Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

By "the way they behave" I'm not only referring to pricing. As they all operate similar pricing policies re. changes, they only choice is to pay much higher prices and that's what I disagree with. I'd be perfectly happy to pay an administration fee which reflected their costs to make the changes I'm requesting.

My point about empty seats earlier was that on all occasions where I've needed to make a change, not only have I had to pay the fee for changing - amazingly all the seats in the same pricing category as I'd previously chosen have gone so I've also been asked to pay an additional fee to 'upgrade' to the next available category. With a half empty plane, I find this hard to believe and on one occasion called Southall travel who advised me that the cheaper seats were in fact available. Another call to the airline and it was sorted and the operator I talked to told me she had no idea why the person I'd first talked to told me they weren't. As I said before, I believe the airlines know there will be a certain amount of people who will make changes and that they will make some extra cash from that - which allows them to advertise flights cheaper - marketing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    .. As I said before, I believe the airlines know there will be a certain amount of people who will make changes and that they will make some extra cash from that - which allows them to advertise flights cheaper - marketing.
    Of course they do, that is the pricing model they operate! That is exactly how it is intended to work. As I have said already highlighted, it's not and administration fee you pay to change (although some airlines charge this on top of the change fees), it's a consideration for the variation of the contract. In other words, an additional charge and fare for the new flights.

All the cheaper fare buckets have advance purchase requirements so if you try to change to a flight that is very close only the higher fare buckets will be available (i.e. those fares with greater flexibility). On the example I gave above for the BA flights to SIN, all the lower fare buckets are down to '0' presumably because they are either all sold or the advance purchase period has passed. Pricing is dynamic, if an airline sees demand increasing on a particular flight Revenue Management may remove the lower fare classes from the inventory. What will also be likely, all fare classes apart from the more flexible ones are likely to be closed off within a few days of departure. But prices are dynamic, when I've been watching fare inventory for a flight I've been wanting to change to, the variation of availability is amazing, with different buckets appearing and disappearing over several hours.

I know this feels like a punitive action by the airline when you are forced to make changes and find yourself facing a hefty sum to change, but the airlines are simply following the terms of the ticket as sold to you. They are, honestly and fairly, following their pricing model to the letter. Most airlines overbook flights in full knowledge that a significant number of passengers will no show - the airline relies on that revenue as part of its pricing model. Apparently as many as 10% of passengers no show for some flights.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Train companies operate a very similar fare policy. You can get some great cheap deals but these come with very limited flexibility, if any at all. Miss your train and you have to buy a new ticket on the next one.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Apparently as many as 10% of passengers no show for some flights.
    Any breakdown on this such as Economy vs Business/First Class ?
    Lucky

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I am not familiar with EK's fares, I stopped flying them a few years ago after repeatedly poor service. I suspect the higher fare will be in a higher business class fare bucket. That will mean most changes will cost just the £300 with no fare difference - the lower fare buckets tend to disappear many weeks out leaving only the more expensive fare buckets available. The passenger who bought the 'Saver' fare would probably have to pay the £300 change fee plus the £700 or so fare difference whereas the 'Semi Flex' passenger pays just the £300 change fee.
    You would of thought so, the flex ticket looks identical to the saver ticket to me. It clearly states there will be a £300 change fee, yet nothing to confirm there would be no fare difference to pay. All I could see on the wesite is the following, Important: Change fees will be charged in addition to any applicable fare difference.
    To me, it looks like the flex ticket is just a very high bucket saver fare, I am probably wrong but without anything to confirm otherwise I would not be confident to book that class of ticket.

I stated in my previous post that it does clearly state that there will be a charge to book seats before online checkin, especially on the cheaper fare tickets. What it does not tell you, is exactly how much you will have to pay until you have purchased your ticket. Only then when you go to manage your booking will the exact cost of pre booking your seats be made available.

There is only a guide line table of what you could expect to pay for pre booking seats. Seat fees vary from season, route and destination, so an extra legroom seat is priced between £40 to £155.

I have booked direct with Emirates now three times, so I know what to expect. I am more than happen to book through Emirates, the saving of flying out of Glasgow during the summer holidays is a no brainer.

The question is, are some of their fees deemed hidden and is the wording on the website regarding these fees misleading?
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 26th Mar 2018 at 20:40.

Only 3 times in over 165 return tickets to Thailand have I had to (or wanted to) change a date. Once was literally last week on Oman (£100) once on Etihad in 2006 when my lad broke his leg in uk (cant recall what price change was or if I bought one way ticket...not sure) and once on Emirates in 1995 which was £50

Risk and reward at the end of the day. You want super flexiblity you have to pay for it and rightly so.

From personal history you can only imagine how many £1000's extra I would have paid if I had added flexibility (or full flex) on that amount of tickets.

I have never missed an outbound flight although came very close on January 1st 1996 and you can guess the reason why lol !

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

On the day of departure some airlines will allow changes, for example on BA short haul from 00:01 on the day of departure even the most restrictive economy tickets can be changed for £60 for a move to an earlier or later flight.
    You will also find that in many cases it is cheaper to change the return date after you have flown the outbound flight.
    As far as I know BA domestic and European economy flights can be changed at any time for £60 and in fact BA offer free changes on the day of departure to and earlier flight though its not well publicised.

Being cheaper to make changes after departure is normally the case but that is usually down to the ticket repricing rules for the airline
    After departure you can normally reprice at the date the ticket was issued rather than the date of the change however it all goes to pot if you fall foul of the minimum/maximum stay rule then you would have to reprice the whole journey with the possibility of paying more for the already flown sector.
    There is also the problem of going from a low to high season price, the general rule here is that changes to the return, once you've flown out are not affected by that unless your on BA or IB who will want to reprice.

BA changes to the return flight before departure of the first flight can be repriced either on the day of the change or the original ticketing date which ever is cheaper.
    Changes to the first flight will always be repriced on the day of the change.
    Emirates on the other hand must be repriced on the day of the change which ever flight is changed.

A simple name correction is free,
    Unfortunately not Emirates £33 Oman $75 LH £45 are just a few and that is for up to 3 characters only.

The problem is they are all different, you have to check the rules pretty much every time when it comes to changes and if an agency gets it wrong they will be issued with an ADM (agency debit memo) for whatever the correct amount should be including any fare difference + an admin charge or even collecting the change fee by the wrong method and it can amount to a lot of money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Any breakdown on this such as Economy vs Business/First Class ?
    As I understand it Lucky, the percentage is across all cabins.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.