Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Default Phuket- up to date advice sought for trip this Xmas/January 2018

We are thinking of going to Phuket at Christmas/New Year. (Wife, me and daughter-5 and a half by then.) Never been. It looks beautiful, but there are stories about the Mafia controlling taxis and transport. We were thinking of staying at one of the Holiday Inns. But we might stay at another recommendation.

Any advice on the current state of things in Phuket, Christmas/New Year period or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

We went to Phuket for a short break last November and stayed in a condo owned by a friend of a friend. The condo is also on Air B & B as are many others. Its all about personal preferences but a condo is my choice over a hotel any day.

Phuket is much the same as its been for years - beautiful but crazily overpriced. Expect everything to cost you a lot more than it does elsewhere in Thailand. The only thing I found reasonable was car hire - but that's the power of the internet, hire companies have to be competitive.

I'd travel a bit further and go to Krabi, Phi Phi or Koh Lanta.

Myself n Mrs were in Phuket for a short 1 nt stopover last month just stayed near the Airport (Thalang).
    I was there for 3 nts last Aug (when the bombs went off) but was just a break for myself on the way to HK , I just stayed in Phuket Town which was ok for a few days , easy to eat etc , during the day the old town had it s share of visitors if you enjoy mainland Chinese screaming at each other from 2 feet .
    If you have not been before im sure you will enjoy it , but anyone thats been a few times I would agree with what Flip wrote , make sure you read the small print if booking hotels at Xmas/New Year some places it s compulsory to have THEIR Xmas meal or NY meal.
    I would recommend hiring a car and have no worries about getting about and a trip over the bridge into Phang-Nga and the National Park where you can take the little girl on a boat trip to see James Bond Island.
    I would also add Trang to Flips alternative recommendations.
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Recommend David Car Rent at the airport
    076-327487 or david@e-mail.in.th They will pick you up
    Think the details haven't changed. Never had a problem with them. Be very interesting how much they charge now with the Chinese and Russians in town
    Melnathan

Big Al
    we have twice visited Phuket in the last 3 years staying in patong at the sleep with me hotel ( newish hotel has every thing needed and wallet friendly) right next to the Jungceylon shopping centre with many western fast foods and shopping the bars oppersite are family friendly as opposed to the more raunchy bars 5 mins away in Bangla Rd

Thanks for all the recommendations.

My first trip to Phuket, (Patong) was in 1999, the last trip being in 2006. Would go again but not during the xmas/new year period.

We fly out on the 23rd July when the schools break up, the plan is to do BKK, Lopburi, flight down to Krabi, then by road back to BKK with a stop off at Ban Krut.
    Apart from the flight being booked and our first few nights in BKK, we will just go with the flow.
    You can't really do that during the festive season, especially with kids. Phuket, as pointed out is not cheap, accommodation can be steep for what you get at that time of year, so don't leave it to late to get booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    We are thinking of going to Phuket at Christmas/New Year. (Wife, me and daughter-5 and a half by then.) Never been. It looks beautiful, but there are stories about the Mafia controlling taxis and transport. We were thinking of staying at one of the Holiday Inns. But we might stay at another recommendation.

Any advice on the current state of things in Phuket, Christmas/New Year period or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
    We've just got back from Phuket. Karon beach is now busier and busier and full of Eastern Europeans. Phuket old town is good and I would recommend a hotel called 99 boutique guest house old town in Phuket town.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. We are now going at Christmas and New Year. Staying at the Marriott Merlin Beach hotel, supposedly on a special deal arranged by a friend of my sister in law, who is a tour guide. We will only be there 5 or 6 nights, as we will be in Korat the rest of the time.