Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Giving up Thai citizenship

Hello there. Been a good few years since I last visited so good to see TUK still up & running. Right...down to the question...because rules & regulations change as frequently as the weather at times I’m hoping somebody with up to date info can help me here (is Tobias still knocking about?).
    My daughter has now reached the age of 18 & still wishes to renounce her Thai nationality. I am British, mum is Thai (for those who dont remember/know me). How does one legally go about doing this & is it even possible?
    I did raise this issue several years ago but am not aware of the outcome of the thread & as I said, I know rules change regularly. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards CJ

Mods please feel free to move this topic to another section if posted in the wrong place. Ta.
    In hoc signo crucis vinces

Member สมาชิก

Out of interest, why does she want to do this?

I think there are a few reasons rather than just one. Its something she has always mentioned. She doesnt feel Thai, doesnt speak any of the language. We dont go there that much these days so she has very little connection to the place. She considers herself purely British & is quite happy to leave it at that. She enjoys holidaying there when we do go but thats as much as it’ll ever be to her I think, a holiday destination. Her choice...

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

She needs to contact the Thai embassy to obtain the correct paperwork.
    Lucky

The age of majority in Thailand is 20. She can't apply in her own right until she reaches that age.

There is absolutely no harm in her doing nothing and retaining dual nationality. Status quo. She is under no obligation to get a Thai passport, nor make use of her Thai citizenship in any other way.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    The age of majority in Thailand is 20. She can't apply in her own right until she reaches that age.

There is absolutely no harm in her doing nothing and retaining dual nationality. Status quo. She is under no obligation to get a Thai passport, nor make use of her Thai citizenship in any other way.
    yes i would say its nice to have in the back pocket ,Do the thails encourage women not to give up there nationality or something like that sure i read it somewhere on here .

What would happen if she met the man of her dreams on a holiday to Thailand in a few years time and he happened to be Thai? So much easier if you have Thai citizenship in your back pocket.

You might never need it but how useful could it be?

Welcome back Casey Jones I would second the above, if there is nothing detrimental over her having dual citizenship, then maybe you could coax her into, as mentioned above, "keeping it in her back pocket" and it will also save her having to go through bother and effort to have it cancelled, plus depending on she feels about things in the future or if she does want to have an association with Thailand later in life/visit a country where Thai nationals benefit from Visa exemptions, not being able to utilise it.

Hope all else is going well for you.

Hello Paul, long time no see. We were just looking through photos the other day of when we came up to yours to catch up. Hope all well.
    I know one thing that does bother her is if she is unfortunately caught up in any issues involving the law in Thailand she has a lot less protection from the British Embassey being as she is a dual citizen of Thailand. Not that she is in anyway ‘that way inclined’ but you sometimes cant help what others do around you & unfortunately getting dragged in yourself. The movie ‘Bangkok Palace’ being one such example. She’s been on about this issue for some years now & is pretty adamant she wants to drop the Thai citizenship. I have to respect her views, just looking at how she needs to go about it. There is almost zero chance of her wanting to settle in Thailand & buy land there. As far as she is concerned she’s British, is quite happy conversing all day in Welsh & wants to settle here in Nth Wales teaching geography in a Welsh language school when she finishes uni.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Hello KhunIanB-UK...all well at the moment thank you. Still driving the trains, plan on hanging my loco key up in another 5 years & then sit back & enjoy early retirement if all works out ok. Right now just enjoying the glorious weather. Hope all ok with yourself?This brings back some memories popping back into TUK. All those long discussions with Henson etc etc...dont time fly lol.
    Last edited by Casey Jones; 14th Jul 2018 at 15:54.

One question asked was is it possible : A friend of my wife and a sister in law did it last year or the year before, it was all done in her country of residence in this case that was South Korea.
    bangkok mags

Casey my friend, how the hell are you. It's great to see you here
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Someone has written a blog on this :-

https://sopez.wordpress.com/2017/04/...i-citizenship/

Seems like a lot of effort required. Can't your daughter just carry her UK passport when in LOS?
    aka Spud / aka MF

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I would hate to call the british Embassey in any country i visited as that normally means your in serious trouble and there isnt much they can do .

Manfarang...just read that link, looks painful. My daughter hasn’t even got a ‘house registration’ or ID card, just a passport that is out of date by about 13 years.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Hello Kieth, nice to see you are still here. Hows life in your neck of the woods? Fine I hope. All ok here, just getting older (49 ‘again’ now), working harder & going greyer. Good to see TUK still up & running & doing well.

Blog Entries

Well look who the cat dragged in! Welcome back CJ
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Hello Tobias, nice to ‘see you’. Keeping well I trust?

Blog Entries

We are thanks CJ. Although you wouldn't recognise the kids now, not the little angels you'd remember - they are 22 and 24 now!

Jenny sends her best
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.