Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Bangkok Post editor removed from role

This is rather worrying. It seems Umesh Pandy allowed a very critical front page article about the Junta on Friday and he was removed from his position on Monday.

Khaosod reported that the last straw resulting in Umesh's removal came in a meeting during which board executives chided him for running a one-sided story critical of the regime when the company was about to invite junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha to an event celebrating the papers 72nd birthday.

Amongst other things, Khaosod report the BP's Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Nha-Kran Loahavilai, stated the following:

“We pleaded with him, and let me repeat the word, we pleaded. We pleaded with him. ‘Umesh, can you reconsider what you’re doing?’” Nha-Kran said. “Then he pulled a tantrum. He said he’s done so many good things. He acted like he didn’t give a damn about the company. This happened right in the board meeting.”

“And it wasn’t the first time. He’s done it three, four times. No one pressured him at all. The board saw his actions and thought we could not work together,” he added.

Got to be honest, it seems to me that Nha-Kran really shouldn't be allowed within a 100km of any newspaper. So that's it, no editorial independence admitted and fawning to the Junta's PM is more important.

For sure, there's the usual bad mothing about Pandy after he's gone. But the above statement speaks volumes.

Guardian article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... government

Bangkok Post statement here:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... l-autonomy

Khaosod article here:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... gkok-post/
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

It's no surprise at all really. I am not in favour of the Junta ruling the country but in all fairness its so rooted in corruption and dishonesty (Thai politics) that it will take decades to find a democratic solution. Both parties have failed the nation time and time again. This mob seem to be doing the same but maybe in a different way.

But there wasn't so much censorship around until the Junta took over. One TV station has been taken down for a month as the Junta doesn't like the content.

I fear trouble is brewing.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

In a sad sort of way I hope it is brewing. They have had their own way for too long and are taking full advantage. The problem is another useless bunch will take over and the merry-go-round will continue.

I haven't lived there for a few years so I don't know how it is.

I get the impression that since the previous nibs left us the new one has little impact and the Junta are taking the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    I get the impression that since the previous nibs left us the new one has little impact and the Junta are taking the mantle.
    Well all political parties are still banned from playing politics. Herr General was wooing the masses in Buriram the other day, as he can, because he makes his own rules whilst today, 3 exec members of Pheu Thai have been told they will be prosecuted for seeking to hold a press conference, something they have been doing regularly. The screw is beginning to be turned.
    'Tis me