each other for simply going to a rival tech.

So instead of keeping quiet, why don't the families of the victims stand up an be counted. A press conference denouncing the Thai investigation and justice system would go along way.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.