Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I don't see why the card should specifically state "Family", what is a spouse if not a family member?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Flip will you tell Easyjet or should I.
    Melnathan

Easyjet have always had stupid staff we were returning to Switzerland a few years ago having had a vacation in the UK. My wife was almost denied boarding as she did not have a Swiss visa despite holding a Swiss residence permit and despite having arrived from Switzerland on a previous easyjet flight. Took an hour for them to accept we were returning home and allow us on the flight.

Dotting i s crossing T s is a good policy
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    Flip will you tell Easyjet or should I.
    Melnathan
    Hmmmm yes, agreed. Airlines can be more awkward than the actual authorities because they get fined for letting people on board that don't have the correct documents.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I don't see why the card should specifically state "Family", what is a spouse if not a family member?
    Most EU/EEA memberstates do not grand freedom of movement rights to the foreign family member of their own nationals as per Directive 2004/38. They could if they wish but they are not keen on letting the spouse travel visa free around the EU. But for those who do the SS/ EU route the memberstates have to issue rights as per Directive 2004/38 as it's EU law.

Or to put it simply:
    1) a Briton in the UK with a Thai spouse: they get a regular residence permit under UK immigration law. This permit does NOT allow visa free travel around the EU. But they do have the right of a free visa issued ASAP with minimum requirements and if necessary it can be obtained at the border though it's best to get the visa in advance.
    2) A Dutch person in the Netherlands with a Thai spouse: same as #1.
    3) a Dutchman living outside NL in an other EU/EEA country: they are covered by directive 2004/38 and get the special residencecard that says 'familymember of an EU/EEA" national. Allowing for visa free travel around the EU/EEA.
    4) a Briton living in the Netherlands with Thai spouse: see #3
    5) a Briton having returned from NL after having lived with the Thai spouse there. The completed the SS route. See #3

If your residencecard does not explicitly say EU/EEA family member (as the European and various embassy visa pages clearly emphasize on aswell) : no visa free travel. Just a free visa with minimal requirements, which is best obtained in advance.

Edit: As far as I know, Belgium is one of the few or perhaps the only EU member that gives the 'family member of an EU/EEA national" by default, even to Belgians who always lived in B and who's foreign partner immigrated to Belgium. Lucky them, traveling visa free.. but for most of us, no such luck. The EU allows discrimination against the citizens of their own state and most gladly do so. At the time this was all cooked up, getting your partner to your own country was a simple formality. And these EU rights were meant to give Europeans moving to an other memberstate atleast some protection and not too much hassle with immigration of a non EU family member. But at some point most members got immigration and vida rules more strict than directive 2004/38 and thus the SS route and unequal treatment/discrimination of EU citizens in their own country with a non EU partner came to be...
    Last edited by Donutz; 6th Dec 2017 at 20:37.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

ok still none the wiser .rasg did you get to france if so how did it go on .can i take the misses spain with her FLM (m) visa and brp card