Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Thai girlfriend wanting to relocate to UK

Hi all. Any comments on this fromwiser and more experienced heads would be gratefully received.

Simply put, my Thai nationalgirlfriend is now pregnant and the baby is due in October. What I require is some advice on whether and on what basis it would be possible for her to relocate to the UK post birth. She has visited before and currently has the benefit of a Visitors Visa which is due to expire next month. I understand that the issue willbe her and not the child since the child will automatically get British citizenshipthrough me given that I, as the father, am a British passport holder who was born in the UK.

The questions are therefore:

1.Is it possible for her to relocate to the UK and if so on what basis and how do I go about making that happen?

2.Is it an absolute that we will need to be married beforehand? I would like to avoid doing so if at all possible due to having had a bad experience previously.

3.Could somebody confirm my initial understanding as to the automatic issuing of a British passport to the child and again, if this is correct, what is theprocess for obtaining this.

Many many thanks to anyone who canbring some experience to bear on these issues.

Mark

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Yes of course she can come to live in the UK providing she meets all the requirements and would need apply for a settlement visa to do so. You would also need to have sufficient income to support her and the child and suitable accommodation where you can all live. However, unless you have lived together for a set amount of time abroad (I don't know the exact details on that but I think the time required is 2 years with proof) then yes, you will either have to be married or registered as civil partners. As there is no civil partner legislation in Thailand you will need to be married for her to apply for a settlement visa.

As far as I know, as long as you are named as the father on the child's birth certificate, you can apply for a UK Passport for it. If you are not named as the father you would need to go through a lengthy process of proving paternity using DNA evidence.

Member สมาชิก

Has something changed re childs nationality automatically becoming British if the father is ??
    One of mine born October 2005 was denied a British passport. We were not married I might add.

edited to add I was named on birth certificate

As far as I know, if one parent is British and is named on the birth certificate, a British passport should be forthcoming without a problem.

This can't be right - surely? Just checking this on the government's website - a £973 fee to register as British for the child of a British citizen that is born outside the UK???

So does that mean, say you're a British couple working abroad and you have a child whilst you are away, you have to pay £973 to register the child as British??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Has something changed re childs nationality automatically becoming British if the father is ??
    One of mine born October 2005 was denied a British passport. We were not married I might add.

edited to add I was named on birth certificate
    Yes, things changed very shortly after. A child born abroad before 1 July 2006 to a British father and non-British mother who were not married would not automatically be British. Children born abroad on or after 1 July 2006 to a parent who is British otherwise than by descent will automatically be British by descent whether the parents were married or not.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

That's how I thought it was Tobias but the gov website is very unclear.

Blog Entries

You were probably looking at the 'registration as British' information. There is no need to register a child as British if they are automatically British by birth. The child's birth certificate (perhaps with supporting evidence from the parents) is all that is necessary to establish citizenship and the entitlement as of right to a British passport.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    You were probably looking at the 'registration as British' information.
    Yes, I think I was.

Member สมาชิก

Yes, things changed very shortly after. A child born abroad before 1 July 2006 to a British father and non-British mother who were not married would not automatically be British. Children born abroad on or after 1 July 2006 to a parent who is British otherwise than by descent will automatically be British by descent whether the parents were married or not.
    Thank you that has confirmed why he was denied a British passsport in 2005

Blog Entries

Does he have a British passport now?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Does he have a British passport now?
    No he doesnt albeit subsequently his mother wanted to say within Thailand with our lad and its worked out quite well. I take care financially of him within reason and see him as and when as I'm in Thailand which as its 6 months a year anyway, so frequent visits to him.

Blog Entries

Worth keeping the following links handy for future reference, just in case he wishes to get a British passport in the future:
    https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-father
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...March_2017.pdf
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukf
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Worth keeping the following links handy for future reference, just in case he wishes to get a British passport in the future:
    https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-father
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...March_2017.pdf
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukf
    Thank you have bookmarked that for future reference