Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default How long can a british citizen be out of uk before there benifits are affected

Hello All

does anyone know how long you can be out of UK before your benefits are affected?
    Ive read 13 weeks?
    I'm a Disabled British citizen, some UK people Ive spoken to here in Thailand have been here a lot longer they are in the same boat as me
    can any one answer please
    Peter

Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

If you are on Pension Credit it is only one month I believe.( George Osborne Nov 2015 budget I think)
    Can I apply for Pension
    Credit if I have come from abroad?
    When you apply, you must be living in Great Britain. You must not be ‘subject to
    immigration control’; this means that there must be no restrictions which would
    stop you receiving financial help from the State. You will also need to satisfy the
    Habitual Residence Test. There are some exceptions to these rules.
    If there’s anything you’re not sure about, please ask us.
    Can I go abroad and keep getting Pension Credit?
    We may
    pay Pension Credit for up to
    4 weeks while you’re temporarily abroad
    and
    we may pay for up to 8 weeks if the absence is in connection with a death. If the
    absence is solely in connection with
    medical treatment or medically approved
    convalescence, we
    may pay Pension Credit
    for up to 26
    weeks .
    But you should tell us if you go abroad for any reason at all. This includes if you go
    to Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Island
    Last edited by tudorowen1; 28th Jan 2018 at 17:59.

Member สมาชิก

I was told by up to date rulings its 12 weeks, 2018 rules

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

That's a really unfair regulation. People on a normal state pension are not subjected to the same rules - why should someone on pension credit be treated differently? Your retired for god's sake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    That's a really unfair regulation. People on a normal state pension are not subjected to the same rules - why should someone on pension credit be treated differently? Your retired for god's sake!!!
    Because to qualify for a state pension you have paid into the system for x years. Pension credit is a benefit that tops up your pension, subject to qualifying rules. They simply will not pay a non-contributory state benefit to people who choose to live abroad. I can easily visualise how this will be abused.
    'Tis me

Quite right – why should someone on minimum wage subsidise the life style of someone who chooses to live abroad.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Well if the government decides a British citizen/ pensioner needs x amount pounds to live you should get that.

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Because to qualify for a state pension you have paid into the system for x years. Pension credit is a benefit that tops up your pension, subject to qualifying rules. They simply will not pay a non-contributory state benefit to people who choose to live abroad. I can easily visualise how this will be abused.
    There are literally hundreds of reasons why a person would receive pension credit. I'd guess that the majority of people who receive pension credit are from the poorer sections of society who may possibly have done casual work for large portions of their life and who's NI contributions may not be sufficient to give them a full pension. Others may be unmarried partners who have been 'housewifes' or 'househusbands'. In such cases they will not have claimed benefits throughout their lives but find they are penalised for not being married when they retire.

What difference does it make to the government? If someone on pension credit doesn't move abroad, they get the credit so its going to cost the government anyway. A friend of mine is about to retire and has been told he won't get anything like a full pension but will receive top ups under the pension credit scheme. His daughter lives in France and he planned to go to live with her to spend time with his grandkids. I haven't discussed this with him yet but I wonder if he's aware of this. In his case, if he's prevented from living with his daughter because of this regulation it will actually cost the country money. He got into difficulties around 10 years ago when his wife died and he could no longer pay the mortgage on one wage. He therefore sold the house and now lives in rented accommodation. So along with the pension credit, he will be entitled to housing benefit - something he clearly wouldn't be claiming if he lived with his daughter in France.

I would also take a guess that a good proportion of those who will be caught by this regulation will be in similar circumstances so instead of saving money by not paying benefits to those awful poor people who want to go live with family abroad - the UK will pay them even more money to stay here.

This is just another example of policies that impact on the poor far more than they do on the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    This is just another example of policies that impact on the poor far more than they do on the rich.
    Erm, well, yes. As the rich and anyone with a private pension will be very unlikely to ever claim for a pension credit.

Flip, there is no point arguing the rights or wrongs of this. PC is a means tested benefit and the Government has decided it is only available for those living in the UK, to assist in meeting living needs only whilst in the UK.

I haven't read if any future Corbyn Govt. (getting unlikelier by the minute) has proposed to overturn this rule? But generally such rules are not overturned.
    'Tis me

Actually, I can't find any reference to Pension Credit in the link Paul provided above.