Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Dual National...But need to use Thai passport to work.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to exit UK with my British passport and enter Thailand with my Thai passport. I want to relocate to Thailand for a few months but I don't want to border hop each month or the need to apply for a work permit by using my British passport.

If anyone could explain the process to me it be much appreciated.

Thanks.

It's very easy.

You exit the UK with either passport and enter Thailand with your Thai passport.

If you return to the UK, exit Thailand with your Thai passport. You can also show your UK passport if you do not have a UK visa in your Thai passport.

ps welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by manfarang; 1st Dec 2017 at 21:35.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Rookie มือใหม่

Thank you for your reply. I have considered this but I am worried about the visa side of things because the British passport gets stamped entering Thailand and you have to fill in the departure card.

Let's say I use my Thai passport to enter Thailand then I use my British passport to return to the UK what will happen at passport control, they usually ask me questions like where I had been for all these years and there is no visa stamped in my passport would that raise some suspicions?

Also if I exit Thailand at passport control they will ask me the same thing. They would ask where I am going. Look through my passport and see that there is no visa stamp for the UK.

At the end is there any benefit of two passports? Passport control often they will flip through the pages of the passport looking at the entry/exit stamps and visas showing where you have been in case that reveals any contradiction to their laws.

Member สมาชิก

You are a citizen of both countries therefore you cannot be under any immigration restrictions when you are in either country i.e. should not be issued any visa.

I went to Thailand on holiday last year with my wife and daughter.
    My wife only has a Thai passport and when she entered Thailand she has no entry stamp as she used the e-passport gate. Her Thai passport was stamped on exiting the country by Thai immigration.

My daughter holds both UK and Thai passports.
    I think we showed her UK passport at Heathrow to obviously show she is UK citizen and not under any visa restrictions.
    Upon arrival in Thailand her Thai passport was shown to Thai immigration officials who stamped it with the date she entered the country with no stay restrictions (i.e. for my UK passport it has my arrival date and then stamped also with when I need to leave by).
    When she left the country the passport was stamped with the exit date.

On entry to Thailand use your Thai passport. Do not show UK passport.
    You will get an entree / exit card stapled in to your Thai passport.

On leaving Thailand you must use your Thai passport. The entree/exit card will be removed from your Thai passport.

If you do not have a UK visa in your Thai passport you will also need to show your UK passport when leaving Thailand. My wife has been doing this for around 13 years, ever since she has become a UK citizen. Her Thai passport by now has no UK visa in it.

If you are still concerned maybe you could give brief details of yourself and how you have 2 passports.

My boys have dual nationality but I don't bother with Thai passports for them any more. Just an extra hassle getting them renewed and they don't stay in Thailand more than 30 days now they are school age.

The advantage of a Thai passport is that you can stay and work as long as you like there. Disadvantage maybe requirement for national service, although I think this is more likely if you are registered on a house book some where in Thailand.
    Last edited by manfarang; 2nd Dec 2017 at 19:43.
    aka Spud / aka MF

UK Airline Check-In - British Passport
    UK Passport Control - British Passport
    Thai Passport Control - Thai Passport

Thai Airline Check-In - British Passport
    UK Passport Control - British Passport
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    UK Airline Check-In - British Passport
    If staying longer than 30 days in Thailand, present both passports at UK check-in to prove eligibility to enter Thailand without a visa.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Well my wife would fail here if she does not also show her UK passport.

The original UK visas are long gone with her old Thai passport.
    She could carry her old Thai passport with the visas in but why bother with that when she has a valid UK passport?
    aka Spud / aka MF

Rookie มือใหม่

So your wife shows her UK and Thai Passport at Thai Passport control?

Yes, when leaving Thailand.
    aka Spud / aka MF