Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Potential Passport for my son

I dont want to get involved with possible responses of why have you havent done it previously as the reasons are many and convoluted. I will precis and ask albeit Tobias responded to a query of mine several weeks ago when I had read a link here. Something has occured as in her boyfriend a Brit deciding he wants to bring him to the UK along with his mother. I have no issue with that in principle obviously

In short
    Have a son born outside of wedlock in Thailand (never married subsequently) in 2005 before the important change in 2006

I'm British albeit born in Germany and she is Thai. There are other aspects that I suspect "may" be problematical in that I have never seen his birth certificate for reasons various, albeit I do have the certificate of birth from the relevant hospital (not worth a lot I acknowledge). Whether I am listed on that Birth certificate I genuinely do not know lets just say she was "difficult" and the relationship only lasted 7 months after I was used 24/7 as a punchbag.

Whats the best course of action at this moment in time ?? It would appear the "boyfriend" is prepared to throw money at the issue if that becomes possibly of assistance.

I do acknowledge that I expect this to be a difficult application (if at all)

Edited to add 10000% I would pass any paternity test

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

In the nicest possible way, this is surely a matter for your ex's boyfriend and your ex? Other than possibly parental permission, you would not form any part of an application, it will be considered on its merits. You will however, be well placed to give them advice although I suspect that could be difficult for you.

First question - do they have any plans to marry?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    In the nicest possible way, this is surely a matter for your ex's boyfriend and your ex? Other than possibly parental permission, you would not form any part of an application, it will be considered on its merits. You will however, be well placed to give them advice although I suspect that could be difficult for you.

First question - do they have any plans to marry?
    They claim they need a copy of my birth certificate and current passport.... The boyfriend despite being somewhat obnoxious this last 3 years clearly has been told my input is needed because today his attitude has changed lol..... I do have in addition an email from Bangkok Embassy when I enquired in 2012 and 100% my input was needed then so clearly nothing has changed since then on that front that I can imagine (I had enquired at the time if she could obtain a british passport without my knowledge and disappear and the answer came back no)

No idea re marriage though if he has any sense he wont !

Its the year of birth that is the problem. Have just found this on Keyvisa site.

"If a British citizen has a relationship with a Thai national resulting in a child with both of their names on the baby’s birth certificate, that child is eligible for a British passport. That is a great thing to have for the baby’s future whether you are planning on traveling immediately or not.

The child is also entitled to a Thai passport along with his or her British passport. Dual nationality is not an issue. When the baby’s passport is issued it will be for 5 years, and can be renewed every 5 years with no problems and will only change to 10 years after the child reaches the age of 16 years.
    The baby’s passport will be issued regardless of marital status, as long as the baby was born after 1st July 2006. So, do not wait to apply for the passport because naturalizing the child as a British citizen is wonderful for their future and do it now in case the rules change in the future."

Its the born before date thats the problem

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

There was a contact enquiry form attached to that keyvisa website so have just now given the basic details etc to see what comes back

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Its the born before date thats the problem
    Why? It was a potential problem when you were talking about simply obtaining a British Passport in the other thread but this is a visa application. The applicant simply applies for herself and the child. The bigger problem would be if they do not intend getting married.

If the kid is British then he does not need a visa so assuming Wunderbar is the dad that's the point
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    If the kid is British then he does not need a visa so assuming Wunderbar is the dad that's the point
    There's some history to this story on another thread Ash, I'm not completely daft.

Why? It was a potential problem when you were talking about simply obtaining a British Passport in the other thread but this is a visa application. The applicant simply applies for herself and the child. The bigger problem would be if they do not intend getting married.
    Flip go and read the OP. Passport application for my lad. Nothing to do with visas.
    Thread title is potential passport for my son

Keyvisa have very promptly emailed back overnight but it appears the lad has to go through a naturalization process prior to any passport application

Comments from the boyfriend overnight who clearly thought it was an exchange of documents by post and subsequently a done deal !

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Flip go and read the OP. Passport application for my lad. Nothing to do with visas.Thread title is potential passport for my son
    OK so I'm missing something. Are you still thinking of applying for a passport for him or is this about his mum and her boyfriend?

If its the latter, then it may be easier to just let them do as they wish. A straight passport application runs into problems as he was born before 1 July 2006. If they make a successful visa application he will become eligible for British citizenship in the fullness of time.

OK so I'm missing something. Are you still thinking of applying for a passport for him or is this about his mum and her boyfriend?

If its the latter, then it may be easier to just let them do as they wish. A straight passport application runs into problems as he was born before 1 July 2006. If they make a successful visa application he will become eligible for British citizenship in the fullness of time.
    Flip I will be as polite as possible. I'm not interested whatsoever about the mother or the brain dead lump of a boyfriend.
    I am attempting to obtain a British passport for my son and nothing more. As we know if he had been born a year later it would have been an exchange of documents an application and automatically granted British passport.

Because he was born slightly earlier he doesnt fall into that automatic bracket unfortunately
    Key visa have supplied a list of requirements which even only with a brief scan are going to prove onerous.

Have emailed the boyfriend and put it back in his court for the moment. If he's capable of comprehension and thats doubtful as every other word is F and C he'll realise what we are up against

It may well be that it might be simpler to raise a visa if possible if they can obtain a thai passport without me and go from there. I'll doubt they can obtain either without me though and clearly the visa definately not because I have an email regarding that from enquiries in the past

Right, when I read your first post (and having read your post on the other thread) I took it (when you said 'something has occurred') that you were balancing applying for a passport with the possibility of your ex applying for a UK visa and that that had possibly changed your mind.

I wish you luck if you're going to continue but I'll pass this on for what its worth. I know for sure that a Thai woman can obtain a passport for her child without the father's involvement as my ex did it when we were together. That followed a custody battle with the paternal grandparents which was only because they were being difficult - Thai law gives the mother custody by default. Its a long time back but I seem to remember there being some kind of additional form to complete to obtain the passport without the father's input.

However, I know its more difficult for a child born before 1 July 2006 but is the list of requirements for a British passport impossible? I'm asking because these things become more and more difficult as a child gets older. If the ex's boyfriend is as you suggest he is, they may screw a visa application up and time will have gone by again. He also doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'd want my son around - if at all possible I'd try to continue with the UK passport.

Yes may well be able to obtain the thai passport without the father I acknowledge although absolutely not the visa which is not what they want anyway. They want the British passport for reasons various that we all know.
    Stand on me I dont want the thug anywhere near the lad but they have another son together so kinda stuck with it and accepted it these last 3 years.

As mentioned before the requirements are onerous albeit possible with time but the big one is proof of relationship between myself and the mother. I have absolutely nothing. The best I have is photos of him from 0-7 months but not even me with the lad. I have to prove (reading between the lines) that the relationship was real and not a deliberate one night stand to produce a child and I obviously understand the reasons why.

When you go through the application form and the guidance notes everything is "geared up" to assume the individual is already in the UK and applying for naturalization. Only briefly does it comment about instances where the applicant is not here