Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thumbs up Thai amulet - genuine blessed and not fake

Looking to purchase a few Thai amulet - genuine blessed by a Thai monk (pref also made by one and a renown monk) and not a fake.

Looking to get an amulet for 1) keeping my relationships love strong. 2) Ensure my finances and job security remain healthy.

If I can look further I would also like a protection and luck amulet.

Any advice or help?

Andy

A very interesting question Andy.

Why because it raises two practical issues or maybe one practical issue and one religious one.

Where to buy?

A website sets it out better than I can

http://www.thaiamuletsales.com/thai-...al-or-fake.htm

or http://thaibuddhaamulets.blogspot.co...k-amulets.html

To summarise " how can you know the provenance"

My recently deceased father in law had one that had provenance blessed by a long deceased monk of some repute. Swiped within hours of his death and worth apparently more than his house.

In practical terms it seems the only way you can be assured your amulet has even a passing acquaintance with any monk is to buy directly from a reputable Temple.

The second question.

Do they work? Well I ware an amulet. A St Christopher brought by my mum. It will,when inevitably my mum passes away, remind me of my mums love and wish to keep me safe and her wish to keep doing so from the next world.

Will I still wear a bullet proof jacket in a war zone? Heck yes.

Keep my relationship strong. Buy Sea Thai food treats and do the hoovering now and again. I just asked Sea " do they work" of course she said touching her King Rama " if you believe " .

So Andy if you believe you will be more relaxed and confident and maybe all these things will come about. The pact between man and God ( or the spirit world ) has never been one sided. You have to do your part.

In your case living a life the Monk would respect. Slow to anger, hard working, don't gamble and faff around, be conscious of your actions etc your relationship and job and finances are likely to go rather well.

Maybe in times of trouble your amulate might give you a "turbo boost of intervention" but in the main respecting the values of its creator will be enough.

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the reply. Greatly appreciated.

I've seen this website (first link) plus others. Including similar web pages on fake amulets or genuine and the manner/purpose in which they are purchased. I.E tourists fade, purchased as collectibles etc. All against the purpose and faith (religion is the wrong word IMHO) of Buddhism. I failed to read this first link though. Thanks for pointing me in it's direction.

Having a Laotian fiancee (together for just over a year now) I am fully encapsulating myself in her cultures. And this is certainly not a fad. I am learning everyday about the culture and traditions of life in Isaan, Thailand and Laos. I'm a Catholic but learning about the Buddhist way of life. Buddhism is a way of life, an ethos. It is not a religion IMO. My Catholic upbringing will adapt to the Buddhist way of life. I am embracing it.

Karma goes a long way. I agree. But it is the belief and protection of an amulet when needed for that moment in life you can not control. A personal accident, a lack of understanding in hard times or the sale/closure of a company you work for etc. If I believe an amulet will help and have faith, as long as the amulet if genuine it can help. Call it superstition. Thai culture is full of it.

I agree the best think to do it obtain an amulet direct from a temple blessed by a monk. But for now I am 10 weeks away from seeing my fiancée again. I would like to acquire something between that time for now. Hence my post.

I hope that gives a background and understanding into my original quote.

If anyone is aware of a route and a seller of genuine amulets who stays true to the Buddhist faith and would not wish to incur the achievement of bad karma accumulated from the sale of fake amulets.... Then please do let me know more info. I know that the possibility of finding such is slim. But not harm in trying. I would do anything to help ensure no obstacles unexpected are placed in front of us that are too difficult to hurdle. But the amulet would be just for that. Protection from unexpected bad news that may keep us apart.

Hope you understand and some other helpful replies are received.

Andrew.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on where to buy as all of our amulets have been "gifts" from the local village monks. I would just like to agree with Richards "if you believe" comments.

I drive an average of 30000 miles per year as part of my job.
    Jumpa insists that I have an amulet hanging from my rear view mirror at all times, I have done for the almost 10 years she has been with me in the UK. She believes that it keeps me safe on the road and brings me back home to her.
    During my travels I, unfortunately, have witnessed many accidents and read later that someone hadn't made it home. I consider myself to be a good, experienced driver. I always take note of road conditions, make sure I am aware of what is going on around me, and always stick to the speed limits , I would like to think that this contributes to my safety.

Recently my car was in for a service and I was given a courtesy car. Forgot to swap over my tomtom, my in car phone charger and my sun glasses - no way was I going to forget that 1 inch high piece of brass that hangs from my rear view mirror !!!
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi There,

I lived in Thailand for 5 years and on my travels I was given an amulet as a present.

Many times after I had been stopped by Thais (and some non thais) who informed me that the amulet is very rare and valuable. i am looking to find out some information on the said amulet and maybe looking to sell it.

Kind regards

David

Talking point: what have amulets got to do with Buddhism, in its pure sense? About as much as relics have to do with Christianity - so perhaps OK for a catholic!

I am afraid there is a strong market in Thailand for fake amulets. They can be very very clever in replicating old and 'valuable' amulets that have the experts in two minds on provenance.
    There is a (Thai) collector in Sakaeo. He owns a well established family hotel and this is his passion (and business).
    He explained that even a copied amulet whilst not authentic can be blessed and is still of high value to the wearer.
    You really need to pay an expert to put a true value on these things if indeed it is rare.
    That said, just because it is rare, does not represent value or high price. A good way of establishing a true value is to have an insurance valuation carried out. Preferably in Thailand. They tend to charge a fee for this but at least you will get a replacement/ total loss and a retail value
    I am no expert but I have seen many people passing through Sakaeo trying to sell their prized amulet to this guy. Most end in tears as the value is no more than a good Rolex copy.
    Can you post a photo? Front and back, and of the setting where it is attached to the top for a chain. Some of the more rare ones are very small made from various stone. It is the actual figure contained in the amulet not the case that is worth the most.

edit; sorry meant to say that just about anything can be blessed even by famous monks. It doesnt mean it increases the value.
    Here is a good blog;
    https://ahaina.wordpress.com/categor...uddha-amulets/
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Rookie มือใหม่

I would be happy to try to identify and authenticate your amulet for you.
    I can't say i would buy it, but i am able to look at a clear photo closeup (has to be clear photo and if some macro size images even better to examine tiny details), and usually can identify and authenticate most amulets.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Firstly, an unblessed amulet is not automatically a fake. All Buddha Images are sacred. blessed or not. Faith is one of the ingredients to the arising of supernatural circimstances. One can argue if the faith of the devotee is that which causes the miracle? or is it the blessings of the Monks? or is it the Image of the Buddha? Beliefs differ on the source and cause of miraculous events related to amulets.
    Next point is that the amulet which is regarded as a fake, does not mean blessed or not. it means, that some editions have a particular design with code stamps and limited edition features, which forgers then replicate and sell claiming it to be an original from the said edition. This usually happens with famous editions from famous masters, or any edition which carries high price.
    But an image of the Buddha or other sacred Image, which is cast or formed as an image to represent a sacred object, but which does not emulate a particular specific edition, is not really considerable as a fake.
    If you buy in temples, buy from the temple office, not from the stalls in the surrounding marketplace. There are so many 'fakes' which emulate famous amulets, and i myself am 15 years into studying amulets, and have written 7 book on the topic of Thai Buddha Magic, and i am still refining my standards of authentication, and learning all the time. One never stops learning in the Amulet trade, and a devotee or collector who does not have years of study and experience behind him, needs an honest and truthful and moral trader to provide authentic amulets. it is of extreme importance that you can trust the person who provides you with amulets. One good way of knowing, is to ask the trader about the amulet and see how much he or she knows about it. Not all amulets are Buddhist, and not all are made by Monks either. there are amulets made by Lay Masters and Lersi Hermits, and some amulets are even related to Necromancy, Elemental Magick, and other forms of Dark Arts Sorcery. There are coins, Takrut scrolls with sacred geometry designs and spell inscriptions in ancient Khom Sanskrit, there are magic oils, balms and potions for enchantment and seduction. Deity images, metal statuettes, Sacred Powder amulets. Kama Sutra love charms for promiscuity, potions for ladies of the night to seduce men with, sacred cloth Yantra designs for the wall, and Elemental Substances from the earth which are used to generate Magickal Forces, heal, protect, bring wealth... There are New-Age amulets and Old-Skool amulets, and there are cheap amulets, and very expensive amulets. Expensive is less to do with power, than it has to do with the collectorship interest and speculative marketeering. There is no reason why a Pra Somdej Buddha amulet made by Somdej Pra Puttajarn (Dto) Prohmrangsri Wat Rakang Kositaram might cost 1 millioon dollars for an accepted model, and only 500$ for one that is less accepted, when in truth, both editions were blessed by the same powerful monk, but in the high end collector scene, as seen with penny red and penny black stamps.. the 'penny black' costs a lot more than the 'penny red' however, both stamps are authentic, of same age, and stamped by the same organisation (blessed by the same monk)
    So wouldnt you say that the 500$ amulet blessed by great Monk should be just as powerful as the 1 million baht amulet blessed by the same great Monk?
    A 100$ Seiko tells the time just as well as a 10,000 $ gold and diamond encrusted Seiko

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Thaddeus's Avatar

Now I know why one man was able to sell the Eiffel Tower four times.
    Sit a spell, take your shoes off.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

I have some Magic Beans fo sale if anyones interested ??

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Thaddeus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    I have some Magic Beans fo sale if anyones interested ??
    Quite.

Visit the scene of any road traffic accident in Thailand, every single vehicle involved will have been blessed by a monk.

A genuine one mind, you don't get something as important as a car blessed by a fake monk now do you.

It's all nonsense.

When you take any belief and stack it against empirical evidence, it never fares well.

btw, no one can talk to dead people either.
    Sit a spell, take your shoes off.

I can.
    They just dont talk back.......................

The LAST time the brother in law took us from Surin to Bangkok he folded his arms and said Buddha will protect us Robert. He was doing 140kph, I just shook my head.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

I'd just ask him to stop and get out as I have done with Taxi Drivers, no way I'm risking my precious family's lives for a Lewis Hamilton wannabe even if I risk the dreaded Face issue, which is another load of old gonads which belongs in the past.

He got the message Prikphet and we have not asked him since. He's lost money as he was well paid.

Yup, I sat in a 'van' with white knuckles grasping whatever I could when our driver reached for his amulet hanging from the rear view mirror, chanted something, then decided to overtake six or seven cars and trucks while quite obviously several other trucks and cars were coming in the opposite direction.
    I really really thought we were going to die especially when in that split second or so, all the other vehicles (on our side and the other side) decided to speed up and all at once declared that this was their space.
    We lost both mirrors!! Thats how close it was. All were doing over 120km so if we had hit proper an impact speed of 240km!!
    He stopped to look and shout at everyone who just kept going.................
    I took my kids, well off the road and he had the cheek to say ''Thank Buddha''

I opened the back and threw out our belongings and told him where to go. He was not a happy chappy.
    All this when I agreed to pay what I thought was a premium to take a leisurely trip home.

Premium Member

Reading these posts remind me of the time I took the cheapest taxi I could find to the airport, even though the 'limosine' service was only about 500 baht more. Well I'm not exaggerating much when I say we became briefly airborn several times on hitting those odd one foot (?) height differences you ocassionally come across on the highways, plus the fact he wasn't content to sit in one lane behind anything travelling less than 120kph.
    I considered telling the driver to stop so I could get out and kept repeating 'Cha Cha' (which was just met with a nod and grin - but no decrease in speed), but decided to brave it as it was hot and being left at the side of a busy highway many kms from BKK didn't seem too great either.
    The car was old and should've been scrapped a decade earlier, and made me realise being a cheap skate in Thailand wasn't always a good idea.
    My Jackie Chan wannabe stunt driver didn't get a tip.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Ajarn. I was wondering if you still come on this site and if you are available to identify or authenticate some amulets for me please? These have been passed down by a Thai family. My email is sharronnicholle@ yahoo.com if you could contact me I would be very grateful. Thank you.