Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat flyers

Blog Entries

Default Fat flyers

Just saw this headline pop up on Sky News whilst I am at work:-http://news.sky.com/story/include-ai...-says-10724729

"Nearly 40% of British travellers believe airlines should take a passengers' weight into consideration when setting luggage allowances, a survey suggests."

Opinions? I am fairly sure it has been discussed before on here

Old Hand มือเก่า

Having spent 11 hours on a direct flight next to an obese chap who was overflowing into my seat and made the woman on the aisle seat swap with him so he could go to toilet easier I would happily agree to such paying extra for 2 seats. The luggage allowance doesn't fuss me though.

I think we are too polite over how people prepare for flights. When I was young I remember it all kicking off behind us because a woman asked to be moved to another seat as the chap next to her had horrendous B.O. She was seen to be in the wrong but why? You know you are getting on a plane sitting next to people yet don't take the time to wash properly.

Similarly those who arrive and hold the queues up with things they know full-well they can't bring through. They are tenderly assisted, often arguing as they receive such, then ushered through. Back of the queue until you work it out for yourself!!!

Not exactly "overflowing" the seat in that picture just can't fasten the "short" seat belt. An extension belt is an easy option.

If going down the route of weighing passengers then surely the Duty Free needs to weighed as well.

Normally tickets say 1 piece of carry on luggage but yet you can go and buy umpteen bags of duty free (at what extra weight) and still be allowed on the plane and also expect to find space in the overhead lockers.
    Have I Mentioned That I VOTED OUT

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Can't suggest what the right way of treating overweight passengers should be but it is awful sitting next to one.......................or even between 2.............erkkkk!!! Almost as bad as the 2 lots of screaming brats I had to endure on the flight from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep on the next leg.

I have only had this problem once, I guess I've been lucky but I did ask to be moved and the staff managed it. I wonder what the position would have been if there were no spare seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I wonder what the position would have been if there were no spare seats?
    Probably tuff luck, sit there and suck it up.

Yes, most likely.

fatties eh

I think the term "passengers of size" might be appropriate

This is taken from southwest airlines website in the US

seems a sensible approach to me IMHO

Guidelines for Customers of Size

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; width between the armrests measures 17 inches. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

So clear as mud then!

So if you are a passenger of size then purchase an extra seat before hand and we might give you your money back later or alternatively don't purchase an extra seat and we will just give you one free

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    So clear as mud then!

So if you are a passenger of size then purchase an extra seat before hand and we might give you your money back later or alternatively don't purchase an extra seat and we will just give you one free
    the point being that the elephant in the room (cabin) still needs to be addressed

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Almost as bad as the 2 lots of screaming brats I had to endure on the flight from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi tonight.
    Did their parents really let them scream all the time or did they try to soothe them?

I've been behind noisy kids on planes and have (silently) cursed their parents for not soothing them or for bringing them in the first place but it's even worse being a parent on a plane with a baby or toddler who won't sleep. (And before you blame me, I didn't want any of us to travel to Thailand!)

Nope, one kid in particular was a proper little terror. His dad and 2 sisters sat on the same row - the sisters quietly. This horror refused to put his seat belt on and unfastened it every time his dad or the Stewardess put it on. He whinged and cried, climbed all over the place and constantly took off down the aisle for pretty much the entire flight.

The others were 2 Arab children who's mothers seemed oblivious to there screaming which, whilst not constant, at least one of them was screeching for a large portion of the flight. When one stopped, the other took over.

It would be my worst nightmare having to sit close to kids that are constantly screaming for 12 hours. A stewardess for BA who is a friend threw a family off a plane two years ago because two kids were being so disruptive but that was before it took off.

I would complain like hell until the flight crew did something. Getting the parents to control them would be ok but upgrading me would also be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I would complain like hell until the flight crew did something.
    The only problem of doing that is that you become more of a pain to the crew than the kids. Then watch out for the complimentary drink (with a shot of eye drops in) and you won't have time to be complaining

As long as it's only eye drops...

It's not right. Parents who can’t control their kids shouldn't be allowed to take them on planes. If they are spoiling the flight for anybody near them they need sorting out.

I think that at times when its likely to be worth it to the airlines (school holidays etc.) there should be family only flights. Anyway, we've gone off topic

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

That's not a bad idea actually. Kids like to play with other kids.

I sat next to a kid once who did his best to annoy me (the mother encouraged him), he kept elbowing me when I tried to sleep and saying things a kid wouldn't know about (mum again). For once in my life I actually managed to stay calm. I just thought no wonder people grow up being prejudiced when parents are teaching a five(?) year old to behave disrespectfully.
    My biggest bug bear is when someone, usually always a guy, insists on using both armrests for hours at a time.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Spoilt kids can be the worst nightmare:-

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    My biggest bug bear is when someone, usually always a guy, insists on using both armrests for hours at a time.
    Funny how the little things annoy us - I hate that too. I always think, what sort of arrogant so and so would do that, is he just trying to appear superior?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Funny how the little things annoy us - I hate that too. I always think, what sort of arrogant so and so would do that, is he just trying to appear superior?
    To get back on track, in my experience it's usually the more rotund passengers who claim both armrests but don't really have a choice due to their size.

I always get a window seat just so I can use it to rest against when sleeping, so the tubby and the armrest trespassers rarely get my goat. My gripe is with the people who have their chair all the way back for the whole flight (even during meal times) and the sound of seatbelts unclipping as soon as a tyre touches the ground...but this thread has got me thinking, that sound must be all the fatties who've been sucking their stomaches in for landing!