Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Bangkok & Iraq

Ah ok, thanks Phil
    I wish I could find it again, when I read it I thought thats a good way to help out in the "family buisiness" with out being dropped in it and loosing the potential to be doing anything illegal once i settle there properly

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I'm not saying such a thing doesn't exist Wayne, but I've never heard of it.

A little searching has turned up a 'Supporting Evidence' document that accompanies the Immigration Bureau order that Steve 187 kindly posted. This more or less states the same as the order but it does go into more detail regarding income:

"5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than 40,000 baht throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s marital or parental status with a Thai national."

Nothing there states that the income must be from abroad, indeed, by asking for a tax return and payment receipt, I'm inclined to think it does refer to Thailand.

The way I see this going is that Isaan Lawyers will probably advise my mate to apply using the other route (business) next year and that I will take this woman on. I have less to lose than he does although, if I am also advised by Isaan Lawyers to use the business route and not to take her on - I'll go with that advice. I have to keep in mind that this is Thai Immigration and its seems that their officials can do whatever they want - no matter what the rules say.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Nothing there states that the income must be from abroad, indeed, by asking for a tax return and payment receipt, I'm inclined to think it does refer to Thailand........
    Before I had my company and work permit I was told the income had to come from abroad which makes sense since the income could not have been generated in Thailand, other than by interest on a large amount of savings (negating the need to show monthly income) or some other investments.

For my supporting documentation now in addition to giving copies of my social security payments I also need to provide a recent business registration copy, our last audit, six months company and personal bank statements, which basically proves the company is real and does make the money to pay me.

I don't have a business visa since my work permit is allowed on my Non O since I'm married to a Thai. If it is your intention to come and remain on a Business Visa would this mean that you would have to be either employed by a Thai company, that would have to arrange a Work Permit, or you would set up your own company and have a Business Visa and WP issued on that. The days of setting up shell companies are over so if you do set up a company it will need to do something and be profitable.

Over the years I have observed that "the rules" seem to be a minimum set of requirements but the IOs seem to be able for ask for anything they wish.
    Last edited by James HKT; 25th Apr 2018 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    Before I had my company and work permit I was told the income had to come from abroad which makes sense since the income could not have been generated in Thailand.
    For my supporting documentation now in addition to giving copies of my social security payments I also need to provide a recent business registration copy, our last audit, six months company and personal bank statements, which basically proves the company is real and does make the money to pay me.

Then it would appear James, that either you are applying under section 2.1 - business necessity or it could be that your application is being deemed as such.

Member สมาชิก

Then it would appear James, that either you are applying under section 2.1 - business necessity or it could be that your application is being deemed as such.
    My original visa was a Non O, updated once I moved here to be on the basis of marriage, which I did to avoid having to leave the country every ninety days. Once you update the visa on the basis of marriage you are entitled to apply for a Work Permit.
    So my current extensions are on the basis of marriage and my income is supported by a salary to me from my Thai company, for which I am an employed MD.

Thanks for the clarification James. Its looking more and more like we will have a fight. Although a fight in this case, will not resemble any fight I would have with the authorities in this country. Here we have clear, unambiguous rules that must be followed by the officials that administer them - if they don't you have rights and can seek redress without fear of retribution. In Thailand? Well.........................

Member สมาชิก

Actually Flip, have you ever been to an Immigration Office here?

The way it normally works is that after getting to the front of the queue you meet the first barrier which is normally a self important foreign immigration volunteer who will ask why you are there. If you have your application and paperwork ready they will look through it, and if they are happy with it they will give you a number and allow you to proceed to the next level. If you don't have everything in order they will give you a sheet of paper with what is required and send you on your way. You will not be permitted to sit in front of a Thai IO for a chat. Once you get though to the Thai IO they will go through your docs and probably tell you what else they require. There's no point quoting rules to them, they are not interested. It is very frustrating, you really are at their mercy.

Actually Flip, have you ever been to an Immigration Office here?
    Yes, several times. Actually I've just realised - being single I will have to apply under 2.1 in any case. So I shouldn't be fighting with anyone. Have to see what advice Isaan Lawyers give to my friend.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the clarification James. Its looking more and more like we will have a fight. Although a fight in this case, will not resemble any fight I would have with the authorities in this country. Here we have clear, unambiguous rules that must be followed by the officials that administer them - if they don't you have rights and can seek redress without fear of retribution. In Thailand? Well.........................
    Indeed, this is very different. You have no right to appeal and if an official makes a mistake it's better to smile and try to comply rather than argue or prove them wrong and make them lose face, which is a disaster as you will make an enemy for life no doubt.

Apart from some minor issues I've never had any problems with Phuket Immigration, some rude foreign volunteers on occasion but never the Thais. I wonder if your friend upset them in some way and they are just being difficult. I see many foreigners who don't realise we have different cultural rules here especially with officials. They expect to be treated with respect and never disagreed with.
    Last edited by James HKT; 25th Apr 2018 at 23:44.

I wonder if your friend upset them in some way and they are just being difficult. I see many foreigners who don't realise we have different cultural rules here especially with officials. They expect to be treated with respect and never disagreed with.
    I doubt it James, he's lived in Thailand for 8 years - he knows how things are and what to do.

But yes, I've seen foreigners behaving badly and digging themselves a huge hole. The last time I was in my branch of the Kasikorn Bank a German (I think) guy suddenly blew up and started shouting at the teller. He was there to try to open an account but didn't have what they require. When told that he exploded "I'm offering you 3 million baht to put in your little country bank bla bla bla". He could go away, get all the things the bank require and return with 30 million baht, he won't get an account there now - he's blown it.

However, things can get very frustrating so whilst not excusing it, I can see why some foreigners lose it - it took me a long time to realise that there's very little you can do about some of the crazy bureaucracy etc. and learn how to go about things in a different way. I have to say though that I have seen some things change for the better in recent years - not much but some.

What I'll never get is that the Thai government doesn't seem to realise just how much of a contribution foreigners actually provide towards the economy. They only measure tourism figures - they fail to see what ex pats spend over there which I'd guess is a considerable amount. Without adding it up I'd guess I spent over 3 million baht last year - not a huge amount but its win win for them, I cost them zero.

They should be welcoming us not making life more and more difficult.

I would suggest that someone posts the OP as a question to that Ubonjoe fella on Thaivisa if you want a definitive response. Then post the reply here. I'd do it but as one of the original members I would take a lot of grief and dont fancy taking one for the team
    He would appear to be acknowledged as the expert on all thai immigration issues and clearly Thaivisa refer to him on any query.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Have a look at this
    https://awbiz.asia/boi-setup/

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    I would suggest that someone posts the OP as a question to that Ubonjoe fella on Thaivisa if you want a definitive response. Then post the reply here. I'd do it but as one of the original members I would take a lot of grief and dont fancy taking one for the team
    He would appear to be acknowledged as the expert on all thai immigration issues and clearly Thaivisa refer to him on any query.
    Done a few days ago. Nothing different really the IO is wrong but what can be done?

Done a few days ago. Nothing different really the IO is wrong but what can be done?
    Yep if he cant assist probably no one can