Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Renting a house in Thailand easy or not?

Hi all, i do have a plan to build a house In Thailand eventually but there may be a need to rent a house for 6 months maybe longer, I would prefer a two to three bed place and a bit of off road parking and a garden, would be looking at khon kaen area preferably or up to a 15 mile radius from khon kaen.
    Lets assume that I will have a visa non immigrant O A (retirement) and will be renting alone, what is the procedure? Deposit requirements, paperwork required etc.
    just putting this out there as if me and the gf don't work out together then I will rent alone.
    many thanks in advance for any replys, and apologies for yet another 'what if' thread.
    essex boys

Member สมาชิก

The deposit is generally two months rent, no references are generally taken. Make sure you make a good photographic record when you move in as many Landlords spend the deposit money and will think of any excuse not to give you back your deposit at the end of the term.

All the landlord may want is a copy of your passport and visa. In Law they are supposed to register you with Immigration (TM30) and you will need this also when reporting or extending your visa,
    Last edited by James HKT; 1st Sep 2018 at 01:47.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Renting is straight forward, no special documents needed. New rental laws came into effect 1 May for landlords that have 5 or more places for rent. Those landlords that have less than 5 are asked to follow the new regulations but do not have to. My advise would be to get water and electricity bills in your name as landlords are known to charge you up to double of what is on the bill. You will be required to pay a deposit mostly likely 2 months plus 1 in advance. If renting 5 or more by law it is 1 month deposit and 1 in advance. If less than 5 they can ask for 2 or more. I suggest you try and get 1 month up front only because you are unlikely to get any deposit back. Look at the new laws online and get the landlord to follow them.

Very good replies gents, and straightforward information. It doesn't look overly complicated then, I will heed the advice given here should I end up renting.
    many thanks gents
    essex boys

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    My advise would be to get water and electricity bills in your name as landlords are known to charge you up to double of what is on the bill.
    I'm renting a house in Pak Chong at the moment so that I can store my furniture, motorbikes and have somewhere to stay whilst I'm renovating my house. I have tried to get the electricity and water into my name at both the rental house and my own. Both the PEA and the water company refuse to change the name on the bill unless my name is on the Tabien Baan (the PEA do allow payment from my bank account by direct debit though). So I doubt its actually possible but you would be well advised to check what the landlord is charging and try to sort it out if they are making on it. Jimmbo is correct - I had a condo in Bangkok a few years ago and the landlord was ripping me on both water and electric. I had to threaten to leave before they stopped it.

The one thing I haven't tried is using my usufruct agreement to change the bill names - I may have a go on my forthcoming trip.