Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  87
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

My house is all 'upstairs'. The basic frame is identical to a 2 storey but only the upstairs has been walled. It would be very easy to make it into a full 2 storey - just fill the walls in between the concrete frame. That was my original plan when I began thinking about the alterations but when I became single again, I decided I didn't need such a huge place. So I've just upgraded what was there and moved the staircase. I've dropped 2 windows on the south gable to form French Doors and take advantage of the views in the photo above. Double skinned the walls and insulated the resulting cavity, changed all doors and windows to double glazed uPVC units with low E glass and a new kitchen is waiting to be installed. All in all I think its going to be a lovely place to live and I'm hopefull that the changes to the walls and windows will keep it cooler and prevent me from hearing the damned village dogs at night .

You may want to consider raising those columns Wayne, the resulting space under the house is very useful - I have a downstairs toilet/shower, a utility room and shortly there will be a wokshop/bike store under the house. Plus I can park underneath .
    Last edited by Flip; 9th Apr 2018 at 18:40.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Bangkok & Iraq

Yes we are thinking about doing it higher, but I would need just over 2m to put my vehicle under it lol. I hear you about the dogs, thats why we are about 1 k outside of the main village.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    but I would need just over 2m to put my vehicle under it lol
    Mine is virtually 3m but there is an added advantage. Although I have decided to leave it the way it is, the option is always there to convert it to a full 2 storey house - without much expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    My house is all 'upstairs'. The basic frame is identical to a 2 storey but only the upstairs has been walled. It would be very easy to make it into a full 2 storey - just fill the walls in between the concrete frame. That was my original plan when I began thinking about the alterations but when I became single again, I decided I didn't need such a huge place. So I've just upgraded what was there and moved the staircase. I've dropped 2 windows on the south gable to form French Doors and take advantage of the views in the photo above. Double skinned the walls and insulated the resulting cavity, changed all doors and windows to double glazed uPVC units with low E glass and a new kitchen is waiting to be installed. All in all I think its going to be a lovely place to live and I'm hopefull that the changes to the walls and windows will keep it cooler and prevent me from hearing the damned village dogs at night .

You may want to consider raising those columns Wayne, the resulting space under the house is very useful - I have a downstairs toilet/shower, a utility room and shortly there will be a wokshop/bike store under the house. Plus I can park underneath .
    Thai people don't seem to be affected by noise issues Flip, or does it come out in ways that aren't obvious to a Westerner?
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Thai people don't seem to be affected by noise issues Flip, or does it come out in ways that aren't obvious to a Westerner?
    Very true and its one thing I'll never understand. Believe me, when a pack of 15 dogs start barking at 2am in a peaceful, countryside location, you hear it! For some reason, right outside my house is where they choose to meet up and its even worse when there's a bitch in heat around, then the barking changes to howling. Yet nobody does anything or seems to wake up. Once they shut up, the chickens start - well before dawn! Still, I guess if you're born into it, you probably don't notice it. I can't do anything about it and letting your dogs roam free is the Thai way - and as much as it bugs me its not really for me to complain, its not my country.

I live in the countryside in the UK and its silent at night, you really can hear pins dropping so that's what I'm used to. The situation is also made worse because of my illness which sees me up for the loo 5 or 6 times every night so I guess I never get into a deep sleep.

The average Thai house has single glazed windows and 4 inch thick hollow block single walls that stop very little noise. Hopefully the insulated double walls and new windows I've installed will stop most of the noise and keep the place cooler. Even though the work is not finished, I have noticed that the house is cooler already. Being where I am its often cooler than other areas of Thailand at night and I simply use the ceiling fans but in March/April its unbearable without aircon. I think the changes I've made will reduce aircon use even further.

The final reason for the noise insulation is that the new toll version of Highway 2 is passing within 500m of my house. When I first learned of this the village headman was adamant that it was all going to be elevated. Noise from an elevated road travels further as there's little to soak it up. Part of the route follows the original road precisely so needs to be elevated but the section close to my house is well away from the original and I wasn't convinced it would be elevated - the cost is clearly much higher. Anyway, it now appears I was right, there are no signs of any concrete stanchions being built - simply a bulldozed route so I'm pretty sure the road is staying at ground level and I'll hardly hear it. I think the trucks will continue to use the old road, I can't see them paying tolls.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I had a pack living behind my house in Chonburi. They literally reduced my sleep to a maximum of 5 hours per night, if I was lucky. I'm a dog lover and always have been but I can see why these dogs mysteriously disappear occasionally.

Getting ready for the one year celebration/party and lying up of the bones of my partners uncle

IMG_2546 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2547 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2549 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2567 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

At the Temple for the laying up of the bones

IMG_2580 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2576 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2577 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2578 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Photos from my partner

Some Songkran Photos from this year at the village, courtesy of Ohm

IMG_2596 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2595 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2597 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2598 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_2599 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Excellent pictures, I flew back to Issan (Buriram) the other day, missed Songkran as I was holed up in my pad in BKK, I have airport driving duties in 5 hours (Buriram Airport) some of the in - laws are off on holiday to Korea.
    I ve also been informed I have Index Living Mall / HomePro (Surin) duties to which I would rather stick pins in my eyes, but I should be getting treated to some nice food.
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Excellent pictures, I flew back to Issan (Buriram) the other day, missed Songkran as I was holed up in my pad in BKK, I have airport driving duties in 5 hours (Buriram Airport) some of the in - laws are off on holiday to Korea.
    I ve also been informed I have Index Living Mall / HomePro (Surin) duties to which I would rather stick pins in my eyes, but I should be getting treated to some nice food.
    I was and still am at work so I missed it too. I will be spending a lot of time in those places soon while getting some ideas for my house.

21APR18 Buriram 001.jpg21APR18 Buriram 002.jpg
    King Rama I Monument, Buriram City 21APR18.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

I love the way of life in Isaan, despite some of the frustrations you face. I find the people and culture completely alien to that of BKK and the surrounding parts.

I spent a few weeks in Roiet and Kalasin recently and could have settled down for many more months if I didn't have to work.

Great pictures BTW.

IMG_8668.jpg
    Chi River @ Buriram/Surin Border
    IMG_8679.jpg
    Straw Figures, Ban Nong No Tai, Na Dun, Maha Sarakham.
    IMG_8682.jpg
    Elephant Sanctuary, Wapi Pathum District, Maha Sarakham.
    MSara 1May18 c.jpg
    Chang Thongkhum Cafe, can get coffee where the coffee beans have gone through Elephants digestive system. Wapi Pathum District, Maha Sarakham.
    May Day 2018.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bangkok mags

BUFC c.jpgBUFC f.jpgBUFC d.jpg

Buriram United 4-0 Muangthong United - 4MAY18: Chang Arena
    Buriram City.
    bangkok mags

You must be a glutton for football Sisaket - it must have been in the high 30's no?

Was roasting today , but the game kicked off at 7pm so it was OK, we were in the cheap seats with no cover lucky the thunderstorms held off...had showers on the way over from Surin Province this afternoon...
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

I used to watch a few Thai football matches and the heat destroyed me. Give me a pie and a Bovril, freezing cold toes at Rochdale any day!

I used to work in Mahasarakham. Sadly the pay is woeful but the people were by far the nicest I've met in Thailand.

IMG_8701.jpg
    Chinese City Pillar Shrine, Buriram City
    IMG_8703.jpg
    Buriram City Pillar Shrine (Khmer Style)
    IMG_8698.jpg
    Big Buddha, Khao Kradong Forest Park, Buriram Province
    IMG_8711.jpg
    Shrine, Uthumphon Phisai, Si Sa Ket Province
    IMG_8718.jpg
    Prasat Sikhoraphum Khmer Temple, Sikhoraphum, Surin Province
    IMG_8729.jpg
    Wat Si Han Charoen, Ra Ngang, Surin Province
    Photos: MAY 2018.
    bangkok mags