Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Default Full Medical, over 50's MOT, BKK

Does anyone know of a place/recommend a place in BKK where I can get a full over 50's MOT, bloods, prostate, heart, lungs etc.
    As I'm not getting any younger I just want to get a good once over to make sure I am still good to go.

Thanks
    Wayne

Some Hospitals have check-up programs.

For example, Bnh, etc.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    As I'm not getting any younger I just want to get a good once over to make sure I am still good to go.
    Patpong, Nana Plaza, Pattaya. Loads of places
    Lucky

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

I can't recommend anywhere in particular but I would say - have a clear idea of what you want before you go. I've had some experience of private hospitals in Thailand and it took me a while to get used to the differences between them and the state hospitals in the UK that I'm used to.

You have to be careful when the 'selling starts', you may be offered things you don't really need and conversely you may be discouraged from certain tests because that particular hospital doesn't have the facilities. You may already be used to private medical care but if you're not, its a different ball game.

Just an example. In 2015 I was due to fly out to Thailand for a month just as I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I was in the middle of investigations as to the extent of the disease but I refused to cancel my plans. I had an agreement with my doctor that I would have my blood tested 2 weeks into my trip and if my PSA had risen significantly I would return to the UK. As it happens my PSA fell a little but trying to get a simple blood test was very difficult - all the hospitals I called wanted me to have a consultation as well as a blood test. I explained to each of them that I had already been diagnosed and didn't need a consultation but it wouldn't wash.

I ended up at the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya where I had the test and a sort of mini consultation by way of a compromise. Even then, the doctor there tried to 'sell' me some extra services but soon gave up when he could see he was on to a loser. I have since been given the name of a clinic that would have done the blood test only.

Its a very different experience when its all about the cash - just bear that in mind.

I need Certified Medicals every two years, last one I got was at Bumrungrad International in Bangkok (not too far from Nana) a far as I know the only Doctor in TH authorized to do the one I need is at that Hospital, they will certainly do over 50's check ups but no idea of the price, the one I got was half the price I normally pay in the UK.
    Lots of Arabs / Middle Easterners use the Hospital which if you have not been is like a 5 star hotel.
    My Cert's ran out, but I wont need one until March 2019.
    bangkok mags

Yeah I need a medical for work every two years but its only a basic one just so they know you are not going to keel over as soon as your at work lol
    This is more for me....as I/we are not getting any younger, having done a bit of research I have found a few places doing the type of stuff I am after

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/e...s/checkup-svh/
    https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/health...ck-up-packages
    https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/h...ck-up-bangkok/
    https://www.bnhhospital.com/packages...ogrammes-2018/

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Do they provide a printed (not hand written) report in English and explain test results and readings?

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    Do they provide a printed (not hand written) report in English and explain test results and readings?
    I couldnt tell you, but as and when I use one I will update on here

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    The ones I have had have been, The Certificate is a " Must Be " in English, with a separate document explaining the results including blood and urine tests etc...
    bangkok mags

I had blood taken recently (NHS), would they run tests for everything automatically?
    I'm wondering if I should get my prostrate checked but as I've had a blood test would that have shown anything up?
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I had blood taken recently (NHS), would they run tests for everything automatically?
    No, there are literally thousands of things that blood can be tested for. The only things that are likely to be tested are:

a). In the case of a specific health problem - things connected with that problem.

b). In the case of an age related check up - PSA (prostate), diabetes, a couple of others that I can't remember and anything your GP/Consultant has asked for (this also varies from doctor to doctor).

Basically, its just about impossible to get tested for everything - there are norms that are tested for in a health check but they are confined to either age related common problems or connected to a specific health complaint.

Having the disease myself I would recommend all guys over 40 get their PSA tested regularly. A lot of doctors would disagree with me but the same doctors would also agree that had my PSA been checked earlier, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Thanks for the detailed answer Flip.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Marshal because I am diabetic I have blood tests every 6 months and always ask for a PSA its not 100 % but knowing before is useful it wants to be no higher than 4. Friend of 70 years recently asked for the test and was asked what he wanted for. If it had been me I would have gone loopy
    At our age prevention is better than cure
    Melnathan

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    it wants to be no higher than 4.
    4? a figure I can only dream of . 189 on diagnosis.

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I can't recommend anywhere in particular but I would say - have a clear idea of what you want before you go. I've had some experience of private hospitals in Thailand and it took me a while to get used to the differences between them and the state hospitals in the UK that I'm used to.

You have to be careful when the 'selling starts', you may be offered things you don't really need and conversely you may be discouraged from certain tests because that particular hospital doesn't have the facilities. You may already be used to private medical care but if you're not, its a different ball game.

Just an example. In 2015 I was due to fly out to Thailand for a month just as I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I was in the middle of investigations as to the extent of the disease but I refused to cancel my plans. I had an agreement with my doctor that I would have my blood tested 2 weeks into my trip and if my PSA had risen significantly I would return to the UK. As it happens my PSA fell a little but trying to get a simple blood test was very difficult - all the hospitals I called wanted me to have a consultation as well as a blood test. I explained to each of them that I had already been diagnosed and didn't need a consultation but it wouldn't wash.

I ended up at the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya where I had the test and a sort of mini consultation by way of a compromise. Even then, the doctor there tried to 'sell' me some extra services but soon gave up when he could see he was on to a loser. I have since been given the name of a clinic that would have done the blood test only.

Its a very different experience when its all about the cash - just bear that in mind.
    Doesnt going whilst under investigations invalidate any insurance cover or just removes coverage for the specified illness ??

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Doesnt going whilst under investigations invalidate any insurance cover or just removes coverage for the specified illness ??
    No idea and frankly, much the same as then, I don't care. I will not let this disease ruin my life.

I have enquired about insurance since and both of the companies I rang that claimed to be offering insurance for those with existing conditions were, in my opinion, crooks who prey on people in difficult circumstances. Clearly they cannot be expected to cover any existing conditions but I don't see how they can justify charging over double the 'going rate'. Yes there can be complications arising from the existing condition but any expert opinion should be able to determine that and they would also not be covered. I don't see how a person with one illness is any more likely to get an unrelated condition or be any more at risk of theft or accident so what is the justification for the high premiums?

As things stand, with the amount of trips I make and the prices quoted, I not longer see it making financial sense/affordable to have insurance and therefore don't take it out. There could be problems ahead though - a lot of talk in the Thai press about making medical insurance compulsory for tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    As things stand, with the amount of trips I make and the prices quoted, I not longer see it making financial sense/affordable to have insurance and therefore don't take it out. There could be problems ahead though - a lot of talk in the Thai press about making medical insurance compulsory for tourists.

I've thought about not bothering to, but then I read about someone uninsured who has an accident and has to find tens of thousands of pounds to be flown home.
    When taking out insurance I worry the company will find any excuse not to pay out as I read this happens a lot to, my last insurance cover had so many exclusions I didn't see how it was worth taking out.
    I guess this is why you should always pay a bit extra and go with a reputable company - there's less chance of problems if you need to make a claim.

Rookie มือใหม่

Going without coverage is fine if you have fairly instant access to say £100,000 minimum but going without and leaving yourself open to a nightmare scenario is selfish if you have family subsequently having to bail you out