Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Maiden name or married name on SV?

Hi all,

I know this may sound like a stupid question but do I put my fiancées maiden name on the SV application or do I write it out as if we’ve already been married?

I’m sure I read somewhere that someone on here changed their wife’s name in their passport after the visa was granted?

My plan is to get married at the start of my 2 week holiday in September and submit the visa application towards the end of the 2 weeks but if we need to change her name in the passport, we won’t have time to submit the application while I’m there.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Name on the date its signed. If she changes her name later, she will be given a name change certificate. You will need that translating and I'm pretty sure the British authorities will require that to be a certified translation.

There may be reasons why you can't but in 2 weeks you can easily get her paspport changed. You will find it much easier if you get married, change the name in her ID card and then she obtains a new passport before submitting the application. It used to be that an ID card name change could only be done at her local amphur but I'm pretty sure Bangkok amphurs can now do it - check that out. I don't think the new passport process takes long either.

I'm a little rusty on all this - others that have gone through the process more recently can probably answer you better but if at all possible, get the name changed beforehand - it saves on a lot of paperwork and/or mucking about later.

One addition, I don't know if you are aware or not but she doesn't have to change her name - its not mandatory.

Isn't the application sent to Sheffield now anyway and just the biometrics done in Bangkok?
    Last edited by Flip; 30th Apr 2018 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Name on the date its signed. If she changes her name later, she will be given a name change certificate. You will need that translating and I'm pretty sure the British authorities will require that to be a certified translation.

There may be reasons why you can't but in 2 weeks you can easily get her paspport changed. You will find it much easier if you get married, change the name in her ID card and then she obtains a new passport before submitting the application. It used to be that an ID card name change could only be done at her local amphur but I'm pretty sure Bangkok amphurs can now do it - check that out. I don't think the new passport process takes long either.

I'm a little rusty on all this - others that have gone through the process more recently can probably answer you better but if at all possible, get the name changed beforehand - it saves on a lot of paperwork and/or mucking about later.

One addition, I don't know if you are aware or not but she doesn't have to change her name - its not mandatory.

Isn't the application sent to Sheffield now anyway and just the biometrics done in Bangkok?
    Thanks for the info Flip. After reading what you've said, I've done a bit more research this afternoon and it seems it's a bit of a ball ache to change her name. I think we'll wait and if she wants to take my name on at a later date, we'll do it then. I didn't realise that it wasn't mandatory to change her name and to be honest it's just another thing to try and cram in to a short period of time.

Once again, thank you very much.

Andy.

Well its been a while but it wasn't a ball ache before. In fact with my ex, we married at her home amphur and she changed the name on her ID card before we left. She didn't have a passport at the time.

What may be a ball ache is changing it when she's in the UK - which, if possible you will have to do through the Thai Embassy in London. By then you will no doubt have put her name on several UK things - that will need changing, they'll need documentary evidence, the evidence will be in Thai.........you see where I'm going? I really would get it done in Thailand if you intend doing it at all.

Well its been a while but it wasn't a ball ache before. In fact with my ex, we married at her home amphur and she changed the name on her ID card before we left. She didn't have a passport at the time.

What may be a ball ache is changing it when she's in the UK - which, if possible you will have to do through the Thai Embassy in London. By then you will no doubt have put her name on several UK things - that will need changing, they'll need documentary evidence, the evidence will be in Thai.........you see where I'm going? I really would get it done in Thailand if you intend doing it at all.
    I'll have a look in to it while I'm there, If I can fit it in, no problem but if it's going to create delays, we'll sort it next time we're there on holiday or something. It would be great to sort everything out in one hit to be honest, though.

Still haven't sorted my wife's Thai ID card or passport out yet. We married in the UK and it would have been a pain. As they run out they will be changed and it's no problem any way as we just carry the UK marriage certificate with us when we are traveling.

Mrs got a new Thai passport last year,we went to the passport office at Suan Luang (Bangkok) the process took less than a week including posting it out.
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

They will ask your wife at the amphur when you get married if she wants to take your surname or not and that will be put on the marriage certificate and the other documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackem Stu View Post
    They will ask your wife at the amphur when you get married if she wants to take your surname or not and that will be put on the marriage certificate and the other documents.
    I’m just worried I won’t get it back in time for the visa appointment/biometrics the following week. There’s an awful lot to fit in to a 2 week period. Including a drive up to Yasothon for the ceremony. I’ll play it by ear and see how it pans out.

Cheers

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Melteddrummer View Post
    Including a drive up to Yasothon for the ceremony.
    You're driving to Yasothon?? A journey I've made many times but do yourself a favour - fly to Ubon and rent a car from the airport. I would not drive that journey again if I was paid to.

You're driving to Yasothon?? A journey I've made many times but do yourself a favour - fly to Ubon and rent a car from the airport. I would not drive that journey again if I was paid to.
    I've done it twice now, it took 15 hours each way, both times, it's a killer as you know. Didn't realise you could fly to Ubon, that is definitely what we'll do! Thanks for the tip, you've probably just saved me 2 days of driving

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

There are about 12 flights a day from Bangkok to Ubon. Thai Smile from Suvannabumi 3 times a day and the other airlines from Don Muang. Yasothon about 100 km drive from Ubon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Tia View Post
    There are about 12 flights a day from Bangkok to Ubon. Thai Smile from Suvannabumi 3 times a day and the other airlines from Don Muang. Yasothon about 100 km drive from Ubon.
    Perfect, definitely going to fly up and hire a car. I’m guessing the flights are cheap?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

September 850-1200 baht one way

Flying internally in Thailand is dirt cheap but the baggage allowance is low. A bit like Ryanair but the addons are cheaper.

My wife's family are close to the Mekong river near Mukdahan and we did the tourist bit back in 2015 where we flew to Udon Thani and then drove through the mountains. If we do it again we will fly to Nakhon Phanom which is a lot closer unless we are after a leisurely drive.

Dirt cheap man! This is the future, no more driving for hours on end.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    Flying internally in Thailand is dirt cheap but the baggage allowance is low. A bit like Ryanair but the addons are cheaper.

My wife's family are close to the Mekong river near Mukdahan and we did the tourist bit back in 2015 where we flew to Udon Thani and then drove through the mountains. If we do it again we will fly to Nakhon Phanom which is a lot closer unless we are after a leisurely drive.
    Sounds great! I’ll definitely be doing some exploring next time I’m on holiday there. I’ve done Koh samui and Koh pangnan but fancy a trip in the mountains for something different!

We saw elephants in their natural habitat drinking at a pool. My wife loves nature and she started me off on it. Now she has the video camera with a decent tripod and I handle the stills. Only used them in the UK so far though. The only island in Thailand we ever got to was on our second date to Phi Phi. The first was to a Muay Thai boxing evening. The women's fights were better than the men's as the contests were more even.

Can Fly / Bus to Yasothon City via Roi-et Airport with Nok Air , Driving from Roi-et Airport to Yasothon City is less than an hour, but more choice into Ubon , I am picking In-Laws up Saturday night in Ubon, They live in Seoul, flying from Inchon > BKK with Korean switching to Thai Smile to Ubon.
    Nok Air have 3 days left on their Promotion, example fare to Roi-et is 450 baht in June, need add bags.
    bangkok mags

That's an absolute bargain, get in man!

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    We saw elephants in their natural habitat drinking at a pool. My wife loves nature and she started me off on it. Now she has the video camera with a decent tripod and I handle the stills. Only used them in the UK so far though. The only island in Thailand we ever got to was on our second date to Phi Phi. The first was to a Muay Thai boxing evening. The women's fights were better than the men's as the contests were more even.
    We both want to go to Phi Phi, looks fantastic.

450 Baht? that is mental haha