Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

I think you need to look for little victories in a long war, your never going to change the Thai mentality but you can occasionally take pleasure in throwing sand in the Vaseline. your a farang so they already think your argumentative and cantankerous and uneducated in the ways of Thainess so hey go with the flow. I have a Canadian friend who has already made the move a few years back and when I was over in August he spent a lot of time complaining about the way Thais do stuff as opposed to how its done in the west. He took me to show me an example of Thai workmanship at his brother in laws new house, now the house itself was perfect , the brother in law had seen to that everything even electrics as it should be so it can be done. However he had built this on a bit of family land outside the village and wanted the "road" outside the house concreted by the local council which they did, however they left the 20 feet between where the road out the village ended and his new house began un-concreted, they literally just put a concrete road exactly outside his house and didn't connect it to the actual road 20 feet away. He was also complaining about the amount of dead cables on the power lines and the coiling of power cables because they are to lazy to cut the cable and make a proper connection, though that could be easily rectified if they realised how much scrap copper was just sat there. The different pricing for farangs although annoying actually amuses me on a small level could you imagine doing that in the UK and the outcry if you started charging ethnic minorities more for stuff. If there is something I want in a small shop or market I normally just send the wife then I don't get farang taxed. When I eventually make the move I plan on spending 3-4 months a year back in the UK just to get a bit of sanity, I'm lucky in the fact that my wife has been at the school she works at nearly 25 years now and almost everyone knows her in the local area so when we needed an air con re gas she phoned up one of her ex pupils who has an aircon company, he sent his guys out within 3 hours and when I got my wallet out to pay it was politely declined as no charge. I Think don't dwell on what it should be just accept it for what it is, enjoy the hot sunny days and relax.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I accept that things are different in Thailand but there is no way I'll ever accept no earth cable or any other sub standard work. Nor will I accept what I've just had to ❇❇❇❇❇❇❇ my builders about today. I bought a complete set of lintels for each window and door opening before I left. Yesterday's photos showed a 1.8 meter opening with no lintel in place - we'd had this discussion several times and their latest trick is to cover their sins with render in the hope I won't notice. As soon as the doors and windows are in, I'm calling a halt to the job. It will have to wait until my next trip - I'm not frying my brain anymore. I tell them how I want something doing, they agree and then go away and do it differently.

There may well be some reliable, professional Thai tradesmen around but I've yet to come across any.

My car wanted a new lower ball joint last year, firstly told they are not available, have to go to Chevrolet and buy a complete suspension arm because the joint is rivetted in. I bought a joint in the UK and next trip I took it to a local garage to get it fitted as I have few tools in Thailand. I ended up showing them how to remove the rivetts and replace them with the bolts supplied - this was a fair sized, main road garage.

I think very few people are actually trained in their particular job, or if they are the training isn't up to much. Same old same old.......lack of education.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post

Though online personas may be different from real-life ones, I think you wouldn't like it. You seem to like a grumble, a heated debate without repercussions, things done a certain way. Those are all Thai-incompatible. They like mindless happy thoughts, not debate. They'll pretend to agree with you to avoid a straight argument and then they'll not do it your way, ever. Then when you blow up they'll get together in a group to agree how you're the unreasonable one. Etc, etc, forever. That's Thailand.

The only thing you may get over there that you don't get here is respect simply for being older. Though I'm not even sure about that. You're a farang. I note I don't get called 'Pii' by younger Thais as much as other Thais my age would be.
    You better mark the calendar LWTG I don't often agree with you, however in this case I do. Having lived here for 4 years and 1 on my own since Nat passed away it is not easy here. It is hard work. Some days can be a grind from the moment you speak to a Thai person. I have to say though it has taught me to be calm and patient. You will never be in the right as the fall back situation is, it is your fault you are a foreigner and if YOU were not here the situation would not have occurred. As an example I ordered a meal at a restaurant I go to 3 or 4 times a week with my visiting brother, his meal arrived and mine didn't eventually a waitress noticed and checked, my order had not been put through. Sure they offered to do it but my brother had finished, so I declined. Now, when I go back the waitress that failed to put the order through ignores me, I have to ask to be served, I never get approached for a drink, dessert, tea or coffee. Rather than trying to show it was a lapse which can happen I am treated collectively by the staff as if it is my fault they screwed up.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I should have added this to my post. On the way home had a quick meal from 7/11 noticed on their carrier bags they have gone green???? The bag says "Save the planet, reduce reuse recycle" and we got two of them full of plastic containers with plastic forks and spoons, drinks with plastic straws wrapped individually in plastic. I gave them back the straws half the plastic cutlery and one carrier bag but still had enough plastic waste for a large family. Fortunately I reuse some of the plastic containers and a lot of the bags for for bins, but this shop is the worst I know for being green, unless of course you know another.

Tesco Lotus - every different type of product in a different bag.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Thought retirement was meant to be relaxing, this is an eye opening thread.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Tesco Lotus - every different type of product in a different bag.

Oh, the stuff I don't miss...

Are they doing Chip and Pin properly yet?

When I was living there, a few places had it but they'd make you sign as well even if you'd just entered the PIN.

For the places that just used signatures they'd make you sign but the cashier would never, ever, check the signature.

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Thought retirement was meant to be relaxing, this is an eye opening thread.
    Retiring is something you need to work at.

Fix the garden - paint the paintwork, then what? What anyone would do in retirement in the middle of the boonies, I've no idea.

Still :-

"I could be handy mending a fuse
    When your lights have gone.
    You can knit a sweater by the fireside,
    Sunday mornings, go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
    Who could ask for more?
    Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
    When I'm sixty four?"

aka Spud / aka MF

Well, I'm nowhere near 64 and I don't plan a retirement of gardening and painting. Providing my health allows it, I see it as the beginning of a new life and I intend to keep busy, very busy.

Don't agree Flip, Tesco has a long way to go to generate that amount of plastic waste. My local store like to pack everything together, while I don't mind it with some things I do object to raw meat being put in with fruit and veggies especially if they are not to be cooked.
    Also have you ever read the promise on the back of the receipt something on the lines of if you are not totally satisfied with our product bring it back and we will exchange it, good luck with that one. I once took back some clothes for my daughter that run badly and fell into holes on a cool hand wash prior to them being worn and yes we had the receipt, it was our fault for washing them wrong.

hi flip go for it make it your life be positive ,make things happen wake up every day looking forward to what you can do ,its in the mind ,all in the mind ,but enjoy it ,plus corruption it goes on everywhere just not blatant as thailand ,tony blair,westland affairs ,£50 to change a light bulb in a MP house claimed back enjoy it pal make the most of it and think positive good luck

I'm trying Samsung, I've had more hurdles thrown at me in my life than a grand national winner and at some of those hurdles, I've fallen but somehow I've managed to get up, dust my self off and get back in the saddle. However, the hurdle I face now is somewhat higher than those I've faced before and I think that ultimately, it may prove too high to jump - still, who says I can't have a few goes at it?.