Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rookie มือใหม่

Hi everyone
    Think we have had a bit of another re-think!
    The more we hear, and the more advice we get I think its sunk in that we are just trying to do so much, and I know even then we will only be scratching the surface.

So Thailand: Fly into Bangkok/Sleeper train up to Chiang Mai - few days there (4), Fly down to Krabi, do few islands over the space of 11-12 days, fly back to Bangkok and do 3 nights to end our trip.

Cambodia: Fly into Bangkok, get connecting flight to Siam Reap, Stay there a few days to do Ankhor Wat, bus down to Phnom Pehn to do the killing fields, stay for a couple of nights. Bus down to Sihanoukville and Ferry across to islands (11 days or so on islands). Bus back up to Phnom Pehn, Fly to Bangkok and do 3 nights to end our trip.

We have decided that these 2 options are 2 separate trips.

My partner is of the mind set that the more unspoiled beaches on Cambodia will not remain that way for too long, so think we will do that one first (and then I will be in his ear to do the other one next year!)

I would appreciate any tips or comments for the Cambodia trip,
    I need to know how their visas work
    Are there any excursions you would recommend?
    Hotels you could recommend?
    Thanks!

The surrounding areas of Chiang Mai are beautiful

123.jpg

124.jpg

122.jpg

20170921_143519.jpg

20170922_135712.jpg
    Last edited by marshall; 22nd Mar 2018 at 18:14.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Quote Originally Posted by jojogemm View Post
    Days 10-13 Fly to Siem Reap, do Ankor Wat
    Have recently returned from Siem Reap. Highly recommended. Hotels are cheap, but a lot of them are on the outskirts of the city. We stayed at the Shadow Angkor Residence which is a stones throw from "Pub Street" and all the restaurants in the centre of town.

Days 20, fly home from Cambodia (Via Bangkok?). Is that possible?
    Yes, via Bangkok. Regular flights from Phnom Penh to Suvarnabhumi Airport with several airlines, including Thai.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

that does sound better ,jealous ,visa will be no problem as there will be no hassel in the thail/cambodia land crossings ,you have a plan now and in my eyes a better one ,if you want the backpacker type experience only book your main flights and go with the flow with the rest you might end up not liking somewhere or fed up with the beach all internal travel can be done via laptop withe hotel bookings transport as well .

I need to know how their visas work
    I would recommend getting an eVisa in advance of your trip. You'll have it emailed to you within a few days of applying. You print two copies yourself, cut them out, and staple them in your passport. It can be used for entry up to 3 months from date of issue and valid for 1 month upon arrival.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

eVisas are $36 each. More than a visa on arrival which is only $30, but it will save you joining a VERY long queue at the visas on arrival desk. Straight to immigration with your eVisa and only 1 queue to worry about.

Regards
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks all, I will deffo get the emailed visa, anything that saves queuing and precious holiday minutes up is a waste!
    I will look into the hotels for Siam Reap, thank you.
    Even though we quite like the idea of the backpacker no bookings, and we may well do that between the Siam Reap and Phnom Phen, I am thinking we may book up accommodation on islands as its peak season and a few I looked at were already booked, which has somewhat concerned me!

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I am thinking we may book up accommodation on islands as its peak season and a few I looked at were already booked, which has somewhat concerned me!
    Absolutely, I have no knowledge of the Cambodian islands but Koh Kood in January for example - all the decent accomodation and the majority of the rest is gone by September. The best places on the best dates have gone already.

Rookie มือใหม่

Yes, Firstly I will sort out the international flight over there, then book the hotels - thank you

Old Hand มือเก่า

Hey, Im new here
    I was hoping for some advice. We are a couple in our 40s. Seen a bit of the world but totally new to Thai travel and have 3 weeks next January to visit.
    We don't want to do hostels (too old for that now!), but are happy to go to beach cabin type things, as long as there is air con, private bathrooms and is clean. We want to see some culture, some temples, some shopping, some history, but also lots of beautiful beaches and islands. Not worried about busy nightlife, a bar with some music a few beers and some cocktails somewhere nearby will do us :.

We wanted to start in Bangkok (maybe 2 nights? wanted to do the floating markets), someone told us we could get a sleep train to Cambodia? in Cambodia, a must for do, is the southern islands with unspoiled beaches then we were thinking across to Vietnam x
    Would like to know more about Hanoi in Vietnam, that's if you have been there. Also would be interested in Halong Bay.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

"Would like to know more about Hanoi in Vietnam, that's if you have been there. Also would be interested in Halong Bay."

If your not aware you can stay visa free in VN for up to 14 days on a UK passport, saved my alot of grief in the last couple of years, smaller and less chaotic than HCMC but not as laid back as Da Nang, I have never been to Halong Bay but I am interested, my cousin and his wife visited me in BKK then head there, said it was awesome, there is also now an alternative airport to use with direct flights from BKK to Haiphong with Viet Jet (I have used them a few times) I checked last year cheapest was £29 one way, was very tempted but was too busy. As for Hanoi Airport it is very easy to reach the Old City using taxis or mini buses, I checked the routes and used the mini buses, as a capital city has lots to see and do, museums, temples etc, depending on the time of year check the temperatures, it s in the north so cooler during winter and hot / sticky during summer, to be honest I would nt even think about going, I would just do it . Top Tip up and out early A) cooler (summer) B) the other tourists are stuffing their cake holes with breakfast.
    bangkok mags

i did a 3 night boat trip in halong bay was great,i did a bit of research before i booked it seems there is low/middle/high system i went for the middle ie in cost tier system and then went for the high end of that tier ,the 3 nights went fast always someting to do and the days was filled with various activities cooking classes,kayak,swiming,oyster farm ,squid fishing,was a highlight to my visit to nam,but i did fall in love with hoi an loved it there

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    "Would like to know more about Hanoi in Vietnam, that's if you have been there. Also would be interested in Halong Bay."

If your not aware you can stay visa free in VN for up to 14 days on a UK passport, saved my alot of grief in the last couple of years, smaller and less chaotic than HCMC but not as laid back as Da Nang .
    On the Vietnam embassy website in London. It is now saying that, if you travel to Vietnam after the month of June 2018. There will now be a visa charge.
    The visa fee is £55.00 from the Vietnam embassy website in London.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Cheers , the trail period must be over, will have to remember to avoid VN , must be going back to the needing a letter / visa again.
    Just checked British, German, Italian,French Spanish and Belarus via free ends 30 June, can go back to Visa on Arrival with letter, it will be back to applying online to get the letter.
    bangkok mags

ye i had to pay for a visa it was more than that i think £88 but this was in 2014 ,i was a little bit naffed as you can obtain it in bangkok same day service i think at that time was around £35 ,missed out on around 50 extra beer tokens

Using the Visa on Arrival method should be in the region of $15/17 for the letter (applied online) and $25/27 for the "Stamp" fee in US Dollars, £55 and £88 is wallet crying , most i ve spent on a flights to VN was £37 from Hong Kong to Da Nang, Taipei (Taiwan) to HCMC was £35 from DMK looking at around £21 / £25 to HCMC and Hanoi.
    bangkok mags

agree flights are very cheap to vietnam
    this extract is from someones blog on vietnam
    Please note that the Vietnamese Embassy tends to change its prices and delivery schedule quite frequently, as you can see from the comments below. Don’t be surprised if the prices have gone up or the processing days have changed. Take extra cash with you. Also, please leave a comment here with changes to pricing and I will update the article accordingly – thanks!