Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default English language lessons revisited

Hi.

I am finding it really difficult getting my wife on an ESOL course and I am now thinking, reluctantly, that we will have to go private.

We went to a local college back in January where she was assessed, (she was gone for less than five minutes), only to find that all classes are full until September.

I spent quite a lot on a five day, one to one, course in Bangkok in March last year, while my wife was waiting for her Settlement visa to come through. It was a total waste of time and money as the course didn't concentrate on her pronunciation which is what I specifically requested.

There are two main problems. Pronunciation. My wife chops the ends off many words. Cold becomes cole. Box becomes bok. etc etc.

She adds words in where they are not needed. eg. Instead of saying "I just saw a dog", she will say, "I just to saw a dog."

She had her original teaching in a Thai hotel and learned the absolute rudiments. The big problem is that the teacher was Thai and couldn’t pronounce English correctly herself. The rest was from TV and also a lot from me. The problem is there are only so many times I can pick her up on her speech before we both get bored doing it.

There is so much to undo and she needs to go back to basics and learn so much of it almost from scratch.

It is very important that she learns from a native English speaker and very useful if they speak Thai to explain things to her better. How likely am I to find a good teacher with those qualities? Is it pie in the sky?

If anybody has any recommendations I would appreciate it. Skype would be ok or close to Heathrow Airport for a teacher so we can visit, or vice versa, would be perfect.

Member สมาชิก

You will find it on here somewhere. She does not have to pay no matter what they say. Wife of a EU Citizan gets free lessons. My wife has just done hers and going again next term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not the problem at all. Finding a suitable course where they have a place is.

Also finding a private tutor that has the ability to teach her how to pronounce words correctly is the main issue.

Member สมาชิก

Search on here ESOL courses and you will see that there is no fee

Why are talking about fees? Did you actually read my post?

Hi rasg

I'm not sure where your wife and you live (you mention proximity to Heathrow?) but there are part-time evening ESOL courses in pronunciation offered at the Wandsworth and Tooting campuses of South Thames College. They run for five evenings from 7pm to 9pm and the fee is £60.
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

,this is a difficult one rasg my wife has been to 3 different locations the local library being the best at the moment she is just finishing her level 3 at the local college which was a complete waste of time it does depend on the tutor.The misses gets her words mixed up all the time but its still understandable maybe after 10 years of interaction will be a hundred times better but her English is certainly better than my thail ,back to post it is the tutor and yourself and freinds who will improve her skills ,the wife has just started working in a thail supermarket in my eyes a step backwards as they communicate in thail ,me thinks owner put sign only english speak shop,ps i would say pie looking for native english speaker who speaks thail im sure most would be to busy making money elsewhere ie translators,or ask at banks police stations customs united utilities as they did phone my wife once asking about a payment she couldnt understand them and asked to get some one who speaks thail 1 hour later phone call from thail speaking united utilities customer service op
    Last edited by Samsung; 16th Jun 2017 at 18:11.

Member สมาชิก

There isn't a fee. Did you read mine. My wife did not pay and she is going again next year and not pay

Member สมาชิก

My mistake. Sorry did not read properly. Hard day and tired. Once again sorry

We went to a local college back in January where she was assessed, (she was gone for less than five minutes), only to find that all classes are full until September.
    The only advise I can offer, especially if the College is local is to go back there and ask if there are regular non-attendees for the courses and if your wife can be slotted in, worth a try because even though it was a few years back, when my wife went the courses were always "fully" booked and then people never turned or have conflicting appointments/holidays back to the country they had claimed asylum from, and so they always had availability after the courses started. You might be able to get a "sympathetic" space by asking if that's the case there too.

Thank you but I've tried that. It's also the end of the term and they wrap up in July and the new courses start in September.

We now have to wait for a letter in August.

It's a pain as I want to get her started now. The teacher is the most important thing when it comes to pronunciation I think.

Her English has improved massively in the last couple of years but the legacy of the Tinglish teacher all that time ago is still very evident.

We do a bit on her vocabulary most days and I try to get her to pronounce things properly but she reverts back quite quickly.

Same sort of principle as teaching your wife to drive I think. ie. Don't do it unless you want a divorce...

None of the Thai teachers I have ever heard speak, speak English that well. I want better for her.

the translators that police , customs use moonlighting as English teachers , but other than that imagin a geordie drunk in a pub having a converstation with you hrmmmm

I would say to all you guys about sending your wives to college,dil is married to my son a british man not classed as european and she paid through the nose for her courses.If your on benefits you dont pay but my son works.
    She must have spent nearly £500 at college when i suggested to her to go to manchester and try b1.
    It cost £125 at the time and she passed no problem,her english was just like your wives but with looking at videos about b1 she had the confidence to go for it.
    Saved us a fortune in the end and i dont think going to college improved her english that much.x

From my wife's experience the ESOL courses are unlikely to help your specific needs as they have a class full of different nationalities at various levels and the classes are only a couple of hours a week.

My wife does exactly what you've described too, it has taken me 3 years for her to learn 'his' instead of 'her', or pronounce mince instead of mint. It takes time, often a very long time, but her best teacher is you or work colleagues where English is their first language. It is boring and frustrating at times but you have to stick to it and be consistent.

One thing I do is either explain the difference, or carry on the conversation using the word my wife pronounced wrong. You said cole instead of cold, I would explain what coal is and how it differs or make a joke out of her being a piece of coal, that way it might stick in the mind easier than just a straight explanation of the correct pronunciation. That worked for me teaching my wife to stop using cool for cold all the time, I'd just laugh if she told me she was cool by saying something like "yeah you're really cool in your slippers" that way she learned it was the wrong word and what cool really meant too.

Unless you can find a 9-5, mon-fri teacher it will take a long time. My daughter has been in primary school for two full terms, she arrived here knowing zero English, she has never had a Thai speaker in school and had additional support from the school. Her English is really good now and she has a local accent..but she still has trouble with past and present tense and mixing up words in a sentence, that's reading, writing and speaking full time for almost three years and they say the younger you are the easier it is to pick up so try to build on what she has rather than undo it.

Very useful information. Thanks.

Premium Member

My wife's currently on an ESOL level 1 course in Sheffield, it cost £220 for the term (12 or 13 weeks) Mondays and Tuesdays for 2 hours 6pm - 8pm. There's about 20 in the class but most days only around 12 turn up and sometimes as little as 8. I think we are the only ones that paid for the course and that's probably why half of them never turn up for class.

The class has its own WhatsApp group where homework sheets and important messages are sent by her teacher, but most messages we receive are from students with headache or upset stomachs, we've started having bets on how many students message in sick on Mondays

Also my wife is the only Thai there and I do believe the teacher and all other students speak Arabic as their first language, this can be frustrating for the wife the teacher spends half the time speaking Arabic to explain some English phrase or something which benefits everyone except my wife.

She'll be finishing this course but I don't think she'll bother with levels 2 and 3, we think she'll be ready for LITUK by the end of this year, hopefully.

sounds like my wifes class at the moment shes doing level 3 but the first 2 levels was done at the local libaray with a diamond of a tutor miss emma the wife loved her and she also says there was a lot of eastern europeans in the group rather then what you are finding and my wife is now middle eastern or north asian she hasnt touched much on the lituk that much but i would say thats a total different animal then esol classes
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad View Post
    My wife's currently on an ESOL level 1 course in Sheffield, it cost £220 for the term (12 or 13 weeks) Mondays and Tuesdays for 2 hours 6pm - 8pm. There's about 20 in the class but most days only around 12 turn up and sometimes as little as 8. I think we are the only ones that paid for the course and that's probably why half of them never turn up for class.

The class has its own WhatsApp group where homework sheets and important messages are sent by her teacher, but most messages we receive are from students with headache or upset stomachs, we've started having bets on how many students message in sick on Mondays

Also my wife is the only Thai there and I do believe the teacher and all other students speak Arabic as their first language, this can be frustrating for the wife the teacher spends half the time speaking Arabic to explain some English phrase or something which benefits everyone except my wife.

She'll be finishing this course but I don't think she'll bother with levels 2 and 3, we think she'll be ready for LITUK by the end of this year, hopefully.