Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Any tips on learning the Thai language

After living here 3 years, I feel it's about time I made more of an effort to learn the Thai language. I must admit I've had a few false starts. Not sure about investing in one of the many language schools in the Pattaya area. I've tried a thing called the Pimsluer method. It was okay, but didn't seem to teach me the basic everyday conversation that I'm looking for. I have an Austlalian neighbour who is fluent in Thai. He told me he learn't from just learning a word/phrase a day. Told me to pick the words that I would use often. So I'm into week 3 and now know 20+ phrases. My partner corrects my tones and tests me every night. It's seems good at the moment, but I do wonder how I will get on in a couple of months time when I should be able to speak and know the meaning of 80+ phrases. Can any member share what worked for them? I'm not interested in learning to read or write, just to be able to understand and have basic convers

Sorry if this subject has been posted before, I did have a scan down and couldn't find a thread.

Member สมาชิก

I would suggest one on one lessons in a "real" language school, rather than learn phonetically learn to read and write. It's a slower process but once you get the basics down you can start to read books, children's at first and then move on to magazines and news papers. This way is no doubt slower but far more rewarding, and ultimately better.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks James. You're not the first to suggest learning to read and write. It just looks so difficult.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Shrimper View Post
    Thanks James. You're not the first to suggest learning to read and write. It just looks so difficult.
    It's not easy, but not as hard as you think. Once you are able to recognise common words you will start to be able to break up the sentences into words. I'm not as good as I was but you find yourself after a while reading street signs, adverts, things like that without even realising and once you start to do that you will improve without even realising. Its important to learn correct pronunciations first of all hence the one on one lessons.

One thing you will find amusing though is how many Thai words those who speak "bar Thai" think they've nailed, but are way off. And don't start me on using correct multipliers, or sometimes even using them at all ....

Member สมาชิก

Well I don't think I'll ever be fluent, but it would be nice when I visit my girfriends family to have some basic conversations. I am trying to incorperate what I learn into daily use.

Premium Member

I learnt through working there and being around Thais. I backed it up by learning to read and write from the book. I really enjoyed learning it oddly.

In all honesty, just start speaking more and more and it will come. Reading and writing is good if you want to command your ability but if you are looking to understand what people are saying you won't need it.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for you post Barnet. I am still learning a word/phrase a day. But am picking stuff that I will use every day. My partner is helping with my tone and I feel I am making progress. Slow going but I'm not in a race

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi - hope your learning is going well. For me, I did basic one on one lessons for a month and on top of that I taught myself the alphabet and all the tonal sounds and from there started to read and spoke thai (probably quite badly to begin with!!!) to loads of thai people (who in general are really good and will help to correct you). I found I had to learn the Thai alphabet and how to read because it has a dramatic effect on your pronunciation which is really important in thai as I am sure you know. I used to use kids school books which were really cheap to learn from and thai friends helped me aswell. Hope that may be of some help. Good luck

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Tam.

Looks like the way forward is to learn the Thai alphabet. For sure I need to be speaking the language every day. I need to commit some time to learning every day. Thanks for your post and sharing your learning journey.

Rookie มือใหม่

I forgot to say - It will be amazingly helpful if you have a thai person to listen to you say the alphabet and pronounce the sounds and tones. Anyone will do but it works better if its a more formal relationship and IDEAL if you can find a retired schoolteacher!!! Ask around - maybe a friends parent or grandparent???

Member สมาชิก

My partner is very helpful, and pretty strict om me getting the tone right.