Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Car importation

Rookie มือใหม่

Default Car importation

Hi could anyone tell me who does the valuation and inspection of imported cars, is it a third party organisation. What is the criteria for determining the value, and is the inspection done in the country of origin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Do you mean importing a car TO Thailand?

If that is what you mean - let me give you some advice.

When I first became involved with Thailand I started looking into getting my car/motorbike there. I could write for hours on the subject but to put it simply - forget it. They use their own valuation if its not available in Parker's guide. Even if you are prepared to pay the 200% + of the valuation that you will be charged, your problems will not be over. Your car is likely to be impounded on arrival for some spurious reason and you will no doubt have to pay a hideous amount of money to get it back. Even if you pass those hurdles you will then have to pay 100,000 baht to register it.

Believe me, unless you are very well connected in Thailand, it ain't happening. There are some seriously well connected Thai's who's cars have been impounded and finally auctioned off. I also know one Brit who thought he'd met a customs official that could 'help' him - they could, for 1/2 a million baht - his E Type ended up going back to the UK.

I've given up on the idea.

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Do you mean importing a car TO Thailand?

If that is what you mean - let me give you some advice.

When I first became involved with Thailand I started looking into getting my car/motorbike there. I could write for hours on the subject but to put it simply - forget it. They use their own valuation if its not available in Parker's guide. Even if you are prepared to pay the 200% + of the valuation that you will be charged, your problems will not be over. Your car is likely to be impounded on arrival for some spurious reason and you will no doubt have to pay a hideous amount of money to get it back. Even if you pass those hurdles you will then have to pay 100,000 baht to register it.

Believe me, unless you are very well connected in Thailand, it ain't happening. There are some seriously well connected Thai's who's cars have been impounded and finally auctioned off. I also know one Brit who thought he'd met a customs official that could 'help' him - they could, for 1/2 a million baht - his E Type ended up going back to the UK.

I've given up on the idea.
    Thanks for the advice, I knew it was a difficult situation
    , but you finally made me make my mind up..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member สมาชิก

Not only about the import problems, uk cars are set up different, UK aircon not suitable, radiator not suitable, you would have remove the car's heater thats a big job, if its petrol the ecu would need adjustments for Thai fuel .

I used to do it 18/20 years ago. Old Jap mot failures, rammed into a container. Made some money sure but the hassle was to great. Last one was my VW Toureg. Cost an arm and a leg with import tax but was cheaper to pay than bring back. Swallowed the hit and that was even in my wifes name as a personal import.
    They use a ‘world’ valuation book. It has every car ever made (probably on-line now) and they use a seven factor points (1-10) on condition to value the car. Always the high side though.
    There are still ways for older ‘classic’ (not out and out collectors) cars. Removing interior and engine etc, etc.
    Petrol isn’t a problem, diesel is strangely enough. Just not as refined as here. Older oil burners would be ok.
    Heater not a problem. Simply disconnect the fan/ blower and leave the heating matrix plumbed in. Helps with cooling. Only cars assembled there come without heaters.
    AC, worked fine with the Toureg.

Overall, its simply not worth the bother unless its your love of your life and you intend to be there a long time.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

I imported a car to West Africa left heater as was and the aircon worked fine climate hotter than Thailand also. One chap imported an old landrover to Hua Hun and added the engine etc later but definitely not worth the hassle
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Member สมาชิก

The reason for removing the heater is to avoid the tax, i am speaking from experience, and I am 100% correct the UK aircon is not powerful enough, you would need to have it flat out all the time.
    I do this for a living, 40 years in vehicle development covering all aspects and working for all the major motor manufacturers
    I have been involved with preparing numerous cars that have been shipped to Thailand, from memory two E Types Jags, one mclaren, four porsches, and a austin healey 3000.
    Last edited by Yo & Dave; 17th Mar 2017 at 19:14.

I am 100% correct the UK aircon is not powerful enough, you would need to have it flat out all the time.
    Well it worked fine in Cote D'ivoire and when I designed the logistics system for the ford galaxy VW sharon from memory the same unit was fitted across europe , that said my memory is not what it was. THe car in question was a peugeot 504

Member สมาชิก

Ash, Peugeot 504 from my memory never had Air conditioning, it never evan had power steering, i could be wrong though, unless someone personally fitted it.
    most of my work has been on cooling systems heat transfer technologies.

Well they sell spares for the 1981 model and it was a pretty cool car I owned 2 and before that a 404 estate.

My african car was a citroen no air con no doors no radio nothing a great car none the less

Baby brosse my first car.jpg

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

The route of removing parts is known as CKD - completely knocked down. This is supposed to reduce the import tax to around 20%. However, in practice the customs department make it extremely difficult for people trying this route with cars often impounded for years. I suspect that many of the imported luxury cars you see around Bangkok have been imported this way - on paper that is. I somehow think that all that is actually removed is the ash tray and the brown envelope. Unless you are seriously well connected, I can't see CKD being a viable route.