Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Settlement Visa Process - Latest Requirements

Hi

I have been a regular participant on this Forum but this is my first post.

In February I married my Thai G/F after 4 years together and we are now looking to apply for a Settlement Visa for her to join me in the UK. We have already obtained 3 Tourist Visas and I have spent several days reading various posts on the Settlement Application Process. As other Forum Members have commented it is confusing! I am also aware of the fairly recent changes to the submission of Supporting Documents.

My wife will be undertaking A1 English Test and TB Test in the next 2 weeks. When the Test Results are known I will then complete the Application Form for her to print and sign ready for submission at VFS Global.

We then need to make an appointment at VFS Global for submission of Completed Application and for the BRP information to be collected. Am I correct in thinking she will can also submit her A1 Test Certificate and TB Test Certificate and any other necessary documents at this time?

She will then be given a GWF Reference No which I can then use when submitting my Supporting Documents, which I need to send direct by post to Sheffield, within 20 working days.

It would be really helpful if someone can confirm that I have the right understanding of the process or please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steviewander View Post
    In February I married my Thai G/F after 4 years together and we are now looking to apply for a Settlement Visa for her to join me in the UK. We have already obtained 3 Tourist Visas and I have spent several days reading various posts on the Settlement Application Process. As other Forum Members have commented it is confusing! I am also aware of the fairly recent changes to the submission of Supporting Documents.

My wife will be undertaking A1 English Test and TB Test in the next 2 weeks. When the Test Results are known I will then complete the Application Form for her to print and sign ready for submission at VFS Global.

We then need to make an appointment at VFS Global for submission of Completed Application and for the BRP information to be collected. Am I correct in thinking she will can also submit her A1 Test Certificate and TB Test Certificate and any other necessary documents at this time?

She will then be given a GWF Reference No which I can then use when submitting my Supporting Documents, which I need to send direct by post to Sheffield, within 20 working days.
    How good is your GF's English? If possible go for the B1 test which will carry her all the way through to ILR. My wife did A1 before her Settlement Visa and the Government changed the rules and she now needs A2 for her next FLR next April. Not cheap at £150 a pop.

If you haven’t already, book an early appointment at IOM for the TB test. Occasionally a second Xray is required and they close early. Your GF has to go to the IOM building first, then she goes off to the hospital and then back again to IOM. IOM closes quite early unless things have changed.

Things have definitely changed since my wife got her Settlement Visa and I'll let others fill in the rest.

Rookie มือใหม่

rasg Thanks for your comments

Very hard to assess how good her English Speaking and Listening is so I booked for A1 as I really have no idea as to how she will perform on the day. I think her English is quite good but I am used to her vocabulary. The TB Test is booked for 9.00am and I hope she can complete everything required on the day.

As you say things have changed a lot since our last Tourist Visa Application July 2017.

We applied in January. My wife had to post all her supporting evidence to me in the UK including her TB certificate and her A1 certificate. They were only interested in doing the biometrics and taking her passport. I received it by post 5 days later, put it together with mine in a folder and posted to Sheffield. It was all returned to me in loose form in the jiffy bag i provided, within 10 days. I've heard nothing since, but judging by what i'm reading on here, it could take the full 90 days to get an answer. Best of luck...

Very hard to assess how good her English Speaking and Listening is so I booked for A1 as I really have no idea as to how she will perform on the day. I think her English is quite good but I am used to her vocabulary. The TB Test is booked for 9.00am and I hope she can complete everything required on the day.

As you say things have changed a lot since our last Tourist Visa Application July 2017.
    9.00 am for the TB test should be fine. My wife was sent to the Christian hospital about 400 metres from the IOM building. My wife went to VFS for her Settlement visa in February 2016 and they made the decision for her visa in Thailand in 15 days. It's now a lot different and takes a lot longer.

Just letting you know about the language test as it saves £150 a pop if she can go for a more difficult test. My wife now needs A2 for her second FLR next year because of the rule change and later this year I hope she can pass B1 to finish it. Then we have to hope they don't change the rules again but I wouldn't put it past them...

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    Then we have to hope they don't change the rules again but I wouldn't put it past them...
    On the basis of the changes implemented over the last few years, its just about guaranteed there will be more.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks for the responses and I am now clear about the process I must follow.

I have read a lot of guidance on the Forum about the Evidence and Supporting Documents I will need to provide. Can anyone please clarify if it will be necessary to provide a Translated Copy of my Wife's Divorce Certificate and Birth Certificate?

Thanks

Birth Certificate, no, divorce certificate, yes.

Rookie มือใหม่

OK

I have finally got my head around everything we need to do.

Thanks again.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi All

I think I may have been a touch optimistic after my previous post above!

Today my wife had her appointment at VFS Global for Settlement Visa Application and Bio-metric Enrolment. As required she took her signed copy of the Application Form which was returned to her. Subsequently she has received an SMS which states the Visa Application has been forwarded to UKVI on 15/05/2018.

I have just been told that she is now being advised by a 'Thai friend' that the Application Form has to be posted from Thailand to the Sheffield address in the UK. The staff at VFS Global made no mention of this and I am not sure if this is required?

I thought I had already collected all necessary Supporting Documents and I understand we have 20 days from today to submit them.

Can someone please clarify.

Thanks

Rookie มือใหม่

Im with you Steve, confused over what goes where and when and no clear information on the Government website... pretty poor show really.

I have just been told that she is now being advised by a 'Thai friend' that the Application Form has to be posted from Thailand to the Sheffield address in the UK. The staff at VFS Global made no mention of this and I am not sure if this is required?
    Thanks
    Don't you just love Thai friends!

As far as I can see as you have submitted the main application form to VFS, you don't need to submit it again to Sheffield. Sheffield is for supporting documents.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi

I telephoned UK Immigration Helpline at a cost of £1.67 per minute and they advised the Application Form is treated as a Supporting Document and needs to be sent to Sheffield?

Taking no chances and the Form is being sent by Courier from Thailand and will be included with my ever growing file of Supporting Documents.

You have to be a mind reader to follow this process!

We included it in our supporting documents. They had everything else, so we thought, why not. It has the GWF and barcode on the front, so I put it at the front of the folder.

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks

Courier delivered Application Form today and I have done as you suggested.

Rookie มือใหม่

so they don't take it off you at vfs like the visit visa... wish all this was explained with clarity somewhere

Rookie มือใหม่

My wife had a Standard Appointment at VFS and below I have copied an extract from the Confirmation E mail for information:

The appointment should last approximately 15 minutes.
    YOU HAVE BOOKED A STANDARD VISA APPOINTMENT
    Please bring:
    - a print out of your appointment confirmation
    - a signed print out of your visa application form
    - your passport
    - a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate if you are going to the UK for more than 6 months
    - if you are under 18, a signed letter of consent from a parent or guardian
    - any other documents to support your application.

The Application Form needs to be included with Supporting Documents and sent to Sheffield. I am not sure but maybe the process could be different if you book and pay for a Premium Appointment? This option is available after completion of the Application Online and payment of Visa and IHS Surcharge.

Hope this helps.

Rookie มือใหม่

thanks....