Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Smoking To Be Banned On Thai Beaches

From next month it will be Jail Time or 100,000 Baht fine
    Banned
    Have I Mentioned That I VOTED OUT

Crazy! I don't think smokers help themselves much the way they chuck their dogends away but 100,000 baht sounds a bit over the top to me.

Thank goodness I can vape. Oops! That is illegal in Thailand!

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    From next month it will be Jail Time or 100,000 Baht fine
    Banned
    Can't see that happening. If it does, then that's good news.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Bangkok & Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Can't see that happening. If it does, then that's good news.

Why is that good news? I could understand it if all the rest of the areas were tidy but a lot of beaches arent

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    Why is that good news? I could understand it if all the rest of the areas were tidy but a lot of beaches arent
    Do you honestly think that will happen? How many people in Thailand smokes? Millions of people. If it happens then it good for the people who can't stand the smell and the horrible smell that drives the smoke on to their clothes and into their hair

I doubt it will happen. 100,000 baht for smoking! You can probably do some real damage in Thailand for 100 times worse.

Best get saving TabHeeds .....
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Bangkok & Iraq

If it happens then it good for the people who can't stand the smell and the horrible smell that drives the smoke on to their clothes and into their hair

Well, just as the people who smoke have the choice to smoke or not, you have the choice to sit next to them or move somewhere else if you dont like it or the smell, and no I dont smoke, I used to, because I had a choice!

In Hua Hin, they are talking of a fine of 2000 baht, but expect warnings will be issued first. It applies to the beach from the Hilton basically down to Kao Tao. There will be designated smoking areas. It will be enforced by the tourist police from 1 November.

80% of tourists to Hua Hin are Thai. Let's see if this applies to them?

Plus, what about all the other rubbish - horse s!#t, from vendors selling food, from families who bring everything with them and leave it all behind and so on? Plastic is a far bigger problem.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    In Hua Hin, they are talking of a fine of 2000 baht, but expect warnings will be issued first. It applies to the beach from the Hilton basically down to Kao Tao. There will be designated smoking areas. It will be enforced by the tourist police from 1 November.

80% of tourists to Hua Hin are Thai. Let's see if this applies to them?

Plus, what about all the other rubbish - horse s!#t, from vendors selling food, from families who bring everything with them and leave it all behind and so on? Plastic is a far bigger problem.
    Well Thailand is still a third world country. And it's trying to modern it self. Since let's see what happens

Well Thailand is still a third world country.
    Not by anyone's standards. It is a developing and industrialised economy.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    The country is getting better and better. Plus it's trying very hard to modernised it's country.

RSS Feed Thailand bans smoking on popular tourist beaches

The measure aims to tackle the issue of thousands of discarded cigarette butts at popular resorts.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

I got it wrong! It's the area from the front of the Centara, not the Hilton, that is the start of the designated area. Which means the busiest part of the whole beach, in front of the Hilton, aka umbrella city, is not affected. I'm sure there's some reasoning behind that, but I can't see it?

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    Politically and institutionally, along with the direction being take by the junta, I would say Thailand is still a 3rd World Country.

The country is getting better and better. Plus it's trying very hard to modernised it's country.
    On the contrary, The General has openly stated that to maintain whatever he perceives as 'Thainess', he will take Thailand back to where Burma is slowly emerging from, if need be.

He's doing that quite nice nicely, cronyism, political arrests, censorship, a corrupt judiciary and so on are now the norm.

Any development will surely be hindered by this state of affairs and is likely to cause civil unrest at some stage.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I got it wrong! It's the area from the front of the Centara, not the Hilton, that is the start of the designated area. Which means the busiest part of the whole beach, in front of the Hilton, aka umbrella city, is not affected. I'm sure there's some reasoning behind that, but I can't see it?

Politically and institutionally, along with the direction being take by the junta, I would say Thailand is still a 3rd World Country.

On the contrary, The General has openly stated that to maintain whatever he perceives as 'Thainess', he will take Thailand back to where Burma is slowly emerging from, if need be.

He's doing that quite nice nicely, cronyism, political arrests, censorship, a corrupt judiciary and so on are now the norm.
    Who's he."Taskin"

Who's he."Taskin"

Of course not. But the General claimed he would get rid of all of that. It's accelerating.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    Well, just as the people who smoke have the choice to smoke or not, you have the choice to sit next to them or move somewhere else if you dont like it or the smell, and no I dont smoke, I used to, because I had a choice!
    When people arrive and sit by you in the middle of a meal and light up you often don't have the choice to move and have to put up with the sometimes awful smell. So a ban on something which by its very nature cannot be contained in the persons body is welcome even setting aside the fact that third party smoke has been proven to damage other peoples
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Come on, we smokers have rights too you know! I remember my ex's mother waving her arms about and gesturing for me to go away whilst I was having a smoke next to her hideously smokey thai cooker/bbq/large plantpot like thing they cook on. Believe it or not, smokers like clean air too - I'm glad that smoking is banned in restaurants etc. but I think some people complain for the sake of it. Quite why my cig smoke was any worse than my ex MIL's cooker is beyond me.

This is about smoking outside, well actually its the usual load of crap - the same as the 'cigarette police' in Sukhumvit, Bangkok - who try to take thousands of baht from people who throw cigarette butts on the ground, whilst just metres away, piles of rubbish lay rotting and heaving with rats and other pests and general litter is strewn all around. Naa, this is just another money making scheme.

I respect your rights to not smoke, please respect my right to smoke - if you're going to start banning smoking outside you're going to face a real fight. I for one am sick of the anti smoking league trying to impose their will on me. I like smoking, I've been smoking for nearly 50 years and I ain't dead yet and I have no intention of stopping. Get on with your lives and pick on something else - sick of hearing this crap. You breath in far more dangerous stuff just walking about cities - especially Bangkok and I don't see them doing anything about that this century.

And Ash, that claim that third party smoke is harmful has been challenged by equally compelling evidence that its not hamful.

Oh, and before someone jumps down my throat - the cancer I have (hopefully had) has nothing to do with smoking.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    And Ash, that claim that third party smoke is harmful has been challenged by equally compelling evidence that its not hamful.
    Not so sure the late Roy Castle would be with you on that one.

Anyway don't wish to be drawn into a pointless discussion when i think the medical evidence is overwhelming, so I'll be on my way

If you enjoy it do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Come on, we smokers have rights too you know!

Oh, and before someone jumps down my throat - the cancer I have (hopefully had) has nothing to do with smoking.
    I was a smoker and I hated the smell then and I hate it even more now. Even outside with the wind in the wrong direction in the "fresh air" it is horrible. When I was smoking cigarettes and the ban came in I thought it was totally over the top as other options were available. A smoking room with a couple of good extractors in a pub or restaurant would have made a sensible alternative and maybe the number of pubs would not have disappeared over the years. I have one at home with hepa filters and a deioniser. It meant that even after smoking, a non smoking, asthmatic friend couldn’t smell cigarette smoke at all.

I watched a documentary about Phil Taylor a few months ago and the early footage of his career just showed as a pea souper fog due to cigarette smoke. It was hard to see the dart board it was so bad. The idea that secondhand cigarette smoke isn't harmful would be laughable if it hadn't killed so many people.

Smoking is the one thing you can do to your body that affects every part of it. If you inject one small drop of nicotine into your veins it will kill you very quickly. It is one of the most powerful nerve poisons of them all.

It can affect every part of your body. Over 700 different poisons in a cigarette from the burning paper to the burning tobacco. If you don't get mouth or lung cancer, there's always heart disease or a stroke to think about.

I agree. Smokers do have rights but they shouldn't be allowed to inflict, what is a stinking habit, on non smokers.