Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Specific [Thailand] visa inquiry [Which Visa?]

Hi there,

I am after some advice on the best type of visa I should apply for - I am aware that forums like you to search for this information before posting, however, I haven't found any threads that match my situation.

I will be looking to relocate to Thailand in mid June 2017 to be with my fiancee whom I met whilst she was studying her masters here a year ago. I have visited there before but only on the 30 day "when you land" visa.

Before I leave I will complete a TEFL course to hopefully obtain a basic income whilst there.

I would like to stay there for as long as possible - I have an apartment there that I can stay in for free in the on nut area of Bangkok. My question is - which visa should I initially apply for with the intention of seeking employment once arriving - I will be leaving my U.K. job mid June and take roughly £6000 with me. I hold a valid UK passport.

Many thanks for any help,

Chris.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Thailand-UK Chris, I'm glad you've found us. I am unable to help you with Thai visas but no doubt one of our brethren will be here shortly with some helpful advice.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

A multi entry tourist visa ( only available from home country)would be the best and will give you the longest time in Thailand, its valid for 6 months from day of issue and gives unlimited 60 day permission to stay stamps on each entry, if an entry is made just prior to the expiry date of the visa a fresh 60 day stamp will be given, and that (and any) permission to stay stamp can be extended at local immigration offices within Thailand(1,900 baht), giving 9 months or there about's stay in Thailand. by then you hopefully will be on a work permit and associated visa, and that's a whole different story.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thank you so much for this. Just the information I needed .

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Tobias, thank you for your kind welcome. I have a feeling I will be here a lot with our future plans in mind

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver88 View Post
    ... Tobias, thank you for your kind welcome. I have a feeling I will be here a lot with our future plans in mind
    You are very welcome here, we have lots of knowledgeable individuals who have been there, done that - we have a few jokers too! Stay around, it can be fun - even if it does get a little heated at time!
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Word of warning - whilst your there on your tourist visa, by all means look for work but don't try doing any.You may well meet people that will tell you its OK, no-one will know - cash in hand. Get caught and unless you are well connected you'll be kicked out and you won't be visiting Thailand again for a long time.

Just to expand on what Steve advised you - you may or may not know but you will have to leave and re-enter the country after each 60 day stint. When I lived in Bangkok I used to scour the internet for a cheap flight to anywhere to fulfill my leave and enter obligations. Sometimes these flights can work out cheaper than the specific 'visa run' bus tours you will see advertised and a 2 hour flight to Singapore for example, beats the hell out of and 8 hour bus journey. Check out the low cost carriers.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

to follow on from Flip's advice, if you find employment, what ever visa you initially get, will need to be replaced by a suitable visa that also allows a work permit to be issued, so some sort of non immigrant visa, until you are married that would be a non imm 'B' visa,
    but as i said before, work related visa's and work permits are a different ball game, so ask once you have a job lined up, you need two different things to work in Thailand a work permit and a suitable visa/extension.

A multi entry tourist visa will give up to 9 months with extension to look for a job, a single entry with extension will only give you 90 days.