Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Premium Member

Default Help with Similan Islands/Khao Lak

Hi all
    Mrs Kingy has decided we must take a detour next March to the Similan Islands just north west of Phuket.
    My usual haunt in Karon beach seems a long way for a day trip out to the Similan islands (from Patong) so i want to explore moving North to Khao Lak for a couple of days as the trip out to Similan only takes a reportedly 75 mins by speedboat.
    Looking fro recommendations on Hotels/Location/Tour company from fellow members who have been in this area.
    Many thanks
    Kingy

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi Kingy

We spent a few days in Khao lak a few years ago and did the Similan trip, which if I remember correctly was quite expensive. We stayed at a nice resort which I would recommend if I could remember the name, didn't book in advance. I will look to see if I have any cards that I picked up, the wife isn't here at the moment she may remember the name, it was about three km north of town on the main road left side heading north about 800bht upwards we had a room close to the pool 1200 I think, quite nice too.

I said after our trip to Similan I would not go again unless it was overnight as the trip is very rushed, they collect you early and take you to the port where you can get coffee and toast etc. whilst you wait for a boat. Like you say the trip out is a long one leaving a short time to visit two islands and do some snorkeling. The islands were nice but very crowded and the snorkeling was in deep water and I had difficulty seeing the bottom as I wear glasses, the current was horrendous and lots of people were dragged far away from the boat the best part was a turtle that swam with us, but apart from that not great.

I did write a trip report on this at the time so maybe you can still find it.

Regards
    David

Hi Kingy, my Mrs and I went on a Similan Islands tour from Patong a few years ago (5ish), I think we were picked up just before 6am and got home around 7 iirc.

From memory it didn't seem rushed, certainly less rushed than the Phi Phi trip we had previously, and more enjoyable.
    We went during December so the seas would've been calmer but the islands weren't overcrowded, perhaps due to it being early December and close to the kings birthday, or maybe I'm unfairly comparing to Phi Phi which is the most overcrowded trip possible.

I'll look out our brochure and add some more info later. I would add photos but my mac is dead atm.

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies...we've done the Phi Phi and James Bond island trips. Phi Phi just again this August with the rest of my family with us . I could not believe how much more crowded it was compared to 5 years ago. Maybe it was due to a few days calm seas in low season but the amount of Chinese who were also out there was beyond belief.

Funny about Phi Phi Ley we did it again in April this year and it was the least busy Ive seen it in 10 years. I guess there must be busy days and quiet days just depends how lucky you are when you decide to go, same for the Similans too. The hordes of Chinese aren't helping though.
    PS couldn't find anything on the resort I stayed at in Khao Lak can't find it on Agoda or Booking and the missus can't remember the name either, sorry.

Premium Member

Thanks DAS. No worries. I will take a look on Jamies Monks Blog as he has some good recommendations. (This is a good site for Phuket stuff)
    The Boat trip guy was telling us that the Police have been on the Islands and monitored the tourists taking the Coral and feeding the fish and handing out some hefty fines. He did tell us not to feed the fish or take anything from the sea. This still didn't stop the Chinese trying to catch fish in plastic bags until they were soundly yek yek'd by other tourists.
    I looked on the Phuket news website and sure enough 100,000 baht for one guy.
    Regards

They should fine people at Koh Hong a beautiful island but when we went, people were actually encouraged to feed the fish and the National Park kiosk sells bread to do so. When I was snorkeling I wondered why the fish were following me and not the other way around.

IMG_0891.jpg I found the brochure, I would do this trip again if I ever go back to Phuket.

Just realised it's upside down, I'm doing this on my phone and can't see an easy way to change it sorry

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

IMG_0889.jpgStill not straight but slightly better This is the tour company's details, if you want more info on the tours (times etc) let me know

Premium Member

Thanks Scot
    Appreciate you posting this for us.
    Kingy