Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Affirmation Checks

Asking this on behalf of a friend who wishes to remain anonymous;

Friend is a Thai girl that got married in 2011 to a UK citizen in Thailand then subsequently applied for visa to UK and now resides there with her husband and has obtained UK citizenship. She has found out that her husband has been having an affair with a girl from Morocco and has reason to believe that he has married her illegally as they are still married.

In Morocco they have a similar system to Thailand where British nationals must go to the embassy and obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry. Her query before she takes this to the relevant authorities is, is it possible to obtain a genuine affirmation from the embassy if you are legally married in the UK? do the embassies just take that persons word for it or do they actually run checks on the persons status?

Thanks

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

As far as I know, they just take the applicant's word for it. Think of it like this, I was both married and divorced in Thailand - even if the British Embassy had access to marriage and divorce records (which I doubt), they would only have access to British records. Neither my marriage or divorce will be on any British records so I could tell them I'm divorced and they would have no way of knowing.

Member สมาชิก

No they do not run a check. Instead what they do is sign that you have made the affirmation in front of the embassy. You have therefore given a legal undertaking to the British Embassy of your marital status.

Blog Entries

I presume as you are asking the question here that the husband is not a member of this forum, if he is a members here then I suspect the cat might be out of the bag!

Quote Originally Posted by bingobano View Post
    ... She has found out that her husband has been having an affair with a girl from Morocco and has reason to believe that he has married her illegally as they are still married...
    What evidence exists that causes her to believe her husband has married the 'mia noi'?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

I am quite surprised at this. When we got married in the UK the Registrar wouldn’t do anything until he had heard back from the Thai Embassy that my now wife was free to marry.