Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Default So Much for PM's Road Safety Campaign!!!

Despite the proclamations of Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha prior to Songkran that a road safety campaign would be mounted to reduce accidents over the 'Seven Deadly Days' of the Songkran Festival, accidents and deaths of Thailand's roads actually rose in 2018.

3724 accidents
    418 deaths - 7.2% up on 2017
    3897 injured - 2.3% up on 2017

Drunk driving, another area that was supposed to have been targeted for action was said to be responsible for over 40% of accidents.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...-toll-up-again

Member สมาชิก

I really can't see this situation ever changing unfortunately because most Thais, tourists and many expats simply do not care, and police enforcement is pitiful. Even if we are caught the fines are very low, and miniscule for the Thais.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    I really can't see this situation ever changing unfortunately because most Thais, tourists and many expats simply do not care, and police enforcement is pitiful. Even if we are caught the fines are very low, and miniscule for the Thais.
    For example not having 20 on the back of a pick up law lasted how long?

Member สมาชิก

Or 5 on a Scoopy with the family dawg!

Rookie มือใหม่

Yeah it's terrible but as the poster said, it will likely remain so. Stay safe!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

A good friend of mine from Canada who was living over there was run over and killed in Korat in January crossing the road, police didn't do anything apparently its down to the family to pursue it privately. The standard of driving and the general not giving a **** attitude once behind the wheel / handlebars is the thing that most annoys me when I'm over there. I find it hard with the extra level of concentration you need when driving there especially at night.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel&panada View Post
    I find it hard with the extra level of concentration you need when driving there especially at night.
    I avoid driving at night whenever possible. Its probably a corruption thing but I find the non-reflective worn out white road markings a complete waste of time. You don't realise how much you depend on REFLECTIVE white lines until you can't depend on them .

Improvements in the standard of driving will only come about when those in power stop just talking the talk and walk the walk. People know that no matter what new rules or safety measures are announced, they'll be forgotten about in a few weeks. Massive improvements in road safety could be made very quickly with no new rules if they just started making people behave themselves. On highway 2 between Pak Chong and Saraburi, the police have at least 2 road blocks every day - which, apart from causing dangerous queues on a fairly fast road are doing what, finding a few overweight trucks? Surely their time would be better spent patrolling and sorting out bad driving. But they know all this, nobody gives a damn, they just talk about it on TV.

Last year I was heading to Bangkok on highway 2 when a guy in a Toyota Fortuna, driving in the outside lane of 3 suddenly stopped. I was about 3 cars back and how we all managed to miss him I know not. Why did he stop? He'd seen something at the roadside, stopped, indicated left and drove across all 3 lanes to get to the roadside!!! The UK is not immune to bad driving but I really can't imagine that happening here. Unbelievable but things like that go on every day and nobody does a damned thing about it. There again, highway 2 is akin to a motorway, where else would you find hundreds of fruit stalls at the side of a motorway, tempting motorists to pull up?

Premium Member

One of the reasons I left Thailand was the dangers posed to me and my family when driving anywhere. I agree 100% that it's a disgrace and a threat to anybody within walking distance of these cretins. Sadly there are innocent people who get hurt in the midst of it all.

However, when it comes to Songkran....
    1. Drink
    2. Drive
    3. Throw water in the face of passing motorcyclists regardless of who's on the bike.
    4. Have water fights on the road with passing cars and pick-ups.
    5. Get back in the car drunk and drive home at speed.
    6. Turn the TV on and ignore all the warnings and footage of road fatalities.
    7. Wake up next day and do it all again.

I remember working with people who would know it was approaching and have all the booze and trips planned out weeks in advance. I used to see the pick-ups full of revellers out of their box by 3pm ploughing up S'vit road.

The Thai police are utterly hopeless at everything they should be doing. Even if they told the public that their cars will be impounded etc it wouldn't stop them. Its a culture that seems hell-bent on bending rules as soon as they are set.

It doesn't matter who's in govt. I get the impression whoever it is basically sit back and take the week off. Why waste your breath and time? When it comes to Songkran the overwhelming blame lies with the morons who cannot act responsibly, respectfully and above all, like bloody adults!

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ caller's Avatar

I think generally a lot of less affluent Thais live for today as there really isn't much hope of a better tomorrow. At least that's what a Thai I knew told me
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I think generally a lot of less affluent Thais live for today as there really isn't much hope of a better tomorrow. At least that's what a Thai I knew told me
    Jeez! Both interesting and worrying.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    418 deaths - 7.2% up on 2017
    In 1 week a similar sized nation to us manages to chalk up the deaths that we get in 12-13 weeks and the numbers are increasing. What does that tell about about the priorities of that nation? I can't help but think that it tells us something. You can smile all you want but if you don't care about the deadly consequences of your actions on others, are you nicer than taciturn surly people who do?
    Last edited by livingwithathaigirl; 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:24.

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ caller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    In 1 week a similar sized nation to us manages to chalk up the deaths that we get in 12-13 weeks and the numbers are increasing. What does that tell about about the priorities of that nation? I can't help but think that it tells us something. You can smile all you want but if you don't care about the deadly consequences of your actions on others, are you nicer than taciturn surly people who do?
    I genuinely believe that the average Thai has no understanding that what happens on Thailand's roads isn't the norm.

A year or so back I was having lunch with a load of senior bods from the Mall group in Korat for the opening of the extended Mall (in their favourite 'greasy spoon' no less). The lady to my left spoke excellent English and in response to being asked how I liked living in Thailand, I made the usual platitudes, but also mentioned a big negative was the terrible driving / riding seen daily and she was genuinely taken aback and actually said she just assumed it was the same everywhere - and she had been abroad, but doesn't drive.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Its a culture that seems hell-bent on bending rules as soon as they are set.
    Probably because they don't really get punished or have any respect for those who do the limited amount of punishment that takes place. 50 or 100 baht for not wearing a crash helmet for example - and when you know its going straight in the pocket of the cop who stopped you????

200 baht fine for speeding - then you read the ticket and it states that you cannot be fined again on that road on the same day...................woohoo..........foot down!!! Again you know where the fine is going.

Its going to be interesting to watch the development of speed cameras. They've certainly made me watch my speed and a Thai friend behaves herself completely now after getting the dreaded 1000 baht photo and fine through the post. I say it will be interesting because you can be sure the boys in brown are going to resist cameras in the strongest manner - they'll decimate their income.

All this about the police being stopped from having impromptu road blocks seem to have gone by the by. The only difference I've noticed is that they no longer seem to target foreigners - its certainly a long time since they tried with me, I'm just waved on nowadays.

Premium Member

I remember a lovely park being created up on the dark side of Pattaya. It was beautiful. Swings, playgrounds, football pitch, overlooking a reservoir and a lovely "cycling/running" track. This was designed for health and recreation. Within 48 hours of opening it was full of litter and 'adults' driving motorbikes around the track, amidst kids playing.

I get the part that the punishments are too lenient but I 100% believe that rules in Thailand are either ignored or 'sanook' to blatantly disregard. Its every man for themselves.

Having spent time up and down China's highways, the camera situation is insane. They are actually worse drivers, if that is possible, than Thais, but the overload of cameras keeps them in check. Let's hope one of General Bigwig's imports from there is the same system. Then again, financing the upkeep of such especially when they realise how easy it is to scrap evidence will be the next stumbling point.

"All this about the police being stopped from having impromptu road blocks seem to have gone by the by. The only difference I've noticed is that they no longer seem to target foreigners - its certainly a long time since they tried with me, I'm just waved on nowadays."

I was scoffing breakfast yesterday, watching them set up on both sides of the road (Surin Province)
    bangkok mags

They could make a start on improving things by stopping switching traffic lights to that crazy flashing system during quieter times. The theory behind it may have some merit but in a land where people already drive badly and take crazy risks - its a pretty stupid idea. I've yet to meet a Thai who knows how they work anyway!