Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Furious Road Safety proposed new rules

I had some difficulty believing this could be an improvement.https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...-points-system

You can lose your licence after 4 drink drive offences in one year or 4 hit and runs.
    Is it April 1st already? The chances of getting caught are slim anyway and the punishment is a joke no wonder why the death toll is so high.

Unbelievable!

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Yes its nowhere near far enough but let's not knock it too much - at least its a step in the right direction. The biggest problem I see is that its probably just talk. They might even put such a system in place but will they enforce it? Doubtful.

I'm more worried at the tone of other recent announcements about 'road safety' They've had a go at Chinese drivers - even suggesting they might not allow them to drive in Thailand anymore. Then there was the thing with the British Embassy about educating foreigners about driving in Thailand. All this smacks of that old Thai tradition - blame the foreigners. Could we see a day where we are not allowed to drive in Thailand due to our clearly lesser ability and standards which present a serious danger to those highly skilled and courteous Thai road users?

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Yes its nowhere near far enough but let's not knock it too much - at least its a step in the right direction......

I'm more worried at the tone of other recent announcements about 'road safety' They've had a go at Chinese drivers - even suggesting they might not allow them to drive in Thailand anymore.
    Quite so, let them change the Law and get the framework in place and then hopefully they can toughen up the penalties later. If they make them too tough now there will too many objections. The powers are limited anyway as many offenders don't have a license for which it's only a 500 Baht fine.

On the second point Chinese are appalling drivers/riders and even walkers. They don't look and I'm amazed more don't get hurt. They have no consideration for anyone else. They really are appalling and I'm appalled on an almost daily basis. Quite often I'm in the car (a large SUV) or bike (Ninja 650) and they just step out into the road without looking as a big group. I shouldn't I know but every now and again I leave my braking to the last moment and give them a blast of my upgraded 130 dB horns which I have on both vehicles. Normally they get out of the way sharpesh. Haven't killed any yet, but there are lots of spare. Although tongue in cheek this sums up most Phuketians view of the Chinese. We don't like them and we don't want them.

I thought it was Pattaya that was snowed under with Chinese didnt realise they had made it to Phuket too. Wherever the flag holder goes they follow like sheep, it can be quite comical to sit back and watch sometimes.