Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Part time work

  1. #1
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    19 Feb 2017
    Posts
    55

    Default Part time work

    Hi everyone.

    My wife arrived in November last year and she wants to start part time work.

    Can anyone recommend what is the best way forward?

    She hasn’t got any formal qualifications and has mainly worked in shops etc

    I was thinking of taking her to the job centre to see if they can find work for her do you think his is a good idea?

    She wants to start off with a cleaning type job really something where she isn’t face to face with customers like a waitress would be.

    We just need some help starting out really.

    We live in Liverpool so if anyone knows of anything that would be suitable please let me know


    Thanks in advance


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์
    Join Date
    3 Apr 2003
    Location
    Herefordshire / Wang Thong
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Colleges, schools etc. are often looking for cleaning staff. Check their websites. That's how my wife got her first job anyway.
    Lucky

  3. #3
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    22 Nov 2003
    Location
    Egremont Cumbria
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Are there any job centres, our two local ones closed a number of years ago. The NHS are always looking for cleaning staff.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    743

    Default

    raan thail supermarket in birkenhead always advertising for staff ,both my wifes jobs have been found by the local market where there is a asian food shop talking to other thails ,schools and the airport my wife tried but a lot want a crb check ,cheap to get in thailand which will be acceppted ,but you have to provide fingerprints to the thail police ,and that is expensive in the uk .

  5. #5
    Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 May 2010
    Location
    Sunderland
    Posts
    2,094
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    My wifes first job here was cleaning 1hr a day 6 days a week in a local shop. Not great to be honest but it gave her some pocket money.

    Once she established a good circle of Thai friends there were lots of job offers via word-of-mouth, mostly within Thai restaurants. My wife started off washing dishes, then moved onto prepping vegetables and helping out covering for friends shifts, which lead on to jobs in other restaurants. She is now head starter chef at a Thai restaurant. She works hard but earns a good salary. The staff turnover rate seems to be quite high, at least within the Thai restaurants my Mrs has worked at, so there are quite often opportunities come up

  6. #6
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    10 Mar 2018
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    raan thail supermarket in birkenhead always advertising for staff ,both my wifes jobs have been found by the local market where there is a asian food shop talking to other thails ,schools and the airport my wife tried but a lot want a crb check ,cheap to get in thailand which will be acceppted ,but you have to provide fingerprints to the thail police ,and that is expensive in the uk .
    Umm, but not advisable, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by PEL2112UK View Post
    Just a thought, I was concerned about my wife when feeling isolated when she comes to the UK (as I have to go to work). I was in Tesco one day, asked an Asian lady if she was Thai (anser yes), and if there was a Thai community in Bristol. She directed to a Thai Temple here in Bristol. They have their own resident monks, they were lovely people, they said my wife will be very welcome, and they will be able to help her find work if she wants. Just one way to ease a Thai wife in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    just a quick one if its working with other thails ,ie resturant supermarket thail ,then her english will go backwards ,as i found out with my wife who now works in a more english based company shes got the northern slang now aint it lol
    Last edited by PEL2112UK; 4th May 2018 at 13:28.

  7. #7

    Default

    Neither of our two local Thai restaurants pay the minimum wage. My wife started on £5 an hour back in January which I wasn't happy about but she enjoyed the work and it gave her a little experience here in the UK. After a few weeks off with them when they asked her back, I explained that they had to pay the minimum wage or they could be in a lot of trouble and they decided that £7.83 an hour was too much.

    Her boss used the Thai culture card and told me that Thai people help each other and he was working to feed his family and I explained that my wife was trying to do the same!

  8. #8
    Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 May 2010
    Location
    Sunderland
    Posts
    2,094
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Agree with the above. But in reality, rightly or wrongly I would say that is how the majority of these places work. My wife was in the same position when she started out in restaurants. But unfortunately it comes down to whether she wanted the job or not (on their terms) as there are plenty others whom will take it. Also, again whilst not ideal it's a foot in the door and experience which helps lead on to other things so it's also worth considering the bigger picture. My wife is somewhat "lucky" in that the chain she now works for is totally legit. But she would never have gotten that position if it weren't for the contacts and experience she had gained in her previous jobs

  9. #9

    Default

    I get it completely but it worth it for a few weeks that ran into three months. My wife's Thai food is a lot better than the guy's wife and he admitted that she had taught them a lot.

    The boss is an excellent Sushi chef and has lived here for 30 years and taxes and insures his car and doesn’t speed either because they are the rules in the UK. Now he knows about the minimum wage he will have to start paying it for any new staff. Or else. HMRC are very hot on it now and will delve into restaurant accounts to check on wages to staff. Penalties are fierce.

    My wife will have a Thai food delivery business over the next month or so, so she will get all the money. Hopefully more than £5 an hour!

  10. #10
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    15 Jul 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    My wife arrived at the end of December 2017.

    During the Christmas holidays I phoned an employment agency and they asked her to come and register with them the next day. A couple of days later she started working at a distribution warehouse, packing and assembling things like cosmetics, tobacco and electrical goods. That was in January - she is still working there now.

    She works long shifts - 10 hours, five days a week - but she doesn't seem to mind the work. Sure, she has good days and bad days - just like the rest of us. But on the whole, she seems to enjoy working at the warehouse and has made some good friends there as well. She earns 8 pounds an hour. I am lucky enough to be able to drop her off and collect her after work, avoiding excessive travel costs, so she makes a pretty decent amount every month. A far cry from the 300 baht a day she used to earn working in a department store in Bangkok.

    She always has some funny stories to tell me about her day when I pick her up from work. I love that. Her English is improving too. Because she is interacting with lots of different people she is broadening her vocabulary. But more than anything, I like the fact that she is doing her own thing and has gained a bit of independence.

    So...

    Perhaps get your wife to sign up with a few employment agencies and see what materialises.

    Good luck

  11. #11
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    19 Feb 2017
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rav View Post
    My wife arrived at the end of December 2017.

    During the Christmas holidays I phoned an employment agency and they asked her to come and register with them the next day. A couple of days later she started working at a distribution warehouse, packing and assembling things like cosmetics, tobacco and electrical goods. That was in January - she is still working there now.

    She works long shifts - 10 hours, five days a week - but she doesn't seem to mind the work. Sure, she has good days and bad days - just like the rest of us. But on the whole, she seems to enjoy working at the warehouse and has made some good friends there as well. She earns 8 pounds an hour. I am lucky enough to be able to drop her off and collect her after work, avoiding excessive travel costs, so she makes a pretty decent amount every month. A far cry from the 300 baht a day she used to earn working in a department store in Bangkok.

    She always has some funny stories to tell me about her day when I pick her up from work. I love that. Her English is improving too. Because she is interacting with lots of different people she is broadening her vocabulary. But more than anything, I like the fact that she is doing her own thing and has gained a bit of independence.

    So...

    Perhaps get your wife to sign up with a few employment agencies and see what materialises.

    Good luck
    Thanks Rav

    Do you mind me asking what employment agency your wife ended up using?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Location
    Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat
    Posts
    6,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I explained that they had to pay the minimum wage or they could be in a lot of trouble and they decided that £7.83 an hour was too much.

    Her boss used the Thai culture card and told me that Thai people help each other and he was working to feed his family and I explained that my wife was trying to do the same!
    Did you leave it at that or did you report him? My wife (at the time) used to work at a well known Thai resturant in Harrogate. This outfit did actually pay the minimum wage but cheated by diddling the working hours. The restaurant closed at 11pm and that's what time their staff were paid until. However no staff left before midnight as the tables had to be cleared and the washing up done + there were often customers that stayed well after 11. Although my wife became a lot braver and stood her ground on other things, she would not stand up to them on this matter.

    It was affecting me as she didn't drive at the time and I was often sitting outside waiting for her well after midnight. One night I arrived at 11pm, walked in and asked for my wife. The manager said she'd be a while as they had to clear up. I pointed out to him that she was only paid until 11pm and asked if she was now on overtime - you can guess the answer.

    I had a talk with my wife on the way home and explained that the UK is not the same as Thailand, we have rights here. The next night she went in and told them she would be leaving at 11pm unless she was paid overtime - good lass! She was well liked by the other staff and very good with customers - they didn't want to lose her so they agreed to let her leave at 11 each night. I then found that they were refusing to pay her holiday pay but after explaining things to her again I decided to leave it to her to sort out - she didn't. In the end she got a much better job and I reported them after she'd left. After a battle she got the holiday pay she was owed

    This is the UK, we have rules here and we also operate under UK culture. Exploitation, and that's what it is, is not confined to Thai restaurants, many, especially those that sell foreign food and employ foreign staff operate the same tactics - the business is well known for it.

    As far as I know the restaurant where my wife worked are still flaunting the rules as quite a few staff members live in a 'staff house' and have to pay 'rent'. The rent is inflated so as to reduce their pay. I later learned that my wife and a Polish girl who worked there were the only ones that left at 11pm and the other staff still work over for free. I think they are too scared about losing their jobs to let the authorities know what's going on.

    I've not been back there since and when anyone asks me to recommend a Thai restaurant, I tell them definitely not that one. I have no idea what happened after I reported the matter but at least my conscience is clear.
    Last edited by Flip; 5th May 2018 at 22:33.

  13. #13

    Default

    I haven’t reported him yet but it only happened a few days ago. My wife just wants to work and she is a very hard worker and the quality of a lot of the Thai food was a lot better after she started working there.

    It's quite difficult changing the way somebody thinks and I am working on it.

    If the staff collectively complained the company would have to pay all the back pay and a fine for each employee up to double the amount of back pay. The fine can also be up to £20K per employee and they are named and shamed on the government website. If the company fired any of them they would be in even deeper trouble.

    By paying cash the employee misses out paying NIC which gets them started for when they do need help later on. The company itself effectively misses out on the tax benefits too but many don't understand that.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    743

    Default

    ............

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PEL2112UK View Post
    Umm, but not advisable, right?
    i didnt say that that ,,,,i said my wife worked in a thail supermarket for six months ,the money helped as it would in any world ,and for her it was great learned lots of things like travel to work via bus and train ,BUT her english suffered ,,,,,FACT it was a downside to her job ,but since she has moved on i cant spell it aNY BETTER ITS WHAT HAPPENNED .

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PEL2112UK View Post
    Umm, but not advisable, right?
    just a quick one if its working with other thails ,ie resturant supermarket thail ,then her english will go backwards ,as i found out with my wife who now works in a more english based company shes got the northern slang now aint it lol
    were does it say dont work ???????????????????????????it doesnt,,,,, something ,,,,,,,,,to be aware off thats all

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rav View Post
    My wife arrived at the end of December 2017.

    During the Christmas holidays I phoned an employment agency and they asked her to come and register with them the next day. A couple of days later she started working at a distribution warehouse, packing and assembling things like cosmetics, tobacco and electrical goods. That was in January - she is still working there now.

    She works long shifts - 10 hours, five days a week - but she doesn't seem to mind the work. Sure, she has good days and bad days - just like the rest of us. But on the whole, she seems to enjoy working at the warehouse and has made some good friends there as well. She earns 8 pounds an hour. I am lucky enough to be able to drop her off and collect her after work, avoiding excessive travel costs, so she makes a pretty decent amount every month. A far cry from the 300 baht a day she used to earn working in a department store in Bangkok.

    She always has some funny stories to tell me about her day when I pick her up from work. I love that. Her English is improving too. Because she is interacting with lots of different people she is broadening her vocabulary. But more than anything, I like the fact that she is doing her own thing and has gained a bit of independence.

    So...

    Perhaps get your wife to sign up with a few employment agencies and see what materialises.

    Good luck
    Great stuff there so glad you mentioned the english bit as well ,it takes time ,

  15. #15
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    15 Jul 2014
    Posts
    65

    Default

    My wife is signed up with an agency called Three Way Solutions - they are based in Halifax. We live in Huddersfield and the warehouse where she works is in a town called Brighouse.

    I found the agency by doing a Google search. The lady that I spoke to on the phone sounded really nice and when my wife and I met her (Liz) the next day she was even nicer. However, some of the staff that work in these employment agencies can be horrible, so be prepared for that, and if you don't get a good vibe from them, look elsewhere.

    I think the best thing to do would be to sign up with two or three employment agencies. Some agencies are great - others are absolutely terrible. Ask them what sort of work they have available and when - some agencies are more flexible than others and will allow their temps to do a couple of days a week instead of the full week. The more agencies you sign up with the more choice you will have when it comes to picking and choosing work.

    Good luck and I am absolutely positive that your wife will find something soon.

  16. #16
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    19 Feb 2017
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rav View Post
    My wife is signed up with an agency called Three Way Solutions - they are based in Halifax. We live in Huddersfield and the warehouse where she works is in a town called Brighouse.

    I found the agency by doing a Google search. The lady that I spoke to on the phone sounded really nice and when my wife and I met her (Liz) the next day she was even nicer. However, some of the staff that work in these employment agencies can be horrible, so be prepared for that, and if you don't get a good vibe from them, look elsewhere.

    I think the best thing to do would be to sign up with two or three employment agencies. Some agencies are great - others are absolutely terrible. Ask them what sort of work they have available and when - some agencies are more flexible than others and will allow their temps to do a couple of days a week instead of the full week. The more agencies you sign up with the more choice you will have when it comes to picking and choosing work.

    Good luck and I am absolutely positive that your wife will find something soon.
    That’s brilliant thank you everyone for your advice it’s very much appreciated


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    8 Jun 2018
    Posts
    2

    Default

    We are Tapaunow-Malaysian Street Food, situated at Canary Wharf. We are looking for Thai staffs helping in the kitchen and setting customers. We are also looking for cooks. If you know anyone suitable please call us on 07766572410. Thanks!
    Last edited by Lee Ann; 10th Jun 2018 at 08:19. Reason: Duplicate

Similar Threads

  1. Part time to Full time
    By Samsung in forum UK Work Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th Mar 2018, 23:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •