Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default What to bring from TH to UK

Apologies if this sounds like a strange question but I haven't lived in the UK for many years so have no idea on the availability and costs of things there.

Will be visiting with wife and two sons next month for 2 months and am wondering what items that are cheaply and readily available in Thailand should we bring to England. Food items, spices/ingredients, pharmaceuticals, bum gun for the toilet, etc etc.

Essentially what can we get in TH that we cant in the UK?

Well, I have never seen a bum-gum here, but I do recall in the past a debate about their pro's & cons and if I recollect correctly, GTG has one fitted. Might be worth doing a search!
    'Tis me

You can get almost anything food wise in Thai food shops in the UK now. It depends what you want but even Amazon sells blacky sticky rice and many herbs where you don't even have to leave the house. Order over the Internet and it arrives quickly.

Things like pain killers are quite a bit stronger in Thailand and things like pharmaceuticals are much cheaper.

Nothing I can really think of unless you are talking about things like wedding clothes, normal clothes etc that are much, much cheaper in Thailand.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Well, I have never seen a bum-gum here, but I do recall in the past a debate about their pro's & cons and if I recollect correctly, GTG has one fitted. Might be worth doing a search!
    Freely available in the UK, In Arabic (I think) they are called "shataff" or sometimes called "Muslim shower" or "bidet shower". Ebay or any number of small plumbing suppliers thrown up by Google. Mainstream plumbing suppliers might be hit or miss, depending on how cosmopolitan your locale is...
    Last edited by Timbo; 2nd Feb 2017 at 16:54.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Pretty much everything is available if your near a major city, my missus brings nothing back these days its just not worth the hassle.

I always fill my case with red Fanta but if it's only for 2 months I think you'll survive with out it. My wife has brought back 'real' Tiger Balm and a small tube of gel for mouth ulcers (I don't know the name sorry, it's in thai, its in a white/red/green box), depends what your family use on a regular basis.

Maybe a couple of green papaya if you eat them, I wouldn't say thats readily available in most supermarkets and usually cost £5ish in the asian supermarkets.

Thanks for the replies, good to know we can get most things there. I was there last year for six weeks or so and really missed Thai food - the English diet is 'heavy' to say the least, and most Thai restaurants are over priced and under par!

Take at least twice the amount of money you were thinking of taking and a photograph of the sun, rain jackets and thermals .... if doing any driving take some tissues for your eyes for use in a petrol station forecourt smelling salts would be handy at that time too.
    brush up on some unfamiliar English phrases such as : " can you repeat that , I thought you said 24GBP for fish and chips x 4" ...... " sorry I meant a second class rail-fare from Sheffield to Leeds , not a return flight to Samoa"....... " no it was just the one night I wanted to book , not a month"...... " hello NatWest it s about a loan , were thinking of having a meal for four on the motorway services"...... " Hi were from Thailand and I was just wondering if anyone speaks English here" ..... that question has a default " No" in Boston, Lincs
    " Is there a manned Police Station with in 50 miles".... " looks like it s cheaper and easier to park in St Albans and getting the train into central London"..... Take a large packet of Sense of Humor with you.....
    bangkok mags

Yeah, last year I struggled a bit with the accents and ended up saying "sorry, can you repeat that in English" a few times. Blighty has certainly changed a lot since I last lived there in 1996.

Don't think we'll be using much public transport, as you say the rail fares will bankrupt me, will buy an old ❇❇❇❇box car to get us around in.

Thanks for the replies, good to know we can get most things there. I was there last year for six weeks or so and really missed Thai food - the English diet is 'heavy' to say the least, and most Thai restaurants are over priced and under par!

For most of this reasons we rarely eat out. My wife's Thai cooking is streets ahead of anything we have found in any of the local Thai restaurants and I rarely eat English food nowadays. She has been growing her own herbs and spices for a few months now but many are available in the local supermarkets. We just make a trip once a month to either Thai Smile in Hammersmith which is on the way to the Thai temple in Wimbledon or to Hoo Hing.

We stopped eating at one of the local pubs that served reasonable Thai food because the woman running it kept hassling my wife to go and work for her for £5 an hour. She wouldn't take no for an answer. It wouldn’t have worried me but I insisted that she pay minimum wage. At the time she wasn't allowed to work until my wife had FLR either and I ended up pointing out that the pub owner could end up with a big, big fine and my wife would likely be sent home. No chance...

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by buksida View Post
    ...what items that are cheaply and readily available in Thailand should we bring to England. Food items, spices/ingredients, pharmaceuticals, bum gun for the toilet, etc etc.

Essentially what can we get in TH that we cant in the UK?
    Nothing really these days apart from, maybe, a few exotic fresh herbs and vegetables that wouldn't survive the plane trip well anyway (we tried it the first time!)

Paracemetol, etc, is just as cheap here now. Ditto clothes (and they're better quality). We've installed a couple of bum guns, bought here (as Timbo mentioned they're called shower bidets and you can even get warm water ones).

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Pretty much everything is available if your near a major city, my missus brings nothing back these days its just not worth the hassle.
    I wish mine was the same. Our bags were full of junk last time. Special soaps, kilo bags full of little plastic bags that friends had ordered(!), 'special' cosmetics.

I guess whitening creams and herbal voodoo junk medicine stuff is something you can't get easily or cheaply here. You know - creams and potions of dubious merit for the gullible, stuff that doesn't work (and never lists its rubbish ingredients). None of it works, you're wasting your money.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    I guess whitening creams and herbal voodoo junk medicine stuff is something you can't get easily or cheaply here. You know - creams and potions of dubious merit for the gullible, stuff that doesn't work (and never lists its rubbish ingredients). None of it works, you're wasting your money.
    I guess I'm fortunante then, nearly all my wifes mates are farangs and she seems to use the same potions as them,....as for skin whitener it disappeared a long time ago when mother in law asked why she's covering up her pretty skin tone.

tobacco might save on the bank loan ,but carry it yourself ,not saying you should break the rules but 5 packs x 10 you and misses profit £80 might get a day out with that lol