Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Pattaya motorcycle fine

Pattaya has introduced a strict motorcycle checks around Pattaya now.
    Just thought i would share this video with you all.
    I know this guy in the video can be annoying, But if it helps anyone then its worth sharing.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Sammy Shrimper's Avatar

As mentioned before, all what this guy says is readily available on any of the Thailand on-line English printed newspapers. This is NOT just Pattaya, It's the whole of Thailand that's being affected by the proposed changes.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...-licence-fines
    Get busy living or get busy dying

Member สมาชิก

Good and so it should be.

Down here the police will accept a licence from a foreigner's home country without an IDP as long as it's in English.

I know I'm going to be labelled a "Killjoy" but I second James' approval. I started riding motorbikes in the UK at 15 and have held a bike licence since I was 16. I am now 62 and although there have been periods without a motorbike I like to consider myself a biker. I have been going to Thailand for 10 years now and am still gobsmacked that farangs who have never been on a bike in their life, have a belly full of beer then suddenly decide renting a motorbike is a good idea! If this initiative helps them realise that a full driving licence for a car (and a belly full of beer) does NOT entitle them to ride motorbikes then it is a good thing in my book.

My understanding of the IDP is that it is NOT a legal requirement for Thailand where the licence is in English. However, try telling that to the average traffic cop in rural Thailand. Even though it's not strictly a requirement I still always take the IDP with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    My understanding of the IDP is that it is NOT a legal requirement for Thailand where the licence is in English.
    I am surprised at that, otherwise what is the point of an IDP!

I believe things changed just before I left for my May trip and the "rules" were that you now required an IDP, your UK licence and your passport when riding a motorbike.

I always get an IDP anyway, but this time I did take my UK licence as well.

I got stopped many times (never drink if I am on the motorbike) and it was always IDP (never asked for UK license or passport), even using my IDP as an example for a group of Chinese that had been stooped, that I saw had no idea how to ride a motorbike.

Edit
    Just looked this up and you are correct Allan, although I still have the old green licence (no photo) so I think I do require one.

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. (See motoring law below) If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license. As a tourist, rental car companies, insurance companies and police will all accept your home license.

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42
    Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
    The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
    This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
    If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
    In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2
    In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.
    Last edited by Gary & Nok; 4th Sep 2018 at 15:19.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Any move to try and improve the road safety here is more than welcome. I know the licence centres have improved, slighty. One of my friends has been trying to get a motorbike licence and keeps failing the theroy test. Unfortunately it's still quite an easy road test. He had to ride round a figure eight of bollards and that was the physical side done. So if you can do that easy task you can be let loose on a powerful motorbike. Madness. Safety helmets are meant to be compulsory, but you still see 100's per day not wearing one. You see police ignore this and wait for some poor farang to come along and lighten his wallet. It's been a few years since I got a IDP from the post office, but I'm sure it hasn't gone up much, five pounds well spent I would think.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

It all comes down to the cop in front of you if you are stopped. If he wants some dosh he will do his best to get it. I got stopped and asked to blow in that unclean pipe thing. Of course it registered zero, but after looking at it , he still asked have you been drinking, and when I said no he asked are you sure.

Member สมาชิก

I haven't had an IDP for many years, but if memory serves they have a variety of languages inside, but no Thai. Is that still the case??

JJ

Police only look at the photo and the date on the front anyway.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Last few days I have used Motorcycle Taxi to the BTS (BKK) Normally they give a crash helmet if the Police have set up to pull people over, so Thursday was asked to put one on, but there was no Police check, this morning was given a helmet, again no Police stop but I noticed every passenger using MCT had helmet on, so time will tell if this is the new Norm...
    bangkok mags

Someone I know who lives in a quiet town way North of BKK was fined 300baht recently for not wearing one, she was very surprised.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Someone I know who lives in a quiet town way North of BKK was fined 300baht recently for not wearing one, she was very surprised.
    I always lecture / remind Mrs about wearing crash helmets etc as before I met her she had a bad accident on a motorbike resulting in smashed cheek bone,eye socket among other head and body injuries, she did nt have a helmet on, all these years later has problems with a nerve or nerves that run from behind her ear and go to her eye, had a head scan at Nottingham University Hospitals to get to the route of it, they thought maybe a growth / growths effecting the nerves but could not find anything, this is how she came to be interested in nerves and studying nerves .... But all could have been avoided by the wearing of a crash helmet (facial and head injuries)
    She called me from Surin a month or so ago and said her mam had been stopping with her and one of her sisters was here to pick her up , I asked Car/Pick Up / Bike .... and by the long silence and no answer I knew it was a Bike..." has she got a helmet "? ...long silence ... "Right that's it, no helmet I will becoming to see her tomorrow , she can tell me why no helmet" ... Mrs relayed this and the outcome was Mare would wear Mrs helmet but it does nt fit ... my reply was "it's got adjustable straps to make it fit another persons head" ... so it all got adjusted and Mrs just let her keep it, she would get a new one.... I also chirped in with "I dont want her riding sideways, she should sit properly with feet on the footrests"
    Next morning got another call from Mrs ... went to buy a new crash helmet, but on the Bike, went round a corner straight into a fine at a Police check , No Helmet (Think was 500 baht)... to which obviously she knows possibly word for word what I will say in a irate Rant , could nt believe it especially having taking a "Dickie Fit" the day before about her mam... and she knows im right, I was absolutely Livid...
    bangkok mags

It's so stupid knowing how many die on the roads each day in Thailand. 80% on two wheels.

My wife came off her bike last time she was in Thailand and gashed her knee badly. I hope she'e learned to stay off two wheels but soemhow I doubt it.

There's a lot wrong over here on this subject of safety helmets. The police do not enforce the law. I've seen Thai's ride by the police many times without wearing one. Only very occasionaly do they stop them. I've seen 4 on a bike ride pass without being stopped, none wearing the headwear. The one's I really don't like is when you see small children hanging on, never wearing any form of protective headwear. I've seen the selfish parents, one's wearing a safety helmet, but the child not. To be honest, when you see the "Cheap Charlie" helmets they sell in the likes of Tesco/Lotus or Big C, I'm not sure they would offer up much proyection anyway.

Old Hand มือเก่า

My outlaws ignore my wishes of placing my son in a baby seat when they drive. If I had my way they wouldn't see him without my presence. They are all educated to degree level also so imagine the attitudes of our friends in the boonies.

If I ever moved back to Thailand I would have to ignore threads like this and many on other forums as it makes me lose complete and utter respect for the natives. Putting yourself at risk is up to you entirely but like SS said, seeing kids clinging on the back of bikes without helmets is another matter altogether.
    Lazy, selfish, stupid...where to begin?

Not sure how or why a thumbs down to Sammys post but Sisaket agrees with every word he has written and should be a thumbs UP...
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Not sure how or why a thumbs down to Sammys post but Sisaket agrees with every word he has written and should be a thumbs UP...
    Slip of the finger

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    My outlaws ignore my wishes of placing my son in a baby seat when they drive.
    Even when you're actually there? Or just when you're not there and you see it when you pick him up?

On our last trip my wife was much better with this, didn't try it on once. Perhaps, after 6 years of living in the UK, she's conceding best practice.

However she did constantly drive too fast and close to cars in front and ignored speed limit signs, along with most drivers. Not once did I see anyone slow down in reaction to speed limit signs, even when they were accompanied by notices of cameras in the vicinity. It was such a contrast to the UK. As I settled back in the taxi from Heathrow, I saw the dynamic speed limit signs come on and a sea of traffic in front of us slowed to obey. Ah... sense.

Driving fast in Thailand or without helmets on bikes or without baby seats is doubly insane when you consider:
    a) the standard of driving around you. It gives you no time to react to the inevitable mistakes of others
    b) the non-existent emergency services